rt2000p Vs SDA 2.3

Options
i4gotmyid
i4gotmyid Posts: 173
edited June 2003 in Speakers
Are these even in the same league or not? I was just wondering cause I have the option to get the rt2000p's but I just got my sda 2.3's.
Post edited by i4gotmyid on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited May 2003
    Options
    One was designed for musical playback, the other was designed for home theater playback.

Both speakers are great ones.You have to listen to both and deside that for yourself.

The rt2000p's are heavy hitters with alot of force and power.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I think if you were to poll the membership here, I think you would find that most would take the SDA's.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Congrats, you made the right choice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• i4gotmyid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    a friend is moving and was unsure if he was taking them with him. he offered them to me but the siginificant other said only one pair of ugly speakers at a time so i have to make a choice. in what ways does the 2000 beat out the sda's? i am going to try and listen to them tonight or tommorow, what should i listen for?
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    While I respect ATC's comments about the 2000p's crushing the 2B's in some areas, the 2.3(TL?)'s crush the 2B's in all areas. What are you going to use them for, HT or 2 channel? What do you have for power? Do you have the interconnect cable for the SDA's? Keep in mind that the SDA's really need high current power to sing. For me, I've not heard another speaker that will put a :D on my face like the SDA's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• i4gotmyid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    i have audioquest bi-wire cables, a yamaha 596 receiver, and use for both music and home theater. i have the interconnect cable and use my speakers for 70% movies and 30% audio, but i enjoy my time listening to music far greater than watching a movie. I dont think the receiver is a high current one but it works ok, only if the volume is pushed kinda high.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    i4,
    Going to chime in here on the 2.3's side as well. Add a real sub later on (you can hide it) and you've got all the wham you want for HT and a very musical experience to boot.

BTW, having to crank up the Yammie for the 2.3's is a bit worrisome. Does it have pre-outs for the mains?

Just my $0.02 worth... what did you hear in the 2000's?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ATC,

Come up anytime and as I mentioned before, the cat is outside all summer long.

i4,

I agree with Tour, you've got to do something with the power situation.

President of Club Polk

• i4gotmyid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    do you have any suggestions for a new reciever or integrated amp? for my current situation it would be difficult to have an amp and preamp so i would need a one unit solution.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Depends, of course, on your budget...

B&K and Rotel are two top contenders 'round here, but a fair amount of Denon and Onkyo owners, too.

Plenty of threads in electronics to help you here...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I know you said one unit but check these out....good stuff and dirt cheap. I've done business with Ken before and he is a stellar guy...

http://members.aol.com/KDresch/m-5140.html
    http://members.aol.com/KDresch/p-3160.html

amp and preamp under 200 bones. That's tough to beat....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I know Troy wouldn't steer you wrong, but I'd still try to find something with at least 200w/ch. The Carver M1.0t's are among the most well rounded 200w/ch amps out there.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • i4gotmyid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    would a 200watt amp running each speaker using the jumpers be the same as two 100 watt amps bi-amped or would one have benefits over the other? Also if i get two amps, how would i hook them up to my reciever which does have pre-outs? Do i use a Y-cable to split the signal to each channel of the amps?
  • i4gotmyid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    would a 200watt amp running each speaker using the jumpers be the same as two 100 watt amps bi-amped or would one have benefits over the other? Also if i get two amps, how would i hook them up to my reciever which does have pre-outs? Do i use a Y-cable to split the signal to each channel of the amps?
  • i4gotmyid
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'll be keeping my 2.3's. hands down, no comparison. the 2000ps are nice for having bass, but cant compete in terms of audio accuracy and that tingling sensation you get from that SDA. I mean dont get me wrong, the 2000p's are nice for HT, and I bet its a tear during action flicks, but audio reproduction seems kinda boomy on the lower end and just felt kinda weak the upper mids. just my thoughts...one more thought, SRS SDA 2.3 and probably any other SDA rocks. I never thought the SDA would make that much of a difference in sound staging...but man...
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by i4gotmyid
    and that tingling sensation you get from that SDA.

Hehe, told you so..........grinning-smiley-023.gif

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by i4gotmyid
    I think you are asking about bridging vs. bi-amping. There are members in both camps and if you purchase two M1.0t's, or other, you will be able to judge for yourself.

Only other thing I'd add is that the bridging option does not preclude bi-wiring. In any case, at a minimum ditch the stock jumpers and substitute heavy gauge wire jumpers.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited May 2003
    Options
    If you bridge two amps, you will need the AI-1 interface so that the SDA's will work without a common ground amp. Serious damage can occur to the amps and/or the SDA's :eek: without using the AI-1.

Unfortunately, you cannot purchase these from Polk anymore. You have to build your own. There is great SDA-dedicated webpage on Yahoo groups that has plans for these. Do a search for "Mike's Polk Page 2."

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Good catch, I-Sig.

i4,
    If you want a copy of the alternate SDA IC, send me an e-mail. I have it in a pdf file I got from F1 who got it from Polk.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Good show Tour, I was just about to make him the same offer.

btw, did you get my email?

President of Club Polk

• kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Run a decent groundwire between one set of negatives on your non common ground amps and you'll be fine. It doesn't have to be $50 a foot wire but it's got to be more substantial than lamp cord. I've been running this way for over 10 years. You just have to make sure that the connection is made if you ever move equipment etc.
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    kelley,
    Is adding the jumper to the negative terminals sound, general advise for all amps? or applicable to only a segment of what is out there?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Good question. Before I go on, let me just say that I am not the stereo expert and any advice I put out should be researched. I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again just for the info. Back when I bought my 3.1's in the early 90's I already had a pair of the Denon 6600 mono amps. I brought the speakers home and hooked them up without really paying too much attention to the Polk manual. For those who have never heard the godawful noise that comes out of SDA's when you use a non-common ground amp let me just tell you that you may have a heart attack. No matter what the volume is set at it comes out sounding like a gunshot going off in the room. I have heard this twice. That first day I looked back thru the speaker manuals and found out about the common ground requirement. I then called a tech line at Denon and asked them about what I could do. They instructed me to hook up a wire from a negative on one of the amps to the other and they would technically be common ground. I immediately called Polk and was told that would work fine. This is over 10 years ago and I don't have a clue as to who I talked to but I have had no problems since except for one. Just about a month ago I was moving everything around and instead of using heavy gauge Monster Cable as my grounding wire I used some "lamp cord" sized wire. Pow! I replaced it with some Monster and it's all good again. You would think the resistance of the two different wires over such a short run wouldn't make a difference but it does. As a side note I haven't suffered any damage to the speakers or amps either time. I would think that it should work in principle for 2 amps from the same manufacturer but a quick call to the tech line would verify that. I do remember that first day thinking that I just blew up my speakers that cost a lot of money as far as my budget went!
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • i4gotmyid
    edited June 2003
    Options
    what about a professional audio amp? I saw some at my local music store and they put out 200-250 watts per channel for only $299. Seems like a good deal. I know that it might not be high current, I dont know the exact specs (voltage and current) but for that price it seems like a good deal. what do you think? is there a difference between a pro audio amp and a regular audio amp besides the connections? Is clean power in one the same as the other?