Researching capacitors.

Options
Pepi28
Pepi28 Posts: 248
edited November 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Does anyone have an opinion on ClarityCaps. I am still trying to figure out what to get that is going to make my LSi's sound the best they can. I'm leaning towards Sonicap and Solen or Sonicap and Dayton but I just came across Clarity Caps and just wanted some of your opinions if anyone has used or heard of them before.
Thanks for any help you can give
PEPI
58" Samsung Plasma (on wall)(calibrated)
LSi15's front (modded xo's)
LSic center
LSiFX's sides
LSi7's rears
Sunfire Sig. 600 amp for 15's
Sunfire Sig. Cinema for C,S&R
Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
SVS 2039 PC Plus sub 12.3 (16hz tune)
PS3
Wii
Signal and Audioquest ic's
12 awg monster speaker-cable (bi-wired)
Belkin PF60 power conditioner
Monster power conditioner for sub
Post edited by Pepi28 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Which Claritycaps are you interested in?

I'm a huge fan of the MR's, but due to physical size and cost, I'm not sure if they'd be the best decision for LSi's.

Here is a pic of Daytons and Sonic Caps compared to OEM parts from a LSi9.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2008
    Options
    The little Soni is a 1uf?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Yeppers.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Which Claritycaps are you interested in?

I'm leaning towards the SA's, everything above that gets very expensive. Especially since I haven't done anything like this in a very long time. The only thing is they dont have caps in the 130microfarad range and I'm not sure on mixing Solens in with them even though they have the rated caps I need.
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • Face
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I would use Dayton in place of Solen. Use a 90 and a 40, 100 and 30, two 50's and a 30, etc...you'll be fine.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-metallized-capacitors.cfm
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited November 2008
    Options
    A friend has recently used Clarity Caps in rebuilding a 2nd pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's; he likes them better than the Solens in the signal path. They have a good rep and I'm buying some to replace the Solens on the high pass circuit of my Monitor 5B's.

I say go for it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I will never use Solen's in the High pass again.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I am really pulling my hair out as to what I should do now. Is it a bad idea to mix 3 different makers of capacitors or is 2 enough? I was thinking on going with Clarity Caps for the tweeter and upper mid, Sonicap for the lower mid, and Dayton for the woofer and upper mid 130 uf caps. Does this sound ok or will there be a problem with it? I'm trying to keep the costs around $300-$400 so my wife dont kill me. I was even thinking Solens for the 130 uf caps but most of you fine people seem to dislike them.
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I would not use Solen's in the LSI15's. That cap is inline with the circuit that feeds the mid woofer.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2008
    Options
    1) Not everyone dislikes the Solens.
    2) Spend the money now and don't look back.
    3) Don't let her find out how much you have spent.
    4) I have been through this before and will again.
  • Face
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Use the highest quality caps on the tweeter, i.e. Sonic Cap on the tweeter, Dayton on the mids, etc...

The only place I would consider Solen is for the bottom woofer.
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    NJPOLKER wrote: »

I think that there has been a change. When I first came on in 06 they were "the best value cap", but I think since then quality must have dropped. I do not like the Solen's. Well I would use them as a shunt cap if I needed a value(uf) that they only had in the price range.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    would a 40uf cap be too much to replace a 38uf cap that the schematic calls for?
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I would being a shunt cap, but others may disagree. Most of those old caps are 20%. Where are you ordering from? What speakers are you doing?
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I'm modding my LSi15's. I was about to place an order for clarity caps, daytons and sonicap. I'm ordering the clarity's from e-speakers.com, the daytons from parts-express, and the sonicaps from sonicraft
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Pepi28 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on ClarityCaps.

I like them. I have three pairs of SDA CRS+'s (1989 model). One pair was recapped from stock with Solens, then the Solens were replaced with AudioCaps. The second pair went from stock to ICW Clarity Caps SA Series. The third pair went from stock to AudioCaps to SoniCaps. In order of detail retrieval and tonal balance they are:

1. Sonicaps.
    2. AudioCaps.
    3. Clarity Cap SA Series.

Solens would be 4th in the list above.

However, if I would rate their detail retrieval and presentation (in the CRS+'s) on a scale of 1-10, where 10 was indistinguishable from a real live instrument playing, their ratings would be:

1. Sonicaps: 6.5.
    2. AudioCaps: 6.
    3. Clarity Cap SA Series: 5.75.

Solens would be a 5. in the list above.

On a lot of music, the three CRS+'s are indistinguishable from each other.

I recently replaced the AudioCaps in my SRS 1.2TL's with Sonicaps. The owner of Sonicraft Inc., which makes Sonicaps, tried to discourage me from doing the replacement because he said the modest difference might not be discernible and he certainly didn't think it was worth the money. He recommended just bypassing some of the high frequency AudioCaps with Gen II Sonicaps. I politely declined that advice and ordered the Gen I Sonicaps to replace the AudioCaps. I was very pleased with the results, as were others who had did similar replacements of AudioCaps with Sonicaps.

At this level, you are well into the "season to taste" zone and you really won't know what works best for you until you do your own "taste test". This is time consuming and expensive, but you won't know what flavor of ice cream you like best until you try a few (or a lot of) flavors.:) You could also try to extrapolate from the experiences of others who have similar equipment and listening preferences, but again, they are the ones tasting the ice cream and not you.
    NJPOLKER wrote: »

True. Solens are used in the crossovers of some very highly regarded speakers retailing in the tens of thousands of dollars (e.g. Dunlavy, Duntech, Dynaudio). I think they are a good "all around" cap, but there are better out there...for a price. The rationale for these companies stopping at the Solen level is that most people just flat out can't tell a difference between high quality film caps. Furthermore, they believe that the drivers, cabinet design, and crossover design have a much, much greater effect on the sound. I agree.

Often, the differences in high quality film caps is more like variations of the same flavor of ice cream from different vendors rather than the differences between different flavors.;)

In summary:

I like the Solens in my SDA SRS's.
    I like the Sonicaps in my SDA SRS 1.2TL's.
    I like the Clarity Caps in my #1 pair of SDA CRS+'s.
    I like the AudioCaps in my #2 pair of SDA CRS+'s.
    I like the Sonicaps in my #3 pair of SDA CRS+'s.
    I like the Sonicaps in the hf section of my LSi9's.
    I like the Solens in the lf section of my LSi9's.
    I like the Sonicaps in the hf section of my LSi15's
    I like the Solens in the lf section of my LSi15's.

They all make Such Good Sound...to me.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I guess my next question should be: Will either of the caps I mentioned make a noticeable difference in sound compared to the stock caps or should I forget doing it alltogether?
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Options
    All of the caps would make a real sound improvement. It's kinda like Ice Cream. Which brand, flavor do you prefer, and what are you having it with.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Yes, great difference in sound. I can't imagine after paying shipping from 3 places you couldn't spend almost as much just getting the same parts from 1 or 2 places.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Will either of the caps I mentioned make a noticeable difference in sound compared to the stock caps

Yes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Yes, great difference in sound. I can't imagine after paying shipping from 3 places you couldn't spend almost as much just getting the same parts from 1 or 2 places.

Luckily the shipping is free from both. I decided to just go with clarity caps and daytons.
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Well I ordered the caps and resistors to do the mod on my LSi15's. I should have everything done by next weekend. I'm really psyched and cant wait to hear the difference. I just want to thank everyone for their expert opinions and for giving me some good advice on what to get and not to get. I will let everyone know how it goes once I get it done.
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I would have gone that route but money is very tight all of a sudden for me right now. I think I will be plenty happy with the Clarity caps and Daytons for now. Maybe next year or the following I'll do it all over again with the Mundorf or the Duelund caps.
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • Pepi28
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Country Club. I saw your web page. Awesome work you did on your TL's. I cant believe how nice they came out.
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    PS3
    Wii
  • jimiles
    jimiles Posts: 46
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Just to add yet another option to the mix; I used Jantzen Z-Superior bypassed with Obbligato copper-cased caps on my RTA 15TLs and enjoyed the results immensely.

Tony Gee informed me that Jantzen graciously allowed him to test some pre-production samples of their upcoming Z-Silver/Gold cap. No word on pricing or availablity, yet.

I was uber excited about the ClarityCap MR range last year, and then I saw the US pricing at Madisound. That damped my excitement in a hurry!
    Party On :cool:
    Jake

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and was widely regarded as having been a bad idea.
  • Face
    edited November 2008
    Options
    jimiles wrote: »
    I was uber excited about the ClarityCap MR range last year, and then I saw the US pricing at Madisound. That damped my excitement in a hurry!
    I used the MR's in one of my pairs of Tannoys. They sound fantastic, very dynamic, lower floor noise, etc... I only used them in the high pass section though, because as you saw, the larger values get kind of pricey.
  • jimiles
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Your speaker has quite a few different components, all of which are equally valid upgrade targets. Instead of blowing your entire budget on crossover components, consider leaving some room in the budget to...

1) damp the cabinets
    2) upgrade the internal wiring
    3) replace the binding posts
    4) isolate the cabinets on vibrapods <--- STAGGERINGLY AWESOME UPGRADE

More importantly...call me an Acoustics **** if you want...but go fix your room acoustics first. It's at least 100x bigger improvement than upgrading the crossovers. When your RT60 time is off by nearly a second and you've got 10dB swings in room response, fretting over the differences between the little cappies is missing the forest for the trees!
    Jake

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and was widely regarded as having been a bad idea.
  • Face
    edited November 2008
    Options
    They're in custom cabs with plenty of bracing(shelves, dowels). All posts and wiring was replaced also. I went with spikes though, I'm not sure Vibrapods would like a 125+lbs speaker on top of them. :)

Acoustics are already taken care of in that room(first reflection, bass corner traps, curtains, etc...), the room my SDA's are in needs help though, that's next.
  • jimiles
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    They're in custom cabs with plenty of bracing(shelves, dowels). All posts and wiring was replaced also. I went with spikes though, I'm not sure Vibrapods would like a 125+lbs speaker on top of them. :)

Acoustics are already taken care of in that room(first reflection, bass corner traps, curtains, etc...), the room my SDA's are in needs help though, that's next.

Sweet action! Sounds like things are well under control :D

On the Vibrapod front; you'd need five of the largest model. The guys who popularized this mod were running Vonschwiekert VR4s, which are by no means lightweight. YMMV; if you are on a cement slab, it's probably a whole lot less critical than it was for me in my old farmhouse.
    Jake