Sub settings

Lono
Lono Posts: 3
Hey All,

I just installed AB555's in my walls (5 of them, 1 for each audio channel) and I have a seperate powered sub. It is an Aiwa TS-W60. However, it has these settings on back which I don't understand. So, perhaps you could tell me what they mean and how to set them. For starters, the room is small... about 12' by 12'. The in walls are Polk and the receiver is an HK. The powered sub is in the front of the room to the right of the entertainment center. So can you tell me what these mean:

Turnover:
60 mz - 160 mz

Phase:
Normal
Reversed

Volume:
well, I simply keep the volume on full and let the receiver decide when to send instructions. Also, on my receiver I turn the bass to about 3/4ths when I listen to music. However, when I watch movies I always crank the bass to its fullest position.

any help with helping to maximize my mini-theater would be awesome.

thanks,
kpl
lono@mindspring.com
Post edited by Lono on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Originally posted by Lono
    Turnover:
    60 mz - 160 mz

Phase:
    Normal
    Reversed

Volume:
    well, I simply keep the volume on full and let the receiver decide when to send instructions. Also, on my receiver I turn the bass to about 3/4ths when I listen to music. However, when I watch movies I always crank the bass to its fullest position.
    [

60mz - 160mz? Really? I would've guessed Hz. Anyway, that is the dial that determines at what frequency the sub begins to roll off (the nickel answer).

The phase switch essentially swaps the wires to the driver. Depending on LOTS of things, one switch position or the other may sound better to you. Use the one that sounds best.

Oh buddy.. are you gonna get it. **I'm** not going to get into the super details of your bass management set-up and current choices... but I'm wagerin' you aren't operating in an optimal fashion right now. I would guess that that Aiwa amp shouldn't be turned up to full. What level is the sub at on the receiver? Please don't try to leave town, sir.. the bass police will be here shortly.

When you say the bass is at 3/4.. you mean you have a traditional "bass knob" that you can turn? Geez... maybe its time to consider a better sub if you're so bass hungry.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    I think that 60-160 in 60 hz-160hz. You should find out what your receiver's cutoff is for low frequenzy (probably around 90-100hz). I'd set it on the back of your sub to anything above your receiver's cutoff. The other two really depend on your placement of your sub and what you hear and like. Play it by ear.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Lono
    edited May 2003
    Help!
    I am even more confused now. How do I figure out when my receiver 'cuts off'? The 3/4 I was refering to is the manual dial on my audio receiver (Harman Kardan AV5). I keep it lower for music because the bass otherwise overwhelms the sound. However, when I watch DVD's (the player is a Sony) I want Jerry Bruckheimer sound... in a small room. So how do I want my 'cutoff' settings, and my phase as well.

thanks in advance for any help
    kpl
    Parker, CO
  • Lono
    edited May 2003
    Hey,

40 of you have read this and I have 3 replies. Please give me ideas. It's a 12X12 foot living room. There are 5 satellite speakers in wall and a powered sub to the bottom right of the entertainment center. Help me maximize my mini home theatre options.

thanks,
    kpl
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2003
    Place the sub in a front corner of the room, turn the crossover all the way up on the sub, set the phase to normal, and turn the bass and treble to flat (12 o'clock) on the receiver. Use the test tones on the receiver to ensure that you have equal volume from all speakers and the sub from your primary listening position (easier with an SPL meter from Radio Shack). The receiver should have a channel level or volume control to let you make adjustments to individual speakers and the subwoofer will have its own volume control to change it. Start with this and then update us and we will go from there.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    First off, I'd suggest we get the Cross Over thing fixed. The detail us folks here need to know is what is the overall frequency range of these AB555 speakers? What is the lower -3dB cut off frequency? These details should be available in your speaker manual and will help us determine what setting you should have for your Subs "Turnover" setting.

As for what some of the other folks were referring to about the internal cut-off on the HK, it has to do with bass management handled by your AVR. Check your manual or the OSD (on screen display) setup of your HK to see what the AVR's low-pass crossover is set to. This should be found in the speaker configuration/setup menu or section of your manual. Typical settings are 80, 100, or 120Hz. Some AVR's are fixed at a specific setting such as 90 Hz.

Let's get this out of the way first then we'll progress with the Phase and Volume knobs.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....