Recommendations anyone....

Options
Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
edited May 2003 in Speakers
Here's my situation, from my profile below you should be able to tell I'm seroius about my H/T setup, I know its not B&K but my wife won't allow me to be that serious. But my question is, I'm interested in replacing my surrounds and rear surrounds. I'm currently using the speakers that came with my RM6600 satellite system I purchased a couple of years ago. Believe me, it's loud, but I know it could transition better across the rear of the room. So I guess what I am asking, does anyone out there have any recommendations on what POLK speakers I should purchase, should I go with a pair of dipole/bipole, a pair of bookshelf etc. I guess I just want to know what would transition best in the family room which is 24x24x8 (width, depth, height) And just in case someone needs to know the receiver is 110 watts x7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2003
    Options
    edit
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nice Sony ES stuff :) Love the DVD player

I would recommend the FXi50 for your application, for a dipole/bipole choice. Standard, I would suggest the RTi38.

Since you have such a large room, the FXi may be more suited for you. It will "cover" a larger area than the RTi38 will, the drawback being that you then have a specific purpose speaker.

ATC's suggestion of the RTi28 is also a good choice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2003
    Options
    For a 7. 1 setup, you'd want to use the F/Xi50's on the side surrounds, and the RTi28 or 38 for the rear surrounds. Rear soundstage should produce more of a pinpointable sound whereas the side surrounds should be a bit more broadened.

I have the F/X1000's for my side surrounds, and have had the bi/dipole speaker for surrounds for about 6 years. I tried direct radiating in place of them for a week and didn't like it at all.

Good luck.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.