Inside the HDMI cable scam

Options
emoxley
emoxley Posts: 205
edited August 2010 in Electronics
I thought some of you would be interested in reading this article from MSNBC.com: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38731070/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/
Some of us have known this for a long time, so the article is no surprise. There's lots of people getting into HT that needs to learn this, so companies like Monster won't thrive on their naive thinking........... :)
Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
Pioneer PL-514 turntable
Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote
Post edited by emoxley on

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited August 2010
    Options
    good thing i never ordered them AQ HDMI's
    mole'
  • emoxley
    emoxley Posts: 205
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Oops, sorry 'bout that.............:o
    Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2010
    Options
    search button...been discussed so many times before. if your dumb enough to buy them and not do the research ahead of time I feel no sympathy for you.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ^What he said.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Lost
    Lost Posts: 48
    edited August 2010
    Options
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    search button...been discussed so many times before. if your dumb enough to buy them and not do the research ahead of time I feel no sympathy for you.

I need a tissue....
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It is true that this has been discussed a number of times and is well known to members here. Still most people who buy an HDMI cable or two are pretty much at the mercy of the guy who is selling them their first HDTV or Blu-ray player..etc.

Considering how much misinformation is out there for the general public and the real fact that High Tech is a big mystery to the average consumer it's EASY for Monster or any other maker to make claims that seem very very Believable to most.

It's a shame...but it is true. Maybe we need an entire box of tissues. lol

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So now that we busted open the can of worms for HDMI cables, anyone care to elaborate performance on speaker cables? Some say a lamp cord can perform just as good as those 1000 dollar cables. Any truth to that I ask?
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited August 2010
    Options
    JuanR wrote: »
    So now that we busted open the can of worms for HDMI cables, anyone care to elaborate performance on speaker cables? Some say a lamp cord can perform just as good as those 1000 dollar cables. Any truth to that I ask?

Search function is your friend. Both speaker cable+analog interconnect discussions have gone on way too many times to be brought up again!

In my experience, I've heard major differences. Others have not. The other group, refuses to give them a try. To each their own.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • JuanR
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You are right my man, their is a lot of info out there and i'm kind of gun shy right now on purchasing a pair because of the -Lack-of-moola- syndrome. But maybe if I catch a break soon i'll check some out. Snow has pair right now that i'm debating on.... DAMN Funds!
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2010
    Options

Nice try! :rolleyes:
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The evil has been somewhat hibernating lately and believe me, you should leave it alone if evil is suddenly awaken, he usally gets pretty mad ;) If you are a biliever, you spend the necessary $$$, if you are a non believer well you stay away but do so in silence ;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I just love that Monster Cable is one of the main subjects. As mentioned by Treitz, if you're not aware of how your money is spent.....
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited August 2010
    Options

Nope.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • JKoltner
    JKoltner Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    Options
    In case it's not clear what's going on here, brick & mortar stores have shifted to a revenue model whereby they make very little money on the "Big Ticket" item such as a TV or stereo itself -- since most consumers do a fair amount of comparison shopping for that, including on-line -- and now make very healthy margins on accessories such as HDMI cables.

Basically, it's all these over-priced accessories that are keeping brick & mortar stores open: The operating cost per square foot for a Best Buy is *huge* compared to an Amazon.Com or similar.

Most people here are probably aware that places like monoprice.com have very good prices on decent quality audio/video cables. If not, check'em out next time you need some!

I do find it interesting that Polk themselves is now advertising "Monster Cable wiring inside!" on some of their speakers. I guess that's successful marketing for you -- associating a brand with "well, at least it won't suck." (Bose is a master of this!)

---Joel
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited August 2010
    Options

a good starting off speaker cable for me was the MonoPrice

i used these
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2

with these
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2

i now have MIT cables and after the burnt in. they is a BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
    mole'
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited August 2010
    Options
    JKoltner wrote: »
    In case it's not clear what's going on here, brick & mortar stores have shifted to a revenue model whereby they make very little money on the "Big Ticket" item... and now make very healthy margins on accessories such as HDMI cables....

That's nothing new. I recall the same thing back in the early 90's when I worked at a national chain computer store where I was able to buy at store cost--Printers had very low margin, while printer cables and the like were 50%-80% or more margin.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I don't know why everybody gets so hung up on having to use the incredibly powerful/all knowing search feature before posting--WTH, you have to search the whole of Club Polk before posting something that might be of interest to others? Please!
    cnh wrote: »
    It is true that this has been discussed a number of times and is well known to members here. Still most people who buy an HDMI cable or two are pretty much at the mercy of the guy who is selling them their first HDTV or Blu-ray player..etc.

Considering how much misinformation is out there for the general public and the real fact that High Tech is a big mystery to the average consumer it's EASY for Monster or any other maker to make claims that seem very very Believable to most.

+1
    I also don't understand why a consumer would be considered 'dumb' because they are not all knowing. Technology is advancing at such a fast rate--it's not unexpected for 'lay' people to fall behind with respect to what is legit or hyper marketing strategies, esp., as CNH said, with all the misinformation already out there.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2010
    Options

Basically, it's all these over-priced accessories that are keeping brick & mortar stores open: The operating cost per square foot for a Best Buy is *huge* compared to an Amazon.Com or similar.

---Joel

No Joke.

The space that Bose, for example, occupies by contract can cost anywhere from 500,000 to 1 million per store. That's a factual number but I'm not sure if that was followed up with yearly or not.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I do find it interesting that Polk themselves is now advertising "Monster Cable wiring inside!" on some of their speakers. I guess that's successful marketing for you -- associating a brand with "well, at least it won't suck." (Bose is a master of this!)

---Joel
    :confused: Really? I've never seen this.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    :confused: Really? I've never seen this.

Agreed. What does it say that?
  • dvran
    dvran Posts: 280
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Also,

You have to watch out for those bundle "deals" Bestbuy offers. Where they throw in the HDMI cable, cleaning wipes and dumb squad installation for an extra $100. What a rip. Accessories is where places like Bestbuy make their bottom line.
    ~Dan

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ....and the extended warranties.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JuanR
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ...and installations... Check out what they charge to program your remote!
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited August 2010
    Options

I'm not a believer. If someone could show that, under normal operating conditions, a cable would make a real difference, I'd be happy with that. It's too easy to spot what's simply inadequate (too thin for too long a run, picking up interference, etc.), it's very tough to say what's enough versus too much.

Anyways, there's a reason that error correction is included in most digital standards. Technology is unfortunately a mystery for many people. To me, it's not. To my mum, it is. To my stepfather, it is but he sees more money as equaling a better product.
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2010
    Options
    nope.

H9

+1111
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited August 2010
    Options

---Joel

Huh?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Deleted since it doesn't really perain to HDMI cables
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2010
    Options

We didn't bust open anything. HDMI has been discussed to death along with high end cables. If your happy with your lamp cord,rock on, the truth comes from experience. If you have none,then you have nothing to add to the thread.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ...anyone care to elaborate performance on speaker cables? Some say a lamp cord can perform just as good as those 1000 dollar cables. Any truth to that I ask?

There really is no need for anyone to elaborate. Just use the same common sense and reasoning you would use for any other consumer purchase. Let's apply your question to other fields of merchandise:

"Some say a $100 off-the-rack men's suit can perform just as good as those tailor made 1000 dollar suits. Any truth to that I ask?"

"Some say a $3000 used car can perform just as good as those 100,000 dollar sports cars. Any truth to that I ask?"

"Some say a $100 set of tires can perform just as good as those 1000 dollar high performance tires. Any truth to that I ask?"

In the three previous examples, most people have no difficulty understanding that under certain use circumstances:

There may be little or no performance difference between a $100 suit and a $1000 suit.

For traveling to work and the grocery store, there may be little to no difference between a $3000 used car and a $100,000 sports car.

For normal driving, with a vehicle of modest to low performance, there may be little to no difference between a set of $100 tires and a set costing $1000.

In some systems, there will be no discernible difference between lamp cord and a $1000 high performance, well engineered speaker cable. However, I would hope that people would have the presence of mind to match the performance level of cables and other accessories to the performance level of the electronics and speakers in their audio and video systems.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!