Researching capacitors.

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Just to add yet another option to the mix; I used Jantzen Z-Superior bypassed with Obbligato copper-cased caps on my RTA 15TLs and enjoyed the results immensely.

You should try it without the bypass caps as they really are not needed once one has upgraded from electrolytics. I found the bypass caps added an un-natural flavor which became very annoying, very quickly.

That said, I love the sound of the Obbligato's as a direct replacement, non-bypass capacity, but wish they had a better value selection.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I agree with Jesse. He suggested that I drop the bypass when I did my first pair of speakers and the sound was well rewarded.
  • Pepi28
    Pepi28 Posts: 248
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I just received my Dayton caps. These things are huge. Still waiting on my Clarity caps to get here and the resistors. A couple more days and I will have everything.
    58" Samsung Plasma (on wall)(calibrated)
    LSi15's front (modded xo's)
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sunfire Sig. 600 amp for 15's
    Sunfire Sig. Cinema for C,S&R
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    SVS 2039 PC Plus sub 12.3 (16hz tune)
    PS3
    Wii
    Signal and Audioquest ic's
    12 awg monster speaker-cable (bi-wired)
    Belkin PF60 power conditioner
    Monster power conditioner for sub
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Pepi28 wrote: »
    I just received my Dayton caps. These things are huge. Still waiting on my Clarity caps to get here and the resistors. A couple more days and I will have everything.

Huge compared to stock, but not so big compared to other;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jimiles
    jimiles Posts: 46
    edited November 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You should try it without the bypass caps as they really are not needed once one has upgraded from electrolytics. I found the bypass caps added an un-natural flavor which became very annoying, very quickly.

Excellent idea. Going into the project, bypassing was not on my agenda. After reasearching the options, I realized that almost none of the brands in which I was interested were available in the 12uF value.

I used a 10uF Jantzen and a 2.2uF Obbligato to get to 12uF. The Northcreek guide I read years ago suggested an 80/20 ratio being a good ratio if mixing capacitors, so went with it.

Since none of the Mundorf (or the upcoming Jantzen Silver/Gold) caps are readily available in 12uF, my "way better-than-what-I've-got-now" options that don't involve adding values together might be restricted to Duelund and Clarity MR. Only in light Duelund does MR seem like the budget choice. :eek:

That said, I'm quite happy with my current crossovers. I've been addressing my room acoustics this autumn to great effect, and am saving my pennies for the upcoming PS Audio UltraLink D/A. :D It'll be several years before I can convince myself that the only thing separating me from audio nirvana is my crossovers :p
    Party On :cool:
    Jake

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and was widely regarded as having been a bad idea.
  • jimiles
    jimiles Posts: 46
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Acoustics are already taken care of in that room(first reflection, bass corner traps, curtains, etc...), the room my SDA's are in needs help though, that's next.

I'd love to hear a pair of SDA's sometime. I've only ever seen a pair once, and they were not setup to play. For that matter, I'd love to hear some of the other crossove rebuilds that people have done. Perhaps I can get out to the next get-together or make the pilgrimage out to Polkfest next year.
    Party On :cool:
    Jake

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and was widely regarded as having been a bad idea.