Raise The Sub?

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
I live in an upper condo type apartment and while I was at work today I decided to go out in the shop and cut 4 - 1 1\2" X 2 1\2 hollowed square tube to stick under my sub between the sub bottom and the carpet. I thought it would allow for more powerfull bass in the room and lessen the blow on the lady downstairs :p

I hope I don't sound like I'm off my rocker here, and I haven't set it up like this yet. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this? Is it a bad thing? Or a good thing? Let me know what you think.
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Works well if it is a down firing subwoofer. That is why a down-firing subwoofer is raised off the floor anyways, however I could see the bass volume amazingly......drop if you raise it off the ground. The way the subwoofer sits on the floor, I would think would differ the sound quality. It could possibly be louder, yet boomier. I dont know, try it - don't like it, take it down. However, I do not see any advantages to it.

Calling Doctor S!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    moe.jpg

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!?
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    moe.jpg

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!?

To solve all your problems.......DUDE........YOUR GETTING A DELL!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Let me know what you think.
    I think somebody was bored and decided to go fishing... :rolleyes:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    And boy did he get a bite, that was entertaining.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    So is anyone else going to comment on the actual question?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what a 'hollowed rectangular tube' would look like.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Russ, look in the mirror when you take a crap......
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    you mean hollowed metal tube? wood, plastic?? square metal tubing?? I don't follow either,

you have the psw450, so you mean build a platform for it to sut upon, what benny would you get from this unless you had concrete in the form/platform..

Also does the idea i have heard of getting a concrete slab for under the sub really help, or only for a down firing sub.. also the 450 fire forward so again what would lifting it up help any??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I'm still trying to figure out what a 'hollowed rectangular tube' would look like.

Gold, Gold i tell ya!!!!!!!!! :D:D is that like a rounded square??

edit: It's friday and the 13th no less.. wheres all the funny **** forum jokes ??????Russman
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Heh, Seriously...

It's square so it has 4 sides...you follow?

....ok...

....It's about 1\4 thick on all 4 sides and the middle of it is hollowed. Please don't make me post a picture of it.

I was more looking to see if it would cut down on beating the hell out of the floor and pissing off the neighbor. Not for sound quality purposes.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    It might help cut down a little, depending on how heavy it is, and what it's made of.

The best thing I think of is to isolate the sub from the floor, which can be accomplished by placing it on a heavy peice of slate (from your local garden center).

Cheers,
    Russ (aka dickhead) ;)
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    You're

:rolleyes: ....................:rolleyes: DUDE.................*YOU'RE* YOUR GETTING A EFFIN FRIGGIN YOU'RE EFFIN DELL DANGIT! YOUR GETTING ONE!
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2003
    Options
    "Or you could just take a semi-inflated 12" inner tube and put it under yer sub. Makes my sub more isolated than a russian gulag... Tightens up bass and keeps glasses from falling off my mini bar" -cletusmcgee

Too funny...but I bet it works well.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend