New to board -- ?? on Tweeter Pods

Options
sc2_ct
sc2_ct Posts: 9
edited March 2004 in Custom Fabrication
Hi All, I'm new to this forum but from what I can see, there are a lot of you out there that really know your stuff.

Anyway, I'm working on some pods that I'll be glassing for my a-pillars with each pod holding two tweeters from my EX2560 component sets (Running two sets in front with a set of mids in the back). Anyway, my question is this: after I have finished glassing the pods, does anyone know of a place that I could send them to in order to have done in carbon fiber? I barely have time to get all the current projects that I am working on done -- what with work, shows, projects and a two week vacation getting in the way of it all --, and I just don't have time to learn how to lay up carbon fiber at this point (I'll probably try my hand at that this winter when the demand on my time is less). Anyway, any information you guys have would be most appreciated.
Post edited by sc2_ct on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Why are you going to build them from fiberglas and then get them re-made from carbon fiber? If you want that look, just get a sheet of carbon fiber look stickers like they make for dashboards and cover the fiberglas in the stickers. Then you get the look for 1/10th the cost. Carbon fiber is exspensive. It'll probably cost you 500 bucks to get the pods made from solid carbon fiber. Not worth it when you can pickup the stuff you need to do the pods out of fiberglas from any autoparts or marine supply store for less than 50 bucks.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sc2_ct
    sc2_ct Posts: 9
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The reason that I'm doing them out of fiberglass is that that is what I know how to do at this point, and I don't really have much time to learn carbon fiber at this point, though that is a plan in the future. The reason that I am looking for them to be made out of carbon fiber is because I have seen the carbon fiber "look" vinyl, have used it, and am dissatisfied with the appearance. I am not going to be doing a lot of CF on my car, but the accents that I do have in CF I would like to have real and actually look good. Why put 100's of hours into a car just to take the cheap way out on the finishing touches, when for a little more you can get what you really want and have it completely unique? I figure that after shelling out $7000 for the car, and another $7000 into performance, appearance and stereo a couple hundred to have exactly what you want isn't too much of a killer :)

I was figuring that the cost would be around the $300 mark since it is much less than 1 sq ft. of material and a simple shape. If it does end up being $500 then I guess I'll probably bite the bullet, set aside some time, pick up some layed up carbon fiber and some resin and have at it :)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Best option is to open the phone book and find a local shop that will do it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    Options
    this prolly isn't waht you're after, but if you're good with glass why not build a whole a pillar out of glass withthe pod already in there and paint it whatever u want and call it a day?

but if u'r ereally stuck on CF then i guess like u said u'll have to learn it yourself or shell out $$$$$.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    Options
    carbon fiber is fiberglass with carbon resin applied as a sheet of cf and a clear finish just like paper machet i guess but diffrent u dont want a cf pod because its expesive i know nothing about making speaker kick panels but i do know that u would just sand the fiberglass down in a ventalated area i hope so that its slightly ruff then applying the cf fabric and applying the clear resin
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing