Its possible to Equalize Digital Audio? (Toslink / HDMI)

javygonx
javygonx Posts: 70
edited December 2008 in Electronics
Hi:

I always like to tune and equalize when I hear music by using a graphic equalizer. Right now I have a Graphic EQ from Technics 7 bands for each side. Its not big deal, but when using 2 ch stereo RCAs makes a great difference
compared with Analog Sound without EQ.

When I set the receiver to get audio from optical, its impossible to use the EQ. Optical sounds more clear, but for music I think doesnt sound as I really like compared to RCAs Equalized. Any when using RockBand2, I preffer analog equalized sounds than optical.

I know because its optic, the sounds came "pure". But its there any way to Equalize this? Or any Optic Graphic EQ?
Panasonic 65" Plasma
Pioneer SC81
PS4 BluRay / Memorex BD-Player
Polk RTiA7 Fronts
Polk CS2 Center
Polk RTi4 Surrounds
Eomtiva XRef12
Monster Power HtS 1600 Power Line Filter/Conditioner
Post edited by javygonx on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2008
    Most like a pure audio mode / flat for 2 channel music. But why not tape jacks in and out for EQ?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BJRSENO
    BJRSENO Posts: 8
    edited December 2008
    I had a similar post this evening. How can I hook up my 7 band equilzer to my new onkyo 706. It's sounds great with music and makes my speakers come alive
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2008
    Back, when equalizer is a pretty popular part of a 2CH system, most integrated amplifiers and receivers have low level pre-out/main-in jumper, to allow insertion of equalizers into the chain, amongst other uses, but I haven't seen that option anymore in most current line-up of integrated and receivers. I think the only option now is to put your equalizer in the analog path of your tape/cassette deck. Or, buy an older integrated or receivers pre 1995, that has those pre-out/main-in feature OR get a preamp/power amp (i.e. separates) and put your equalizer in between pre and power path.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2008
    BJRSENO wrote: »
    I had a similar post this evening. How can I hook up my 7 band equilzer to my new onkyo 706. It's sounds great with music and makes my speakers come alive

I add lot's of POWER Music comes alive ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BJRSENO
    edited December 2008
    could you briefly explain connecting in the analog path of the tape inputs.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2008
    ok. From your tape's RCA output, connect a pair of RCA's interconnect cable to your equalizer's main input (or tape monitor input, if you don't have main), and another pair of RCA interconnect from your equalizer's output, to your Onkyo's tape input.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • javygonx
    edited December 2008
    BJRSENO wrote: »
    could you briefly explain connecting in the analog path of the tape inputs.

Hi BJRSENO.

I have an Onkyo 706 too. Arrived today. Im going to pick it up tomorrow. Was hard for me deciding in 706 or Denon 1909!... How you really like it?

And about the Equalize Digital Audio, seems its impossible! :(
    But anyway's I order 3' Premium RCA Cables, way better than regular RCAs, to hook my
    Technics EQ until I'll get a better cheap Graphic EQ. Any recommendations?
    Panasonic 65" Plasma
    Pioneer SC81
    Polk RTiA7 Fronts
    Polk CS2 Center
    Polk RTi4 Surrounds
    Eomtiva XRef12
  • BJRSENO
    edited December 2008
    javygonx wrote: »
    Hi BJRSENO.

I have an Onkyo 706 too. Arrived today. Im going to pick it up tomorrow. Was hard for me deciding in 706 or Denon 1909!... How you really like it?

And about the Equalize Digital Audio, seems its impossible! :(
    But anyway's I order 3' Premium RCA Cables, way better than regular RCAs, to hook my
    Technics EQ until I'll get a better cheap Graphic EQ. Any recommendations?

I am still not sure about connecting the eq. Crutchfield support said with out a tape monitor feature it is impossible to get the eq working. I have not completed connecting the receiver yet
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,708
    edited December 2008
    You guys do realise that the 706 has an EQ built in right? Audyssey room correction too. No need for a seperate EQ to be hooked up.
  • javygonx
    edited December 2008
    Keiko wrote: »
    Not many options on EQ's nowadays unless you buy used. AudioSource makes the EQ200 model which can be bought new. I have one on my bedroom rig. Inexpensive and it works pretty well. Here's a link.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-627

Yes, William, I know 706 has EQ and Audyssey, but only 5 band EQ. Not enough for tweaking while Denon at least has 9 eq bands. We have to give it a try to the 5 band eq from Onkyo to see how it performs.

Thanks to all
    Panasonic 65" Plasma
    Pioneer SC81
    Polk RTiA7 Fronts
    Polk CS2 Center
    Polk RTi4 Surrounds
    Eomtiva XRef12
  • javygonx
    edited December 2008
    Keiko wrote: »
    jvygonx...I quess it's possible to use an EQ on a multi-channel AVR, but is it necessary? I can understand on a 2 channel system bending freq's. But I'm not quite sure what you want to accomplish here. :confused:
    You're only going to be able to equalize 2 channels with this EQ. Unless you plan on buying 4 of em. :eek: :D

I got my Onkyo 706, and the Onkyo Site says it has 5 band EQ. But it comes with 7 Band Graphic EQ. Im still struggling with EQ, because I did the setups, but I can't hear de difference when I EQ, and when Its OFF.

Am I doing anything wrong?
    Panasonic 65" Plasma
    Pioneer SC81
    Polk RTiA7 Fronts
    Polk CS2 Center
    Polk RTi4 Surrounds
    Eomtiva XRef12