upgrade Rti70 to Rti150

Options
malikarshad
malikarshad Posts: 527
edited June 2003 in Speakers
I have my Rti70 for about a month and happy no complains. I stopped by CC last evening as saw Rti150 for sale about $800 a pair open box. I have paid $600 for Rti70.
I have seen other forums about Rti70 vs Rti150 but the primary reason people suggest Rti70 was the cost difference.
Do you think a $200 is worth a upgrade to Rti150?
Thanks,
Arshad
Front- Rti 70's
Center - Csi40
Surround - Fxi50
Surround back - Rt600i
Receiver - Denon Avr-3803
Sub - SVS 20-39 PCi

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
Post edited by malikarshad on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    First off i would like to see CC selling these for 800.00 open box or not, That's a steal and doesn't take much to realize thats a killer deal, they were selling these for 1499.00 a month ago, Don't let the large size and impressive woofers change your mind as these beed twice if not more the power to really hear them shine, No 100 watt receiver will push these far as they were meant to go.. and if you already have a good sub then the 3 woofers in the 150's is kinda a waste as they don't dig deep enough to be considered used without a good sub.. I would say stick with the 70's unless you have alot of power 250 -500 watts and don't already have a powered subwoofer.. I once wanted these speakers and listened and thought they sounded good, but the 1500.00 price tag changed my mind first then the above statments from fellow polksters did the rest of the decision making for me, Good luck

by the way, what CC were they for 800.00, i have no interest just curious
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • malikarshad
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The deal is like this. The Rti150 are about $1060 and a friend of mine can get me a 20% discount so the final price would be around $800. BTW its in Minneapolis, MN.
    Yeah you are right about the power. I have a denon AVR-3803 with 110 watts/channel.
    So my guess is i don't have enough power to drive the 150's.
    But when I listened to the demo at CC there were running of HK AVR-525 and the Rti150 sound much richer and deeper than the Rti70. That make me give a second thought.

Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I would buy them, just for the reason of that price. Decide what to do with them later.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • malikarshad
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Hey Doc I require your expert opinion in this matter. This deal is a very short lived deal.
    I would appreciate if you can enlighted me with your opinion.
    Thanx,
    Arshad

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well I'm not Doc, but I've probably spent more time than anyone here A/B ing the two speakers. (worked in CC soundroom)

You have an SVS sub- that will cremate the bass put out by the 150's. No doubt about that. Also, I prefer the 70's REGARDLESS of price. they have a more expanded midrange- they are more open sounding - they just sound better to me. Sure the 150's can go 10 hz deeper (big deal), but they sacrifice midrange. Stay with the 70's my friend, that's my strong opinion. I don't hesitate to say that.
  • malikarshad
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks GuitarheadCA for your input
    You really cleared up my mind. I'm staying with Rti70. That's what I felt initially when I bought the Rti70.
    Arshad

• faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I basically repeated what the DOC said once before, If you have a good sub their is no need for the 3 woofs, the 70's has 2 nice mid drivers and a tweeter, what's missing? Bass.. ala good subwoofer... I think your set.. I would spend the money else where
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    malikarshad,
    Yeah the 70's are great speakers- I own them as well- and I can get ANYTHING CC sells DIRT cheap from employee discount. I also have your CSi40, but for my rears I have RTi38's instead of FXis. My point is - You've got a great system, the trick now is to stay content and not upgrade everytime something new comes along (which is tough for all of us). :-)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Nothing to really add here - great advice from these guys.

Stick with the 70's, run all your speaks on small, crossover to the SVS at 80 Hz using the 3803, and enjoy the excellent mids and highs of the 70's. Make sure the Disable switch is set on the SVS for the low pass filter.

The 150's need a ton of power for the woofers and are a complete waste run on small. They really have no place in a HT rig if you already have a great sub. They are more of a 2 channel full range speaker IMO.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Ummm ok,
    No 100 watt receiver will push these far as they were meant to go..
    I don't agree with this....The avr3803 which isn't the most powerful 100 watt receiver on the block will power them with ease.
    I can name alot of avr's which will power them to the extreme......even one with only 75 watts of power......I feel someones getting all hung up on watts......it's amps or current that drives the speaker.not the misguided watts figure.

malikarshad,
    I may not be Doc but I can give advice.I ask you to ask yourself which pair of speakers you like better.......thats the pair you should have.

Rt series speakers and i mean the entire line are easy to drive.Most avr's on the market can drive them fine....sound quality is a different story.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Ummm ok,

I don't agree with this....The avr3803 which isn't the most powerful 100 watt receiver on the block will power them with ease.
    I can name alot of avr's which will power them to the extreme......even one with only 75 watts of power......I feel someones getting all hung up on watts......it's amps or current that drives the speaker.not the misguided watts figure.

malikarshad,
    I may not be Doc but I can give advice.I ask you to ask yourself which pair of speakers you like better.......thats the pair you should have.

Rt series speakers and i mean the entire line are easy to drive.Most avr's on the market can drive them fine....sound quality is a different story.

I never said it couldn't drive them!!! But lets see, 3 woofers, 1 mid and a tweet.. I demo'd these before and the measley HK receiver they had would not push them, I had to crank the bass knob up and the volume to get them to have any bass or loudness, Enough said!! More then 100 watts is needed to make them truely sing.. 100 will work indeed.. but to full potential?? NO i don't believe so

But if he wanted to get the speakers on his own likes alone then he wouldn't have come here to ask our thoughts..

I wanted my RTi38's, knew it, they sounded good, I didn't need to ask anyone first so i bought them.. On the other hand when i'm not sure about something besides i like the way it looks. I ask these guys.....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    First of all, you can NEVER have too much power.

The 150's scream seperates, imo, but the 70's would surely benefit also. Win-win, no *real* issues with your receiver, it WILL drive the 150's if need be.

If your 70's are a month old, I'd hold out, take a look at the NEW RTi series due late August, and then decide. If you stay alert, I'm willing to bet there will still be some 150's available at a local CC, you'll just have to move quick.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.