What about Tara?

stevew14
stevew14 Posts: 130
edited June 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Has anyone had any experience with Tara wires? I've heard lots of praise for some of their stuff as well. I recently replaced monster 950s with the Hero between source and pre, and have some straightwire encore 2 between the pre and the power amps. I am not sure which way to go, but I think I want out of the Straightwires.

The Taras I have considered would probably be more than the Heros and maybe having all the same (heros) would be best, I just don't know! Decisions decisions. How bout some opinions, what would you do kind of stuff. Just for grins

Thanks for any comments..
Post edited by stevew14 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    I bought a pair of Tara Labs a few years ago for my pre-/ power amp IC's. Very heavy wire, very tight RCA terminations. Thought I heard subtle improvements, but at the price I paid, ~$150 as I recall, was never sure I was being that objective.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited May 2003
    I have a buddy who has Tara's and they are fantastic among the best--i can only suggest that you find a Tara dealer and have a nice long conversation with him/her if they are a certified tara dealer , they won't lie to you.........
    That's how i found the acoustic zens--kinda by accident-i was in a extreme high end store in Los Angeles-and was shopping for cables-i saw these way different cables and asked about them and the dealer was great---
    especially when he saw the checkbook in my hand-ha,ha..i almost bought audio Quest-gibralters--but with the electrostatic speakers the acoustic zens just semed right for me--if they had the taras i just probably would have bought them--The Transparents could be a little better still but the AZ's just did it for thr Bryston/Prodigy set up- The dealer told me the absolute truth ..
    Yes do the tara's...
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2003
    Steve,
    I would go with another pair of Hero's.I would also rewire the system with Kimber all the way out.Synergy.............
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited May 2003
    Thanks for the replies all. I'm sure you guys know how it goes, things are sounding really good and you start wondering (again), how much better could it be if I just did this or that? It really is a sickness I think. Seriously though, my equipment purchases have got to stop. I really do get big grins from listening. I just thought that one more little thing like different cables from pre to pro might just be the icing on the cake. I do like the way the hero sounds compared to the monster.

Dan,

I am running Kimber already for my mains. Music is my primary focus. Movies are perfectly alright, though I don't have what most would probably consider optimal for surround and rear speakers, but my front stage is matched well. I use the 4PR that I have had for years. I am vertically bi-amping, so there is one run to the top and another to the bottom, and I think I'll let that be for now.

Now I just have to rationalize the expense for the heros.........just one more time......
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2003
    stevew14,
    do it,it's worth it.

4pr is good wire.It's Kimbers first speaker wire.If you ever decide to upgrade,then VS or TC is more advanced.I personally like the 4pr
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.