"Grandparent" speakers for under $300?

Options
2»

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Read the whole thing, you start with the HTIB, then upgrade the center and fronts, leaving 3 extras.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Give 1 'extra' (center) away on the forum for the price of shipping to someone who needs it.

THEN, take the 2 other sat's, get a psw250 from JandR.com for $99, and put music in a 2nd zone at Gramps humble abode.

How ya like them apples?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rs159
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dem apples sound good.

Their computer speakers are the tiny little things that came with the computer when they bought it, so it would be a pretty big upgrade IMO.

Or, I could put a second zone as suggested in the dining room. That would take upwards of 100 feet of speaker wire, and does anyone know how to increase a remotes range?
  • ncw
    ncw Posts: 62
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Did you consider selling your receiver in the open market?

Then you could consider the Sony Dream System. I don't own one but I think it is pretty good - complete Dolby Digital 5.1 with 100 watt subwoofer for $379!!!
  • rs159
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ncw
    Did you consider selling your receiver in the open market?

Then you could consider the Sony Dream System. I don't own one but I think it is pretty good - complete Dolby Digital 5.1 with 100 watt subwoofer for $379!!!

I guess this CC reviewer sums up my feelings. I'm not such a **** about it, but...

Reviewer: ct from west orange, nj
    4 out of 5 found this review helpful

what do you expect
    I've read reviews about this system saying sound level not too loud or a passive sub or etc. First, look at the damn thing and its competitors. They all feature speakers as small or smaller than those for your computer. And yet people complain it won't power a large living room? com'on! And passice subs? that idiot didn't realize that passive is generally better than active, since the active sub usually has a cheap amp to power the sub. here, its a cheap amp to power the sub, so its a draw either way. but once again, for the money - what do you expect? i mean, a real sub (active of passive) goes for the price of this system itself. Anyway, Im not saying its a bad system at all. look what you get - 5 speakers, sub, and full head unit with dvd/cd/sacd/receiver. you gotta understand it has the speakers of a computer system, but at least they're decent quality. if you want a real system, spend $1000+, minimum.

Receiver $250
    Speakers $300
    DVD $100
    wires and such $100

$750, a little more than twice as much as the Dream system, and 10 times better. Go figure. I would use it for a computer, though.

edit - wow, aren't I a math genious?!?!

Sony Dream system - $400 (380 on sale)

380 x 2 = 760

400 x 2 = 800

So the real system is -not- "more than twice as much".