Opinions on a sub

mmadden28
mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
Any general comments on these subs? For HT and/or Music
Are any a waste of time? Which of the following better than the other?
If you had to choose one for HT and one for Music (or both)...

MartinLogan Depth
SVS PC-12 Plus (new cylinder)
Polk PSW1000
Velodyne Minivee 8"
Velodyne Microvee

Thanks

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
Post edited by mmadden28 on

Comments

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited October 2008
    I can tell you which one you shouldn't get (PSW 1000). Did not like it at all for the price.
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2008
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    I can tell you which one you shouldn't get (PSW 1000). Did not like it at all for the price.

Why not? What price?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited October 2008
    I perfer the Martin Logan Depth. It hits hard and clean. It's fast and very musical. It pulls souble duty extemely well.

Martin logan subs are difficult to beat at there price points. I perfer them over all others.

On a side note, I own a Dynaudio sub500 which is there top of the line sub. It retails for 2g's. It's a well made musical sub and does movies just as well. I would replace it with a Martin Logan sub any day of the week and anytime on the weekends and not miss it.

If I ever need to replace my sub, The Martin Logan Descent or even 2 or 3 Depths will be next. Hell I may even go with 2 Descents and call it a day.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2008
    SVS all day...................
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited October 2008
    On that list, it would be the Depth for a 2 channel setup and the SVS pulling any combo duty. The little Velos are not quite up to the SPL line and the Polk shouldn't be there. The new SVS, though ported, is voiced to sound more like a sealed sub. The couldn't do much to increase the output over the previous rev, so they concentrated on making space between the NSD line which had gotten much better.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2008
    What's your max budget?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2008
    What's your max budget?

Good question. Not really sure yet. No room for dual subs either at this time.
    I will eventually be setting up a ded HT in the basement, but for now everything remains in the FR and probably will for at least the next year. So I'm not really sure what I'll need then...
    Right now things are working OK with the 10" Klipsch sub I have now, I just have an itch...So the subs may not be for the HT. I'm also considering adding a sub to my 2 channel rig and perhaps for the computer. I don't really know yet. I'll say around $1k for the current HT setup-but depending on the deal and value, I can be very flexible with the budget.

The reason I chose those subs in the list is I picked up on eBay the two velos to try out (I couldn't pass them up for the price), and was considering jumping on the ML from audiogon (another decent price), and the Polk which is on sale now at J&R (for $499). The SVS is on the list because so far that is my top runner for the HT-Not just for performance, but because I think the cylinder may be a better fit since I am limited in placement options. Of course the SVS will be full retail (except for the preorder pricing).
    I need to avoid beasts that are too big, but I may not have that same limitation in the dedicated HT down the road if I would even need to change the sub.
    I haven't heard any of the listed subs yet, however I have heard the Klipsch I'm using now, as well as the ML Dynamo I tried out about two months(?) ago.

I figured anything bought now that I decided not to keep I might resell (but knowing me I'll horde them :o). I figured it would be a good idea to give myself some kind of reference for what each sub could do.
    So I was kinda trying to get an idea for where each sub stood among the folks here.

I must say though that I'm interested in the comments about the PSW1000-can anybody elaborate on that one?

• mmadden28
    edited November 2008
    OK, I'm about to jump on purchasing my sub (new),
    Just one last opinion before I jump.
    I am preferring the cylinder sub for the small footprint and ability to change the tune, but I'm not 100% tied to it. Performance is more important, but I don't want to go too big physically (WAF).

I'm thinking of these two subs at the same price point (just haven't seen the ML's at the same price point-maybe later):

SVS PC12-Plus cylinder 12.4 sub for $899 (pre order discount until 11/15)
    or
    Velodyne SPL1200R for $899 at AV123

Is one overwhelmingly better than the other? Or are they comparable?
    Does anybody think I might be better to wait for a possible Bl. Friday deal or is this likely the best price I'll expect to see on these?

Thanks

• donedroolin
    donedroolin Posts: 225
    edited November 2008
    VELODYNE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE WAY, Buy one and you won't be Sorry. VELODYNE!!!!!!!!!!!
    TV- 52 inch LCD SONY BRAVIA XBR6
    TV- 42 inch PLASMA HITACHI ULTRA VISION
    AMP- PARASOUND HALO A-51
    CONTROLLER- PARASOUND HALO C-2
    FRONT SPEAKERS- LSi15's and LSiC
    REAR SPEAKERS- LSi7's
    SUBWOOFER- VELODYNE DD15
    BLU RAY- LG SUPER BLU BH200
    BLU RAY- SONY BDPS350
    GAME SYSTEM- NINTENDO Wii
    MONSTER POWER CONDITIONER
    WIRES- AUDIO QUEST and MONSTER
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited November 2008
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    OK, I'm about to jump on purchasing my sub (new),
    Just one last opinion before I jump.
    I am preferring the cylinder sub for the small footprint and ability to change the tune, but I'm not 100% tied to it. Performance is more important, but I don't want to go too big physically (WAF).

I'm thinking of these two subs at the same price point (just haven't seen the ML's at the same price point-maybe later):

SVS PC12-Plus cylinder 12.4 sub for $899 (pre order discount until 11/15)
    or
    Velodyne SPL1200R for $899 at AV123

Is one overwhelmingly better than the other? Or are they comparable?
    Does anybody think I might be better to wait for a possible Bl. Friday deal or is this likely the best price I'll expect to see on these?

Thanks

I can offer my opinion on both of those subs. I had the SVS 25-31Plus (cylinder) for quite awhile & was very happy with it's performance. That is until I got my first Velo SPL-1200R. The SVS was great for HT but didn't handle 2 channel music to my liking. It just wouldn't integrate with my mains to save my life.

Now enter the Velo SPL-1200R!!! Damn!!! utterly fantastic for both HT & 2 channel. Fast, musical & dead on, music has taken on a new life.

In fact, I was so impressed with the Velo's performance, I went & ordered another one to add to my enjoyment. And at that price of $899, it's a steal to say the least. Also, the footprint of the Velo is a bit smaller than the SVS.

Good luck on your final decision.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • apple916
    apple916 Posts: 13
    edited November 2008
    Onecall has the velodyne Impact-mini for $399 shipped. They also have the dps-10 for $217.
  • mmadden28
    edited November 2008
    I don't know why I veered off course, but I couldn't pass up the deal on a DSW MicroPro4000 at Tweeter, so that is what I ended up going with. Now to figure out how to sneak it into the HT setup without the wife knowing.....

Thanks all for your responses, the information hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2008
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    I don't know why I veered off course, but I couldn't pass up the deal on a DSW MicroPro4000 at Tweeter, so that is what I ended up going with. Now to figure out how to sneak it into the HT setup without the wife knowing.....

Thanks all for your responses, the information hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Having heard that sub at PF, I am sure you will be pleased. That is a great sub and should work very well for a HT or 2 channel application.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited November 2008
    Does this mean you're going to sell your Klipsch RW-10D to me for cheap? :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000