Hardware & Ring for mounting your MW Drivers

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
edited June 2010 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well since I have my SDA 1.2tl's torn down I had a brain storm on the hardware to mount the drivers and passives. I noticed the threaded inserts not really flush to the wood and two of them came out while I was pulling the drivers. so instead of the wood taking the preasure to hold the driver I thought of a way to make a ring with 8-32 standoffs and sandwich the wood instead. I also made a templates to drill out the holes to accommodate the hardware after I take out the threaded inserts that are there of course.

In this pick you can see one of the templates to drill the holes.

Speakerrefurb005.jpg

This pic shows you one of the rings with the hardware.

Speakerrefurb007.jpg

Now you can see I will install them from the back side.

Speakerrefurb006.jpg

This pic/s shows you the hardware that is in it now.

Speakerrefurb001.jpg

Speakerrefurb004.jpg

Now the rings for the passives will need to be cut in half to get them in but will work the same non the less,and you can see the template for them as well.

Speakerrefurb012.jpg

Speakerrefurb009.jpg

Speakerrefurb013.jpg
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I will use hot glue to hold them in place and keep them from any vibrations. Another plus for having access to a laser plus other tools to do things like this...

This will keep from having any problems in the future with stipping the wood, and should also give a tighter fit up and good seal with the mortite..

Well what do you guys think? Would like some feedback..

Thanks,

Larry.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Those are amazing. Its a great idea and will keep the drivers in place as long as those speakers will last. You should sell those as I would assume that may people would buy them; I'd buy a pair but you probably don't make them for Klipsch yet...
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Those are amazing. Its a great idea and will keep the drivers in place as long as those speakers will last. You should sell those as I would assume that may people would buy them; I'd buy a pair but you probably don't make them for Klipsch yet...

Thanks,

I think they would sell as well , a nice alternative to fixing a stipped hole with out having to turn the driver and drill new holes that might in do time do the samething, the only problem is relying on someone to give you the right dimensions to the speakers they own..:(
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I would think that you will be able to really "snug" those puppies up,,and provide peace of mind for us perpetual tweakers--and if they work well,, you gonna' offer em' here? Nice work though,,you keep setting the bar "up a notch" :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    Options
    They appear to be a great idea!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ok so we have the rings, brass spikes, and crossover plates, when is the online store opening? Put me down on your list of customers.

Great job.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited May 2010
    Options

NICE WORK & A GREAT IDEA
    I would love some of those too. but how are you affixing the stand offs to the ring
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    gim54pod wrote: »
    NICE WORK & A GREAT IDEA
    I would love some of those too. but how are you affixing the stand offs to the ring

It's hardware we use at the shop for a company we do work for, and they get pressed in by a Hager hardware machine. they won't come out.
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Those are a great ideas :D
    Can't get much better than that...

I too would be interested is a pair or two.
    I am assuming they would fit all vinage MW65xx drivers?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You're an effing genius. When I did resealed my MW I had those screw mounts push through the back side of the baffle and had a hell of a time getting the screws to grab a couple of threads and pull them back into place. I also have stripped out holes where my PRs go so I used a thicker screw. Both of these problems have made me swear off taking out the drivers and the PRs ever again but now there is hope.

I wish I had access and the know how to use your equipment.
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Brilliant!! You should compile a list off all the driver measurements for vintage Polks, as this would be primarily beneficial to those of us with speakers >10yrs old. Good thinking Larry.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well these should fit all the MW's.

And thanks guys, I will install these in the morning.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Just finished installing these rings. You have to take your time drilling the holes, and with the template they drop right in nice and snug. I think these will work better with the use of the mortite.

Well back to work I go.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Just finished installing these rings. You have to take your time drilling the holes, and with the template they drop right in nice and snug. I think these will work better with the use of the mortite.

Well back to work I go.

Great stuff Larry!
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I had to take a couple of pics of how nice this came out from the inside view.

Rings003.jpg

Rings005.jpg

Rings004.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Over and out!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Man, I wish I lived close to you.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Man, I wish I lived close to you.
    Why, doesn't he already have a wife? :D:p

Looks good Larry. Just curious, the cross bracing, did you add any of that. Oh, and it couldn't hurt to add Sonic Barrier to the top and bottom.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »

Looks good Larry. Just curious, the cross bracing, did you add any of that. Oh, and it couldn't hurt to add Sonic Barrier to the top and bottom.

Thanks Mike,

I am adding 3 cross braces from side to side. I have the BlackHole cut for the top and bottom but I need to finish my wood caps first then I will trim around the nuts before install..
  • audiobilly
    audiobilly Posts: 351
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Do the tweets get the same mount luv'n?
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited May 2010
    Options
    All I can say is (to steal a movie quote) "It look's like something the lord made"
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    audiobilly wrote: »
    Do the tweets get the same mount luv'n?

It crossed my mind, that as well as the crossover plate but there have been no problems with the nut inserts so I left them as is, also where the tweeters are there is a lot of cross bracing around them to make a ring.. if there is ever a problem I will do something...
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »

I'd switch teams to become his starting shortstop!:eek::D:p
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'd switch teams to become his starting shortstop!:eek::D:p

:eek::eek::eek::eek::D
  • audiobilly
    audiobilly Posts: 351
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TFLF Banned????
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2010
    Options
    apparently.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wonder what happened?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,162
    edited May 2010
    Options
    He has done so much to help others since he came here... hope it's not a permanent thing. I too would like to know what took place.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wow. I see most of TFLF's posts and don't think he's crossed anything up elsewhere. It must be for this thread which I feel contains an amazing idea that will benefit the group.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Who knows, there's a dozen moderators now so you just never know who bites you now....but that's what you folks wanted, lol. I've spoken with him offline, he'll be back and he's fine.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
This discussion has been closed.