New SDA 3.1TL

Herfnwolf
Herfnwolf Posts: 52
edited September 2008 in Vintage Speakers
I just picked up the Raleigh CL SDA SRS 3.1TL that was listed this week.

The oak is in easily restorable condition with a few light scratches. The grill covers are missing the Polk labels but are in ok but slightly soiled condition in places. The drivers look new, shiny, and perfect under the grill cover. There was no interconnect cable with the deal. $300.00 and they are in my garage now.

Questions:
I saw an after market IC on fleabay for about $40.00 delivered. will this work and any suggestions as to getting these covers and wood cleaned up?

I will use these in my larger entertainment room or in my smaller sports /tv/listening room.

Thanks,
DJ

Rosewood LS90s, SDA 3.1TL, original Monitor 10s
LS/FX
CS350
NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
original Monitor 10Bs
Original Rosewood LS90s,
SDA 3.1TL,
LS/FX
CS350
NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
B&K Ref 30,ST125.2,AV5000
[/FONT]
Post edited by Herfnwolf on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2008
    You need a pin/blade cable and the one on eBay is a blade/blade type, so it will not work. The pin/blade cable is no longer available, but you can make one. Since you only need the pin to pin connection, a modified RCA jack will fit.

Note: You must use a common ground amp with the SDA's. There are a few possible work arounds and if need be we can help with that.

Resolve fabric cleaner works wonders.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited August 2008
    Very good price on the 3.1TL's. Humidity in the garage is not good for speakers. Congrats on you find. F1nut is correct.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Herfnwolf
    edited August 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm trying without much luck, to find if my ST-125 BK amp is common ground. Any ideas. and thanks for the tip.

DJ
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited August 2008
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-19554.html

old thread about the same amp......somehwere it states that this amp would work with SDA's
  • Herfnwolf
    edited August 2008
    As a 4 year lurker and 23 year Polk owner I still am not qualified or allowed to post anything forsale here or even reply to a private message sitting in my mailbox....... forum rules but pretty silly.
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • Herfnwolf
    edited August 2008
    But, in a few more posts I will have my 10th post so I can reply.........
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • Herfnwolf
    edited August 2008
    To a person that was interested in my LS90s & SDA 3.1TL comparisons
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • Jeff Beaird
    Jeff Beaird Posts: 217
    edited August 2008
    Hey Herf, I'm VERY interested in your opinions. I am a LS90 owner and am looking at some 3.1's.
    Thanks, Jeff...
  • Herfnwolf
    edited September 2008
    Where could I find the grill Polk SDA emblems. I need two. Finding these will probably be close to impossible. Any ideas or sources. Thanks.

DJ
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited September 2008
    I don't know if Polk sells them or not,but I've seen them often on ebay.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2008
    You'll find the smaller Polk Audio badges on eBay from time to time, but I've never seen the signature plate versions for sale there.

Polk does not have any.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Herfnwolf
    edited September 2008
    OK, I've found something of marginal value that I can use for a trade + cash for some 3.1TL Polk grill logos. As I'm still sorting and moving into the new digs and I found an original 1985/6 Polk catalog featuring Polk Technology, SDA, Monitor, MM, car speakers,etc.

I hopefully will get these 3.1s powered up tonight, or at least this week and do a A/B with the LS90s.

Thanks again
    DJ
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • Herfnwolf
    edited September 2008
    ***update***

Well I finally got the B&K Ref 30, ST125.2 amp hooked up to the newSDA 3.1TLs.

Also at first listening I was not happy about the sound until I realized I had the pre-amp set to 5.1 when it should have been stereo by-pass mode. Once I switched it over the speakers came alive with the full signal...duh.

One of the SL3000 was blown after doing a swap to verify. I now need to investigate here on the forum what my options are in replacing/upgrading these tweeters.

My 10 minute first impression of a 3.1 vs. LS90 listening session was that the SDA had a wider sound stage and with very good percussion reproduction. The LS90s had a punchier and tighter bass with a lower and more narrow projection. I need much more time but I think with this larger room will be better suited with the 3.1TLs.

I still need Polk logos, SDA I=interconnect cable, and a new tweeter. :confused:

Thanks
    DJ
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • Herfnwolf
    edited September 2008
    Pictures of New SDA 3.1TLs and LS90s. The speakers are not spaced properly yet but when I get the system wired hopefully it will look a little more organized. I'm still trying to figure out one thing. Should I run interconnects and power my rear speakers with an amp in the rear of the room or run speaker wires from an amp in the front of the room.

Thanks
    DJ

Newroom.jpg

31TL-LS90.jpg
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited September 2008
    nice speakers (both pairs)
  • F1nut
    edited September 2008
    I now need to investigate here on the forum what my options are in replacing/upgrading these tweeters.

There is only one logical choice, replace both with the RD0198-1.

You'll have to make a cable. As it is, you're not getting all the speakers are capable of.

President of Club Polk

• Herfnwolf
    edited September 2008
    Thanks F1 and CL for the tips.

I just found a few SL3000s ...one as a replacement and one a backup...thanks;) I did use the old RCA mod as an IC cable but with a bad tweeter I did not linger in the listening mode. So now I'm down to two logos that will hopefully come around in time.

I'll post a better review as things get fixed and tuned in.

Cheers,:cool:
    DJ
    original Monitor 10Bs
    Original Rosewood LS90s,
    SDA 3.1TL,
    LS/FX
    CS350
    NHT 2 x SW3P/SA-3
    [/FONT]
  • Hi, I picked up a barely used set of 3.1s but also does not have the IC cable. I heard from several sources that you can modify an RCA. Could someone describe how to do this? My experience is telling me to cut off all the tabs on the RCA leaving the center prong exposed. Does this sound about right?