heavy guns a coming

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
edited August 2008 in Gatherings & Special Events
i have some heavy guns coming in this weekend. i should have them here(dfw) by wed. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/opera_cyber800.htm
i already have the power cords in, windigo ($2300) on preamp and two thunderbird power cords ($950 ea.) for the power amps. i was also sent a windigo interconect to listen to ($550 direct, retail?). so far before the amps even arrive the cables have taken my present system to a new level.
anyone interested in listening and drinking a few brews give me a pm or email and we can set something up this weekend. i'll be in hog heaven. i'm in saginaw (fort worth).
marvin
ps. for you folks that don't believe in cables just come by and we can do some blind listening, bring your own cables to compare. you'll be surprised.
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156
Post edited by marvda1 on

Comments

• marvda1
    edited August 2008
    OK, after living with the cyber 800s for a while, here are some of my thoughts.
    First let's get the negatives out of the way. The first negative is the speaker binding posts are too close to the iec socket, I had to spread my speaker cable ends far apart to get the + and - ends to stretch around the power cord plug. Second was the distributor shipped only one faceplate as the other was on order. He left the one in place on one of the amps so I would see how to install the other when it arrived. Well Fedex must have dropped the box as when I opened the box the faceplate was loose in the box and the two acrylic tabs that locked the faceplate down were broken, now I'm waiting on the replacement tabs.
    Now to the good stuff. I was loving the way my system had turned out with the Usher R-1.5 power amp but when I put the Cyber 800s in place they made the Usher sound two dimensional and laid back. The details come in spades without being fatiguing. The sound stage is large and deep. The midrange is to die for and the amount and quality of bass surprised me. These amps are fast and no matter how complex the music they render every last nuance.
    I consider these amps a steal at the price being sold, $3995 +$500 up charge for gloss black side panels, two Manitou Thunderbird power cords @ $950 ea. and I'm in hog heaven.
    I've yet to receive any pm's or emails but my offer still stands if anyone wants to take a listen.
    Marvin
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited August 2008
    Congrats Marvin. I am happy that you are enjoying the new direction you have gone. Our systems are becoming quite similiar.

Regards,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • marvda1
    edited August 2008
    here's a picture of what the amps look like.
    Puritan PSM156
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    edited August 2008
    Congrats... The amp looks very impressive...