Anybody tried "Imagers" with LSi?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited May 2003 in Speakers
I'm thinking of ordering some and want to know if anybody here tried them yet. What kind of improvements did you get?

Thanx

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• ncw
    ncw Posts: 62
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Lsi not good enough?
  • organ
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ncw,
    The LSi is great. The best speakers I've heard but I was just wondering if using the imagers would make them sound even better.

Maurice
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    That depends. WTF are imagers? :)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Imagers are pictures you post up on the wall beside the speakers to make it look like u have double the speakers, in doing this it makes the mind think it is hearing double the sound which in returns makes better sound. Actually I never heard of em...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    edited May 2003
    Options
    LOL that's a good one MX =)
    phuz,
    Imagers can be found here: www.audio-ideas.com located on the bottom of the page. It's that oval ring thing that goes around your tweeters.
    They are very cheap $9.99 for a set.

Maurice
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    edited May 2003
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, el man, just call polk, order 2 posters of LSI's and tape it around ur tweeter. It'll *image* just fine...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    edited May 2003
    Options
    MX,
    Imagers are not audiophile voodoo stuff. A lot of people in audioasylum.com owns them and have great things to say. The used to offer a 30-day return policy and received none from any customer.

Maurice
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hell, they cost $10. Just try it.

BTW - I'm not a fan of pissing away money, but I've a habbit of trying these kinds of things just for **** and giggles. One time I built an antenna out of a wire dipole and a thing made of K'nex. Another time I had toilet paper under my minimonitors. I've tired using cans of soup to get my computer speakers higher, and I tried a few different brands of soup until I found one that worked the best. Waaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited May 2003
    Options
    For a couple of bucks it seems you could make the same thing out of foam insulating tape..... It is a cheap little tweek though..thanks for bringing it up.
    Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited May 2003
    Options
    STUFFMD
    cheap **** you are...man they only cost 10 bucks....how is that a waste of money????

Anyway It's a dampening device.........so to speak.But I'm sure polk took into account reflections off the cabnet when designing the speakers......You know polk used to add a dampening material around the rt 1000p series amount others that year.It was grey in color and from what I remembver they called it velvin......right????Somehting like that
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Looks to me that they may/could increase diffraction where the Polk Engineers are trying to eliminate it... I'm so confused!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Agree with Mantis.. they are supposed to minimize defraction. Many serious DIYers cover the front of the baffle around the tweeter with wool felt for the same reason. The physics behind the idea is solid, but not all materials work. Using regular old fabric-store felt, for example, doesn't work.

These particular ones seem odd to me in that they appear to be pretty thick, creating a "wall" around the tweeter rather than a flat surface... almost like a little mini-horn. Rather than them eating up any signal floating sideways out of the tweeter (which is what the wool felt is supposed to do), these would seem to instead bounce the signal back towards the tweeter and towards the front.

I agree with Mantis that I sort of think Polk thought about defraction when designing the enclosure.

..."cheap **** you are...man they only cost 10 bucks....how is that a waste of money???? "

I don't agree with this... whether one dollar or ten or a thousand, if the product doesn't work it is a waste of money... I guess I don't have some amount of money that I consider valueless, even 'only' ten dollars. There are months when a few more ten dollarses in the bank makes a real difference.
  • STUFFMD
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanks, Burdett....why the hell would you pay 5 times more for somthing than you had to........??? If some guy on E-bay had somthing for sale in perfect condition for $100 ...and another guy had had the same thing in perfect condition and wanted $500 for it , Mantis is saying he would pay the $500.....Glad someone has the money to burn........LOL....Anyway I AM saving up for a new AMP.
    Peace Stuff

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • STUFFMD
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey I think I just moved up to Polkateer....Coool.

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited May 2003
    Options
    STUFFMD,
    I may have came off harsh there,I dodn't mean it that way....bad choice of words.
    I just feel if this type of product is curious enough to try,10 bucks won't kill anyone.500.00 is a different story.
    No I don't have money to burn.I have burned away money trying to figure out where I wanted to be,but trail and error is a value I feel most of the time is worth the learning curve.

Trying to make your own,well you need to know the exact makeup of that product in order to recreate.I don't believe someone would sell you door foam.........maybe they would........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ncw
    ncw Posts: 62
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    I'm thinking of ordering some and want to know if anybody here tried them yet. What kind of improvements did you get?

Thanx

Maurice

Boston Acoustics CR-95 has a builtin imager around the tweeter that makes it hard to pinpoint where music is coming from. That elliptical shape indent around the tweeter is said to improve dispersion.
  • STUFFMD
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Mantis I was absolutely kidding....I ordered a pair myself....why not for $10..I was reading a little more into it and it mentions the shape being a factor and I am sure the type material has somthing to do with it as well.......But I will say for the tinkering tweekers like me I had some foam tape lying around and screwed around with it for fun and did notice a difference so I did decide to give the product a try. We should try to support people who come up with the crazy little tweeks for us.
    Peace Stuff

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center