Yet again...a bi-wire question.

gacole2000
gacole2000 Posts: 255
I used IXOS Gamma 13 to bi-wire my CS400. However, most info I have seen uses a 13/15 set up. My question is: is it imperative to have different gages of wire for HF & LF in a bi-wire set up? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks- Greg
AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
BR: Samsung 1600
Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
Center: CS300
Sides: FX1000
Rears: RT/FX
Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
Power: Panamax MAX 5100
Remote: Harmony One
Post edited by gacole2000 on

Comments

• gacole2000
    edited April 2003
    I too am sold on IXOS. I use all their Gold interconects and I run 13 on front stage and 15 on 6.1 surrounds. Not to mention it is a GREAT value (it looks cool too)! I have the extra wire to experiment with, I was just wondering if the different gage effected which freq. went where, and by using the same gage on both????

thanks for the input- Greg
  • gacole2000
    edited April 2003
    that's what I was thinking. Also, I seem to remeber a post here a while back asserting that in actuality, the HF should get the thicker wire. Did you see that?

Greg
  • gacole2000
    edited April 2003
    I as well, but I do remember it was a heated (as usual) debate and was supported with lots of technical mumbo jumbo-for what that's worth.

:-) Greg
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Its all about skin effect or the way the signal penetrates into the cable. Electron mobility resides on the surface of the material and I think its a bunch of bunk for audio or frequencies in the audio band but micro-wave is a different story. This is my engineering judgement and I'm sure there is an engineer out there that would disagree but I really don't give a shiite... minimize lossed and ensure good electrical connections and you'll be a happy camper.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2003
    HBombToo,
    why are the gloves out?relax man.Your opnion is as much value as the next guys.....

gacole2000,
    Ixos has reasons for constructing there bi wire cables the way they do.Like KimberKable,they feel using different guages yield best performance for the job intended.

If you really want to know why,call Ixos and ask.I'm sure they will be happy to explain there wire theory with you.

Here's what I do.I don't judge a wire on how it's built untill it sounds good to me.Built quality goes along way with me after the fact.If the cable sounds like crap,it can be built as good as the best in the world,it doesn't matter at this point.Different guages,pretty colors,it doesn't matter unitl the wire can perform.Then built quality comes into play for me.

I say get your research on and learn why alot of companies use different guages to do different jobs.Some companies like Monstercable uses the same exact guage for all 4 conductors in there bi wire cables.

I'm not sure what or why which technic would be better.I'm no electrical engineer.But I do know what sounds good and what doesn't.

Wire is the finishing touch on a given system.Using the proper level of wire is what the goal is.Matching the correct sound with the correct sound(this is determined by the person building the system).Tweaking if you will.

Ixos is a really good wire company.I believe they have good reasons for what they do.Call em and find out first hand instead of getting opnions.
    Thats what I do.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2003
    There's always a reason....most of them are marketing driven.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    everythings marketing driven huh Troy
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited April 2003
    Not everything, but a lot of it, yes. To think otherwise is niave.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    SO my question is how do you know what is and whats not?How my man how?
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited April 2003
    Ok, Dan, I'm going to give a VERY short lecture on marketing (I spent a few years studying it so pay attention) , the whole premise of marketing is to position your product in such a way that people will buy it. It's a pretty complex issue. Nor am I suggesting that it's all smoke and mirrors or fundamentally dishonest. You can have the greatest product in the world but if you can't get anyone to buy it, you are still screwed. This is the fundamental premise, you have to convince people that your product is unique in such a way that they will want to buy it.

How do you decide if something is for you? It's like toilet paper, I try it, if I like it, I stick with it.

Don't kid yourself, marketing is a HUGE industry and the audio world is not immune from it.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Gotcha Troy,
    I agree with that totally.Everything needs to be marketed somehow.It just seems you think things are marketing hype and not good products.I beg to differ on alot.
    Dan
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2003
    I think you're in a better shape if you use the same grade of speaker cable for the purpose of bi wiring, why go through the extra exercise to introduce trouble any way? Why using different kind of spark lugs to tune up your car? Why mixing tow different kind of anit-freeze for your cooling system? Why do you want the signal travel on two different road conditions to get to your speakers? I think you know the answer.

I stay out of the marketing issues, I do what make sense to me.