Darkness Falls - Hella Bass

Options
2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,076
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Just a tad louder bass, Ill report back when I buy that cable. BTW - sorry for hi-jacking the thread! LOL!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Christ, Sid - just buy a coax cable and run it from the DVD player to the PE. One output, one input, both labeled digital. Set the DVD player to bitstream and the PE should pick up all six discrete channels. The PE should light up as Dolby Digital.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The DVD Player is on right now, it says *two squares, side by side* DIGITAL. I dont have the funds to buy a cable, I have a list, and as I mark each one off I will come to the cable. I dont watch enough movies to go out and buy it. When I buy Banana Plugs, AV Cables, S-Video Cables, I will buy the coax Cables also. Its all a process. Going out of the process makes bad order, and I must stick to the 'plan' (so to speak). I will report back with results when I buy the cable though. Have patience.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I THINK I GOT IT!!! WOO HOO! I will check to make sure tommorow when no one is sleeping! BUT GOLLY I THINK I GOT IT! lol! I went into the DVD PLAYERS settings and the sound was set to digital hook up, so i turned that off, and I can notice a HUGE difference in the bass on a small scale of volume. I will check back in tommorow and let you know doc! Thanx again for all your help!
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Mx, if you have an extra yellow rca cable around you could use that as your digital coax cable until you can get a real one. Don't forget to turn the digital back on too!
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Mx, if you have an extra yellow rca cable around you could use that as your digital coax cable until you can get a real one. Don't forget to turn the digital back on too!

Finally someone tells me what I can use that xtra video cable for! THANK YOU!!!!
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ok, I have the xtra video cable (no its not thoughs factory cables, its a Ratshack Gold Cable) plugged up, I ran it into Coax 2 on the back of the receiver, then I went into receiver setting. There I turned coax 2 on DVD. Then I went to DVD settings and turned on digital input again. Is this right?
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2003
    Options
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    yup :)

ty! ty!
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I can't believe with your whole setup (5.1 specifically)..you never used your digital output. Wait until you hear your rears working. I see you got PLII, but that doesn't compare to 5.1 digital.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • ChrisDurano
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Ok, I have the xtra video cable (no its not thoughs factory cables, its a Ratshack Gold Cable) plugged up, I ran it into Coax 2 on the back of the receiver, then I went into receiver setting. There I turned coax 2 on DVD. Then I went to DVD settings and turned on digital input again. Is this right?

Don't forget....you probably need to go thru you DVD's onscreen menu to turn your digital output on. Its probably set to analog.

• ChrisDurano
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Oh and btw........

WELCOME TO THE DIGITAL WORLD

• Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Bitstream is the keyword in the DVD onscreen menu. I think PCM is the alternative for analog, but I'm not sure.

Your PE will light up all six channels if your DVD player is configured properly. You will get hella bass from the LFE channel, as compared to DPL II.

Doc

SVS
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Mx,

Let get this thing over with, if you can't afford to buy a decent coax digital cable, email me or leave your address in here, I will send you one. I'm sure when you have the proper cable, everything else will fall in place.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Good on ya - the set-up advice alone in this thread would have cost hundreds from an installer. We've gott get Sid fixed up and close out this bad boy.

SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Bitstream is the keyword in the DVD onscreen menu. I think PCM is the alternative for analog, but I'm not sure.

Doc

If its anything like my Cal Labs PCM is the digital out if I'm understanding this correctly. PCM is "Pulse Code Modulation".

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo

If its anything like my Cal Labs PCM is the digital out if I'm understanding this correctly. PCM is "Pulse Code Modulation".

HBomb

Thanks, Henry - going from memory and all I remember is PCM and bitstream and maybe they are in the same line.

"Pulse Code Modulation" - sounds like it belongs in the **** Song.

:lol:

SVS
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Did I miss something, or was it advised that you can use a *regular* patch cord for a digital coax connection?

I don't quite understand this, unless, as you go up in quality in patch cords, at some point one WILL carry the digital signal even if you haven't made it all the way to "digital" quality. I, in my ignorance, tried using a regular old patch cord for the digital connection, and went a week thinking my receiver had a fault because it would never kick into DD mode. The cheap-o Magnavox DD cable from Sears solved that problem, and I've since upgraded to an AR cable.

And I don't think there is a difference between a cheap video patch and an audio patch, except the color of the end.

On a side note... I found this thread to be an utterly annoying read. First, a **DVD** player is blamed for lack of bass.. christ, couldn't be that god's gift to subwoofers M&K now, could it... then a general pisspoor, cocky, **** attitude that, frankly, I'm quite weary of. You can't even escape it because the same type of **** post shows up anywhere, any topic, any time. I might be able to handle the attitude if there was *any* technical knowledge behind it.. but christ, we have our own audio/video version of Iraq's information minister.... Sid? ****.. Saeed.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Well Burdette I think you have a point there.

I can't remember off hand what the impedance of a vidio cable is??? Depending of the quality of the DAC you can sometimes get away with using a cheap rca just to get ya going but for long term, critical listening I don't think thats the way to go. I think it was just to kick start the SID. 75 Ohm or bust I guess.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    HOLY SHEAT! I put in some spiderman! MY LORD! The surrounds were rockin, and the bass was much stronger. Still not up to my taste. The PE movie soundfield are weaker than the music ones also.