Monster Z2 biwire 10ft ($199)
OR
Monster M1.4s biwire 10ft (225)

For fronts and center channel;

My gear is
LSi9 fronts
LSIC center
Rotel 1055

I am currently using monster 10gauge with radio shack bananas.

any input is appreciated
Lsi9s front
LsiC center
artison surrounds and surround back
Panny XP30 DVD player
HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A1
B&K 507
SVS CS Ultra (powered by samson 1000)
Pioneer 503CMX plasma
Panny PT-AE900U proector
Lumagen HDQ video processor
Monster HTS 5100
Dish Network VIP211
Post edited by dmamsa on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    Options
    dmamsa, you may want to check out the tread i started called Wrong mating of cable/amp/receiver. I"m having "issues" :lol: with my Z2 biwire cables. I call them cables.. other people call them wires.. they are wires.. in a thick housing.. so I refer to them as cables.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would go with whatever is the cheaper of the bunch. A high grade cable is a high grade cable to me. Both of those qualify as much better than average, so the safe bet is price. I am not a purist, so the absolute is not a factor for me.

As long as it isn't lamp cord, you are stepping up to new soundstage.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I agree with dorokusai, why spend the extra dinero, im sure the Z2's will impress the heck out of you. Will you gain that much more by going with the more expensive ones? I highly doubt it. But it's not my money either.
  • dmamsa
    dmamsa Posts: 80
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I have been wrestling with the cost vs benefit issue-not an easy one.

Since I did spend a large sum on these equipment - I am thinking why should I skim on speaker cables-

You all may be correct- I may not hear a difference ..but again my system is as good as the weakest link.

darn! when would this upgrade bug dissapear :)
    Lsi9s front
    LsiC center
    Panny XP30 DVD player
    HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A1
    B&K 507
    Pioneer 503CMX plasma
    Panny PT-AE900U proector
    Monster HTS 5100
    Dish Network VIP211
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Doro - <pounds chest with closed fist and raises to sky> Rock On Rock On!!:lol:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited April 2003
    Options
    My .02, I don't think you'll notice a $26.00 difference. You will notice a difference when you add at least a few more hundred or more.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    Options
    My dad uses Z2's, and between that wire and the Z1 we use for our livingroom HT, there is a slight difference when used on the same system. Not a huge difference, but it is audible to *some* extent. Really, I wouldnt consider Z2's skimping at all, great entry level wires. Either way you will be taking quite a step up, and you will more than likely be very pleased with the results.
    I am not sure if the problems Danger Boy is having are common, it may be just that he is now hearing the flaws in recordings or the natural, unrestrained sound from his components or speakers.
    Let us al know what you decide to go with, and how it worked out for you.
    Mike
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    dmamsa,
    Wanna Know???MOnster M series is a step up from Z series.Z series is in the clas of Monster Standard.Good quality cables but Mseries has more technology.Go get your read on and learn about the 2 different speaker wires and why one costs more then the other.
    I personally own M1.4s bi wires and I feel they are great sounding wires.
    You went the extra mile and bought LSI,why stop there?

Tell you what,here's what I would do,buy both,listen to both,which one sounds better????Keep that one.....return the other.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I agree with Mantis-The "M" series would be the best bet i also use those for system #2.. beins i can't bi wire the RT-7's i got off a little less expensive........
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Tell you what,here's what I would do,buy both,listen to both,which one sounds better????Keep that one.....return the other.

I thought that cables fell into the same category as Computer Software in that once it's opened, it's not returnable.........no?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dmamsa
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hey Mantis;

Thanks for the info- I did know that M series was a step above but there is a price overlap between the Z (Z3 are more than M1.4s) series and M so I wasnt sure.

I donot know of any dealer in the Bay Area who carries the M series I would most likeley get it on line (any recommendation on online dealers).
    Lsi9s front
    LsiC center
    Panny XP30 DVD player
    HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A1
    B&K 507
    Pioneer 503CMX plasma
    Panny PT-AE900U proector
    Monster HTS 5100
    Dish Network VIP211
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    check out Sound City, Jersey, dba as yahoo's AV Shopper. Great price!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    brettw22

no You can return cables after you open the box,hell the box is a case.You can repack them as new allday.

Just get the M series and not play with the lower end wires.You came this far why stop now......forget about the Z series.......
    Dan
  • dmamsa
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese;

I checked soundcity.com and they donot carry the M series-

Any other recommendations?
    Lsi9s front
    LsiC center
    Panny XP30 DVD player
    HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A1
    B&K 507
    Pioneer 503CMX plasma
    Panny PT-AE900U proector
    Monster HTS 5100
    Dish Network VIP211
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Tweeter in your area anywhere?????
    Dan
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hey dmamsa-
    Where in the Bay Area are you located? I am in Santa Rosa, and if you are near I might be able to steer you towards a few places. Mike
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    dmamsa,
    here it is:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/avshopper/preparedspkrcable.html

this is their webstore, talk to Rosanno (sales), he will take care of you. Or as Dan says, Tweeter carry them too. Good luck!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Other recommendations? Yeah, check these...http://www.mitcables.com/products/shotgun.asp
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dmamsa
    edited April 2003
    Options
    dthomps;

I am in Livermore area ..let me know if you know any dealers around here with a good return policy.

No tweeters in bay area....

Polkatese;

thanks for the link- I will call them tomorrow.
    Lsi9s front
    LsiC center
    Panny XP30 DVD player
    HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A1
    B&K 507
    Pioneer 503CMX plasma
    Panny PT-AE900U proector
    Monster HTS 5100
    Dish Network VIP211
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited April 2003
    Options
    dmamsa you will be happy with either cable. Im a Monster dealer & I have sold about equal amonuts of the m1.4 bi wire & the Z2 bi wires. I have have tried the 1.4 bi's on my system before purchasing the Z2's bi's. There wasnt a huge difference infact the difference was quite small. I like what the Z2 sounds like & have no complaints. The m1.4 was equaly as good & I borowed a friend / customers set for about a week. I too had a hard time deciding, but after talking to my Rep at Monster & reading reviews I went with the Z2's with master pin ends, w/ bananas on the receiver & spades on the speakers. I had Z1 prior to switching & the differnece from Z1 to the Z2 bi's are very noticible. If you were concidering the M2.4 bi's that would be a easy choice over the Z2 bi's. Remember the M series is monsters top consumer line not counting the sigma line, but within that line there are different grades. Right under the M series is the Z series, also with different grades. The M1.4 bi's are the mid range m series bi wires & the Z2 in the Z line is the Best Z series bi wire. Do you have any rear surrounds? If so what type of speaker cable are you using? Do you want your rear surrounds speaker cable/wire to match with your front? I have Z1 in 40' legnths to my rears so the Z2 bi's match well with the Z1 rears. click this link for pics of out system http://www.ezconnection.org/ezcsystem.htm
    hope this helps. If you need cables let me know & I can give you a price on them.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited April 2003
    Options
  • danger boy
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ecz thanks for setting us straight on the different levels and the grades of bi wires from Monster. I own the Monster Z2's for my fronts. I can't imagine any cable sounding any better than these do. BUt i could be wrong.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Neither at that price point. Look at MIT, Kimber, Signal Cable, and Audioquest.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Screw Monster Cable - I've owned them, and found better cable. Nordost is the best; however, the high end Nordost cable is tres expensive. I can vouch for Kimber and Cardas cables, too. I and others have found Monster Cable is smartly marketed and highly overrated; however, Monster Cable is at least better than lamp wire and the flimsy interconnects that come standard w/ most units. Go to Audiogon.com to get an idea of the better cables used on some nice systems.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Isn't that a matter of opnion.
    Dan