The Backbone of Polkfest 2008

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,573
edited November 2008 in Gatherings & Special Events
All audio forums share the same objective but not all of them have the same backbone. If you attended Polkfest, awesome but if you didn't here's some history.

This wasn't Polk saying HEY! let's open up the doors for a bunch of forum freaks to run around our offices and make us look cool.....this was serious business.

There was a lot of work that took place and you folks will never feel the impact of that. How many companies open their doors because you belong to a user forum? This was, and always has been a member generated effort. You need to poke the giant every now and then but the reality of it all is the meeting of the actual members' and the setting.

Club Polk and its members' have created and generated the action for these events. Polk Audio happens to think that's pretty awesome and they have always pulled out all the stops to make it special. HQ tours DO NOT happen every year, this was a bonus. The last one was in 2005.

Polkfest, as a user gathering, has been happening since 2002 and you know what, it was a members' idea....nothing major, just an idea. Why not have a get together for people that dig Polk products. Russ Gates (Russman) started this whirlwind and I believe the first meet was all of 5 members? Russ, correct me me if I'm wrong. Phuz fits in here even earlier but I am a late member.

I called you freaks because I'm a Polk freak as well, and proud of it. You don't have to own every Polk speaker made to be a member of this forum. That's pretty obvious by the diverse selection of listeners/members we have available 24/7. We're here because we care about the many facets of not only the product but the end result of what we all love in the end....audio.

We LOVE our forum and I firmly believe it's one of the best on the internet for this type of conversation and support. Polkfest, since 2002, has set the bar for our community. You all, ALL, should feel good about that.

Some, or all of us have been to Texas, Carolina, Maryland, and Georgia based on member participation alone. This wasn't a paid exploration into the unknown....members volunteered their homes for these functions. I think it's about time for the West Coast to step up and host something....but the middle area, the area you hate to drive thru, wouldn't be too shabby either. If it's Ohio, count me out ;)

Our Polkie TroyD(SC PF 1&2) is running a hardship tour in Korea but has hosted two of these events, just like Russ(TX PF 1&2). You know what his objective is when he gets back? Alot of monkey, basket style sex but more importantly, to immediately host another Polkfest and I'll be there for sure.

That's family style structure folks, on the internet.....show me some of that elsewhere.

You want to know who has supported us since 2002, especially 2008....whether they liked it or not :D You have no idea how many ppl make this happen for you but here's a handful that you better bow down to next time you see them. In no particular order...just as I typed so blame me.

The Kluge - Live Music....In-House Polk musicians that came out AGAIN to jam for us. Awesome!

"The group that played was Steve Tourison and I (the group known as Still Thinking), plus Brad Saylor. So calling us The Kluge is appropriate. The Kluge has traditionally been a group of Polk employees gathered together for the purpose of playing music for a Polk event, usually lead by me. Not to be confused with Dean’s Blues All Stars, of course, which is a group of Polk employees gathered together for the purpose of playing music for a Polk event, usually lead by Dean. - Scott Orth"

Len Shufelt – Set-up of all demos and equipment support for the Ballard event.

Stu Lumsden - Engineering & CLASSIC Video of "Balmerese"

Shelia Edwards – Administration

Katie Badders – Administration

Jenny Suskind – Tour Guide

Greg O’Rourke – Tour Guide

Monica Robles – Tour Guide

Scott Olson – Tour Guide

Eric Wong – Tour Guide

Brian Knauss – Tour Guide

Matt Lazzaro - Tour Guide

Matt Lyons – Facilities Tour

Al Baron – Demo

Mark Suskind – Demo

Brain Ahmed – Demo

Matt Polk – Demo

Al Ballard – Demo

Thom Voisinet – Car Demo

Warlocks1(Jeff), A non-employee and resident Polkie has always squared away Polkies for car rentals since 2003 since he's a badass rep for a certain company :D Thanks for geting some of these weirdos here.

This is just a 2008 listing but Polk has pulled out all the stops for us historically. There are so many others that contribute behind the scenes as well.

Seriously, that's hardcore and that means alot to me personally.

For the Polkies....just some thoughts, and maybe you can thank who grabbed you by the hand and tour'd you. I swear Matt had a whip and a DEVO hat but that has not been confirmed.

Polk Audio, thanks SO much for the time and effort you spent for us lowly Polkies....it means SO much to us. Hey Polk....it isn't just an email for thanks....you folks are like Rock Stars to us, and yes that's weird but get used to it. And get used to us hiding in your bushes....or at least ME hiding in your bushes at night....playing Stratego sans pantalones.

Viva la Polk!....wait, I'm a redneck...so, uh, cool man, let's do a kegstand.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2008
    Here, here!

Allow me to offer my thanks to all of those behind the scenes that made this happen, including our very own, Doro.

Thank you one and all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Monica/Justin - Please post that Stu video on the Polk You Tube.....Hilarious :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2008
    Nice, and yes like to thank everyone who made this PF possible.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2008
    I emailed Al asking him to upload that to Youtube as well......that was funny as hell.....

And I agree.......I'm glad a lot of people showed up........but I hope that translates into the non-HQ fests as well.......don't get me wrong......seeing how things are done is cool and you get to see things not yet to market, but the *feel* of these things is more along the lines of a bunch of weirdos spending their cash on traveling all over the country to hang out with fellow freaks..........

It's not something that many people would understand........and it's not easily explained without sounding like a crazy person, but for those that have been to a few have met people they will interact with for years to come, both on the forum and outside it.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2008
    Someone is missing from the list of helpful people. Thanks Doro for the time you put into this event too.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2008
    I would also like to say thanks to everyone who made this possible. The factory tour was awesome and getting to meet everyone behind the scenes was a real bonus. Looking foward to going back to Troy's next year and seeing all you crazy freaks.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2008
    Well said, Mark, well said......I'm also going to put a plug in for Mark, for the two PF's that I've held, Mark has put a LOT of time and energy into both of them. Without Mark (and a host of others) PF wouldn't be the event that it is.

We are freaks, and I couldn't be more proud to be associated with you loonies.

See you all in Charleston next fall.....I've already got my new liver on pre-order.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited October 2008
    It was great to finally participate in one of these PF's and taking the tour was icing on the cake. A big huge THANK YOU to all those involved behind the scenes doing all the little things to make this 2 day freak-fest possible. Also a big thanks to Russ and Mark for being the catalyst and all their hard work up to and including Polk Fest 2008.

The hospitality, generosity and outright genuine enthusiasm from Polk Audio and its employees was absolutely outstanding. This Forum is one of the best on the internet.

H9

P.s. It was also great to finally meet many of the people face to face, talk, hang out, joke around and in general have a great time.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited October 2008
    Polk is an awesome company and the forum is second to none. Thanks to ALL who made this happen.

Because of the Polkfest, I am in the process of changing my cave back to a Polk setup. I came home that Friday and hooked my 1.2tl's back up and jammed for hours. I am going to sell all my Martin Logans and go back to the 1.2tl's and other vintage Polk setup.

Thanks Mark and Polk Audio!
    Jeff
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2008
    What a great bunch of people at Polk. How could somebody attend this fest and not want to do their share to substantially increase Polk's market share?
  • Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited October 2008
    A BIG THANKS goes out to ALL of the good folks (seen and unseen, Polk employee or Polk fan) that make these events a reality. Having attended only 2 Polk Fests in 05 and 08 I have always been impressed by the mutual level of passion and commitment displayed by Polk Audio personnel and Polk Forum members alike! I always leave Polk Fest re-energized and motivated to dig further into the hobby. I am looking forward to attending future Polk Fests and seeing more of the wonderful synergies that make Polk Fest a reality.
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited October 2008
    Agreed. I had a great time at HQ and Al's house. The hospitality was fantastic both days. I enjoyed meeting all the Polk employees and it was great to meet all the people from the forum and put a face to the screen name.

A great company and community for sure.

Special thanks to Mark and Russ and all the names on the list above for putting the whole weekend together.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2008
    I'd like to throw in my thanks to everyone at Polk Audio for their efforts to make Polkfest a wonderful event. Al Ballard opened his house to us for the Saturday party. I thanked him several times but that's probably not enough. All the staff was especially friendly, helpful and very considerate. What a fabulous group of people. Mark, Doro many thanks again for for your efforts in the planning, organizing and for putting up with our antics year round here on the Forum. Last, but not least, Matt Polk for creating the products that we all use and love so much. I was impressed on how much time Matt spend talking to the people and answering questions. He was very gracious in answering questions he was probably asked many times during PF and through the years.

Forum members, your the greatest! I was fortunate to meet and talk with so many of you at PF. See you next year!

Troy, I look forward to seeing you next year! Thanks for your service to our country!
    Carl

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2008
    Yes thanks to all who put things together for us crazy Polkies, it was a fabulous 2 day party that I & Mark will always remember!

And a big thanks to Russ & Doro for all their help to make it happen as well. I saw a good bit of what you did at Al's house that helped keep thinks flowing smoothly!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited October 2008
    After a week to reflect and let the events sink in a little bit,
    I would also like to offer my thanks to those who made this PolkFest
    such a success. And to think, I was "on the fence" about attending, not because
    of aprehension or uncertainty, but because of lifes' inevitable curveballs.

Friday was excellent, not just because we got to see how our speakers were crafted, but
    because it was refreshing to see the enthusiasm of almost every member of the Polk team,
    and the pride with which they demoed and talked about their products. It is not often that you will see a company as well-established as Polk open their doors to the masses, or a company president who remains as passionate about his work after all these years. It's no wonder they are respected and revered as an audio company.

It would be difficult to decide which day I thought was "better" in terms of
    cool factor, because each had their moments for me, but I'd have to give the edge to
    Saturdays gathering at Al & Hedys' house, for really getting the chance to talk to other people who before were only names on a screen. Seeing how most PolkFests are held at members houses, this is what it's really all about. I look forward to going to another one of these in the future, and I'd encourage all who were not able to go to this one to do the same.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2008
    Very well put Mark. I second the hear, hear!!!!
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited October 2008
    A BIG thank you also to everyone who has posted photos for those of us who weren't there!

Robbie
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2008
    These Polkfests have always amazed me.

Regular folks opening their homes to strangers. These strangers come from near and far to drink,eat, demo and discuss stereo equipment.

Polk Audio has supported these gatherings from the start, Micah sent a few T-shirts, stickers and such, but the biggie was Polk flew the head of engineering Stu Lumsden out to Texas to meet us and spend a few hours with us crazies.

As stated above, both the members here, and Polk Audio have made these pretty incredible events. I should know, I have made it to every one of them, and at each location, they find a way to set the bar higher and higher.

I know I am way over due to host one, but I have two problems:
    1. my wife is still alive (as in "over her dead body")
    2. the divorce after I said I was hosting one, would leave me in a one bedroom apartment

THANK YOU to all that have made these possible.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2008
    Though I could not attend, I was able to attend the `05 event, and have seen first hand the effort put forth to make it all come together.

I would like to thank Mark, Russ, Al, Matt, and all the others that keep the Audio Love together and alive for all of us to enjoy.....together.

I have made lifelong friends through this forum, and was able to meet many of them at Marks house when I went to MD to attend PF.

I was not able to make it this year, but maybe Texas is in the cards....who knows...

My thanks to all who support the Audio Nuts , and Polk Audio (all employees) for making my audio world turn.

Bear
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited October 2008
    This was my first big PF, and I cannot express enough, the gratitude I have for all at Polk Audio,Mark and Russ for keeping the fire going. Only a year and some change ago I found this forum. And just hangin' around and BS slingin', I've come to find new freaks, hacks and friends on the same audio quest.
    I tip my hat to all the great Polk folks at HQ, knuckleheads like Mark and Russ(man) and all the hacks who came by plane train and automobile, THANK YOU!

March in NC is coming soon..................;):D
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2008
    Cheers! Wish I had made it this year.

If anyone is up for a Texas meet, I'll gladly host.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2008
    Here, here!
    I second the hear, hear!!!!

AGH! If only I could edit........JUSTIN!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2008
    I did not think I would be able to make it this year due to business issues even though I really wanted to attend. I was unable to make the 05 HQ Polkfest because it fell on my daughter's 18th birthday and there are a few things that take priority over a PF. Circumstances changed and I was able to attend. It had a bit of a different feel than the 2 in SC and last year's in GA (a bit more refined thanks to Polk's involvement-but in a good way). I'm glad I went. Each and every Polk employee that participated to make this a wonderful event should be commended. I am even more of a Polk fan now. I want to purchase a product that the people who make it believe in...and that is very evident at Polk.

Thanks to everyone at Polk for a weekend I won't forget.

Thanks for the invite!

See ya'll next year in SC.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2008
    Once again, Many thanks to all involved in making polkfest 08.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2008
    As an attendee of '05 and 06' PF's, I really wish I could have made it, but life is suck.

Looks to have been a blast.

Thanks to Polk for giving the attendees a great time.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2008
    Be at CPF III next fall and life will not be suck.

I tell ya, man, I LIVE for Polkfest.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2008
    TroyD wrote: »
    Be at CPF III next fall and life will not be suck.

I tell ya, man, I LIVE for Polkfest.

BDT

I am pretty sure everyone understands what I think about the Fests and the great folks at Polk Audio who support them. They are certainly amazing events.

So I will be in SC for you brother Troy, I would though like to have my special pillow available.

RT1
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2008
    What a great thing for Polk Audio to host. I WILL make one of these meets. Sounds like a fantastic time. BTW, I am seriously considering some Lsi15's...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    A resident Polkie that has stepped up to the plate, many times over the years and hooked a bunch of us up in regards to car rentals for travel....Warlocks1, Jeff.

He has always offered his help.

You rule Jeff and I have goodies for you. Email me....
    mln@polkaudio.com
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2008
    I want to see Tedwick fight for the dog's pillow!

Warlocks Jeff was completely different from what I had pictured. He's a good man.