Denon 1082(3802) vrs. 2803

Options
morley
morley Posts: 9
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Hi All,

I've narrowed down my choices for a new receiver to the Denon 1082(3802) or the newer 2803. Prices are almost the same at Etronics. I like the power rating on the 1082 but prefer the features on the 2803. I'm mainly concerned on the processing of 7.1 sound. The 2803 has Dolby Digital Surround EX but the 1082 does not.

Any opinion on what the surround quality would be like on each of these? Do I need to have Surround EX to get good separation with the 7.1 speaker setup using Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded DVD's? Almost nothing has DTS so their descrete 7.1 is of little use to me.

Also, is the better sound quality and volume on the 1082 more value that the surrounf capability of the 2803? I really want great stereo sound. Surround is secondary at this point.

I using RT800i, RT25i and RT25i speakers.

Thanks for any help,

Morley
Post edited by morley on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Morley......

You said that both receivers are about the same money.......how much we talkin here? When it comes to purchasing electronics, specifically with receivers, you really need to look at it as something along the lines of planned obsolescence. As soon as you buy one receiver, you're gonna find something else that you want, or new tech will roll out. Personally, I think that you'd be crazy to buy something that's not as current as possible (within your budget).

You said that almost nothing used DTS......I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There are LOTS of DVD's that are mixed in a DTS track, and be assured that as time passes, you'll see it more often than not. (My only **** about the DVD releases is that like clockwork, the studios will release a bare bones version of the disc with DD, then re-release with the DTS track and extras later.....****)

Even if you're not looking to utilize the 7.1 capabilities right now, maybe later you will, and you'll want to have the most capable receiver with the most processing options. True, there are receivers that go overboard with features, but that's up for you to decide which you'd actually use or not. You said that you like the features of the 2803 better. If you can get the newer model, for the same price as the older, I think that the decision is already made for you, ya know?

Only other thought is that going purely off of what the MSRP's are for the two models, you're a couple hundred bucks off of the 3803. Is that not an option that falls within the budget?

Let us know what you decide to go with.........Have fun!!
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • brettw22
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Just one more thing........

I'm curious if you've decided that (for upgrade purposes) you're going to be keeping your same set of speakers, or making small changes but still staying in the RT line of speakers. Last thing ya wanna do is to go out and buy a new receiver, only to then decide to buy something like the LSi's and find that your new receiver won't cut it. It's happened to others here........I'm just makin sure....... :D
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I haven't really given a serious listen to either of these receivers, but I can say that you are headed in the right direction. I use the Denon avr-3801 (about a year older than the 3802) and it is awesome. It will suit me fine for a while at least (bug hasn't bitten me again yet :D) I really didnt know what others meant when they said that the Denon and Polk's blend very well until I heard it first hand on my setup... its great though. If it were me, I would probably go with the extra headroom of the 3802, but I am using larger speakers, and have a pretty large room as well. I really think that with either choice you can't go wrong. Give both a listen, and evaluate from a first hand perspective.
    Take care. Mike
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I really want great stereo sound. Surround is secondary at this point

To put another twist here, you may want to check out a stereo setup. I started out figuring I wanted a good surround system and assumed it would be great for stereo sound.

I have a Denon 2802 with RT1000i it does everything pretty well. After some help for this forum, I'm now thinking of getting an integrated amp purely for 2 channel stereo. I'm not getting rid of my receiver because I do like to watch the odd movie and music DVDs are great too.

Anyway, my point is think over what you're looking for surround or 2 channel stereo. I listen to 2 channel about 90% of the time rather than surround, so for me I think the 2 channel is the way to go and that's the path I'm currently taking.

If you like the features on the 2803 over 1082, go with the 2803. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can see the only major difference is the 90W/channel vs 110W/channel. In that case I think 90w is plenty unless you really need the extra power.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It seems as though you have made up your mind to buy a Denon...with that being said, I don't think you will find any mucial differences in the Denon product line. They will sound almost identical in music and movies.

As far as features are concerned...here is my take on features: Most features are not used, and you should never by a product based on features. Features don't mean crap, and are just a sales gimmik...the only things you should be concerned with are DD processing and DTS processing. Pro-Logic 2 is ok, but not necessary. I look at it this way, Bells and whistles grow old fast and eventually become forgotton, whereas power or the way it sounds will never go out of style. You have to ask yourself if you are going to use more than a 5.1 setup. If you are, then EX, ES might be what you need, but remember 7.1 is not a standard...it is just a gimmik to sell the product...5.1 is still the standard at which all things are measured.

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • brettw22
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by BeginnersLuck
    ..........remember 7.1 is not a standard...it is just a gimmik to sell the product...5.1 is still the standard at which all things are measured.

Agreed that 7.1 isn't the standard, but I'd hardly call it a gimmick. There are several people that prefer the way that their systems sound set-up that way, and a 7.1 receiver would be more future ready than anything(might be missing a few formats at that point, who knows). I don't see the harm in getting something that has the ability to be utilized in the future, regardless of 'industry standard', or at least what that standard is...........for today.
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    Options
    http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/avr1082.pdf

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR2803%20Lit%20Sheet.pdf

It seems like they're almost identical other than power, remote and inputs. The variable crossover on the 2803 going down to 40hz vs 80hz on the 1082.

It's a toss up for $200.

Derick.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22

Agreed that 7.1 isn't the standard, but I'd hardly call it a gimmick. There are several people that prefer the way that their systems sound set-up that way, and a 7.1 receiver would be more future ready than anything(might be missing a few formats at that point, who knows). I don't see the harm in getting something that has the ability to be utilized in the future, regardless of 'industry standard', or at least what that standard is...........for today.

I agree that it is cool to have the 7.1 capabilities if you have the room for it. However, I also think that a well placed 5.1 setup can rival a 7.1 setup...So it comes down to having the room to place the addition pair of speakers...and questions if those two additional speakers are even needed.

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • morley
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Great advice all....

I'm still checking the specs.

I promised the girlfriend that I would not upgrade after this receiver for 10 years (Yikes!). Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Because of that, I want the most advanced features I can get for the price, just so that in two years I find that I'm not having to upgrade.

Do you folks think that there is much of a difference between the two (2803 vrs. 1082(3802))? Is the 1082 lacking any features that I may regret not having in 5 years? They both support 7.1 with the 1082 having 110 WPC vrs. 90 WPC for the 2803. Will there be much of a difference between the volume levels? Very noticable?

I live in Northern Canada and can't test drive either so I'm going on what you advise....

Thanks for all the info,
    Morley
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Morley,
    if your plan is THAT long, you better really take a hard look at 4802R or 5803, otherwise in less than 5 years, you would be looking for something else. Technology change so fast, just like buying a PC nowadays, it's obsolete as soon as you carted out from the store. My suggestions is to go to Denon.com, download the spec on the 5/4/3 series, compared them and understand what you will be missing out at each level, compared to the next, and decide. Personally, I would start with the 3 series and up. But, it's just me...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Morley,

I'm from Sudbury, Ontario. 90watts is plenty fine for me. I've never even come close to hitting the limit. I live in an appartment building and I would disturb a few people if I cranked it, it's pretty loud. That's all subjective though, if you like to crank your music I don't know how much the extra 20watts will give you or if you'll ever use it.

By the way, what's the canadian pricing for the 1082? My 2802 cost me $1200CDN. If it's the same a the 3803, you're talking a good $600 difference, in that case I'd go with the 2803.

Derick.

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    Options
    one feature you need to get is pre mains out,or all pre channels out puts. becase if you want to add amps later on you can. how many channels to get, 5 or 6 thats what the software comes in. they dont make 7 channel software.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    Options
    They both have the same preouts:

FRONT L/R, CENTER, SURROUND L/R,
    SURROUND BACK L/R, SUBWOOFER

• morley
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hi All,

Etronics lists the 2803 for $565; the 1082 for $599. I'm leaning towards the 1082. Anyone have experience with Etronics sales? The seem to have an OK rep. Being from Canada, this is more of a concern that USA. Canadian price on a 2803 is $1450. I can get it from Etronics for $1010 Canadian, abet no warranty from Denon. Should the warranty be a big issue with a Denon product? The 40% savings for the non-warranty product seems worth the gamble. Opinions?

Thanks all,
    Morley

P.S. Derick, I have an uncle living in Chelmsford. I like Sudbury!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Man, get the 2803.

7.1 all the way and BL I've gotta respectfully disagree. With DD-EX, DTS-ES, and DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete becoming more and more popular, 7.1 is absolutely the WTG if you are into HT. The use of two rear speakers vs. one makes a big difference in the size and stability of the rear soundstage.

There is a LOT of sound that comes from the rears on newer discs - it really adds a new dimension to the sound. I couldn't be happier with the 3803.

Re: The features - sure it has a lot of them, some I consider essential, other ones I don't use at all (like video upconversion). Features are only useless if you don't use them - it's really just a matter of perspective.

Here's a link to the latest extended surround DVDs. Only read the first post, it is updated as needed.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=19190&perpage=30&display=&pagenumber=1

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I purchased my receiver from Etronics. Not too bad, a little slow in shipping the item. I received half off the shipping due to the delay. Make sure if they say its in stock, that it is, I had to wait for about 4 extra days in order for them to restock the ES.

Sony ES doesnt have particulars when it comes to authorized dealer or not, so Etronics worked fine for me. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ok,
    This is a post of a guy who can't get out there and demo these receivers.....I already feel thats a bad move.What happens if you don't like how it sounds???Then you gotta return the thing and start over..............I don't agree with choosing a receiver this way,but your not me and visa versa.
    I can only offer what I would do if I where shopping for a new receiver.
    1)I would not buy anything under the avr3803.The avr3803 has more features and slightly more power.It doesn't have THX post processing but offers Denons version of cinema re eq...it works nice.
    2)What I would seriously look at for long term is the avr5803.THX ULTRA 2.Awesome machine and one of the very finest receivers on the market today.Supports everything even has a built in RF demodulator for Laser disc........That means something to me as I still own laserdisc.(I own the B&K avr307 and It doesn't have built in phono or RF,B&K offers this via seperate components....boo effin hoo).It has 3 independant zones.That means you can power a 5.1 system and 2 other powered zones like your outdoor speakers and a pair in the kitchen or in a bedroom(rooms/locations of your choice).Or power 1 zone,run 7.1 in the theater and buy another small power amp to power the 3rd zone.Keep this in mind that all Denon multiroom recievers offer independant zones....The remote isn't anything great but it can be programmed to work all your current gear and even can be RF.Now thats not to bad for a factory supplied control.I personally don't care for it,but could make and does make many happy.
    3)The avr4802r is also a serious machine.Another great long term reciever.Doesn't support 3 zones like it's big borther but still is a multiroom receiver nonetheless.It's power supply and caps are stronger then the avr3803.It's also alot more dynamic.THX starts here as well.....but with todays market,long term is a serious problem.Being current is a constant struggle.Things have calmed down over the last 6 months(thank god) but it's going to explode anytime now so......

with all that being said if it came doen between the 2 you where looking at,I wouldn't do it.I would save my money for the better receiver...only because you said it will be a long term purchase(But I'm sure that won't last)

The only other thing I would like to add to this thead is the fact that YES Denon mated really well with Polk rt series speakers.And if there was going to be a blind purchase like your about to do,then Denon is a pretty safe bet.I don't have your ears are no one does.
    You know from what I understand that the avr1082 is like B stock avr3802's,just something I heard in passing.I don't know if thats true or not,it sure looks like that......The avr3802 was /is a fantastic receiver.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.