Gnx104

DaveSal
DaveSal Posts: 15
edited May 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I’ve got a single GNX104 in a .65 sealed enclosure, driven by an MTX282 (185w RMS 4ohms). Still in break-in period and, so far, it sounds pretty good. However, I can distinctly hear the bass coming from my trunk, where the sub is located. My low-pass xover (active) is 36db/oct, and have it set at around 90 Hz (high pass is at around 60 HZ). I’ve checked the enclosure for air leaks, and the seal seems fine. Am I just going to have to live w/ being able to localize the bass somewhat? Is this just typical of a single 10” sub?
Pioneer 880PRS
Polk C300.2
MB Quart PCE 216
Alpine MRP 350
Polk GNX 104
Post edited by DaveSal on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    .. its typical of a trunk install -- also -- the GNX10 is probably better in something more like 0.9 / 1 cubic foot. or at least stuff the living hell out of the box you've got.

u might want to also raise your high pass xover to around 80... too much overlap isn't usually a good thing.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • DaveSal
    DaveSal Posts: 15
    edited May 2003
    I was afraid that might be the case. Thanks for your reply, though.

Are there any other options for placement that will decrease localization & help to improve imaging? Interior space is a bit limited -- I've got a '96 Nissan Altima.
    Pioneer 880PRS
    Polk C300.2
    MB Quart PCE 216
    Alpine MRP 350
    Polk GNX 104
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    ... if you have rear deck speakers you can remove them and allow the bass to "flow" through the holes (put the grills back on to make it look decent) -- or cut a port hole in the center of your trunk... that may help.

however the "best" install for a trunk is usually the deck itself (soud quality wise at least) -- cutting a hole for a 10" sub in the rear deck and then dropping it down in with a sealed box bolted up from the inside of the trunk is what I would do if I had a) the cash b) the time c) the materials d) the ability to remove the back window to make it easier and then put it back on.

other than that --- Bigger subwoofer(s), larger amplifiers... eliminate localization with sheer brute force.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge