LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 or LSi15 for rear?

Options
infinitiqx4
infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
edited April 2003 in Speakers
Its been a while since I posted here. Since then I've auditioned the LSi several times along with at least a dozen other brands and love them. I will be driving them with a Parasound 2205 with 315W at 4ohms.

I'm just trying to pick my final order for a 5.1 setup.

LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 or

LSi15/LSiC/LSi15 or

some other combo.

The difference between the 15 and 9 will only be $375 because of a package deal I worked out. I know I don't need the 15s in the rear, but stands for the 9 cost money too!

My new sub is an 18" sealed Adire Maelstrom EQ'ed on a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, but I won't be able to crank the sub up too much in my apartment.

Thanks.
Post edited by infinitiqx4 on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Not interested on the FX, I presume? For me, the FX on surrounds made quite an impact, I tried out with the 9 on the side, it's just too localized, unless you sit right on the sweet spot...

You are right, It's almost given that the stand will add an extra $150 for a nice one. Congrats!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited April 2003
    Options
    No to the FX. I want the direct. For DVDA and SACD I would really hate to have the FX. Eventually a 7.1 setup would be more diffuse anyway, but I won't have much room in the apartment.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited April 2003
    Options
    how long you plan on living in apt? I'd go w/ LSi7's and LSif/x. That way you'll be all set for 7.1
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • infinitiqx4
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I will be more than 5 years in this apartment. I did not like the LSi7 compared to the 9 or 15. Even though I'm using a HK525 with Logic7 for my pre/pro, I'm just not convinced in theory that 7 channels will be that much better.

LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 = base price
    LSi15/LSiC/LSi15 = +380
    LSi15/LSiC/LSi9/LSi9= +600

Since this is not dedicated for HT, I will be using lots of music as well. It seems that having higher quality over quantity is a good starting point? I can always add a 9 or FX later if the 7 channel formats or media become more prevalent.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I guess one of the biggest ??? in the price difference are speaker stands. How much would a good set of speaker stands for the 9 cost? From my reading it seems that the 9 is just too heavy to be wall mounted.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I feel sorry for your neighbors.:lol: If you do go w/ the 9's, can you mount them on the wall via studs? I like my Sanus speaker stands. They ain't too expensive. (probably around $100)
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would say 9 is definitely to heavy to mount, not to mention, because of its shape, will not be too WAF frendly. The 7, OTOH, has no issue and looks good. Stands are subjective, I use Sanus foundation steel series, sturdy and looks awesome. There are plenty of selections at Rack and Stands site..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Is this the site you recommend: http://www.racksandstands.com/
    Any particular brands that would be good?

So it seems that a good stand costs at least $75, so the difference between 15 and 9 is under $300! Is it worth it to get the 15 then?
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I tend to stick with Sanus (polk site also have a couple model, priced a bit more than here. For the rear, the recommendation is to go high (36") and I bought the foundation steel, since I already have a set for the FX.

Sounded like you REALLY want the 15 for the rear, don't you? would I? I dunno, I went with the 9 initially, then feels it's an overkill for surroundback duty, so went with the 7 and made the 9 for 2 channels duty, and happy with my decisions. If you spend significant amount of time listening to DVD-A/SACD multichannel, then I would say get the 15, if not, the 9 is no slouch (and looks good too) As long as your front is solid for 2 channel, then that should cover your basic.

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_cat.asp?catid=11
  • infinitiqx4
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I was REALLY set on the 9s for rears before. Then I was quoted the prices for a package, and for under $300 difference I'm really tempted.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    just do it......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Agreed. Just do it. Save the $300 for wire/cable or something. Or put it towards getting the PSW-808 when it comes out. heh

I've got my nines on some $50 metal stands (on sale) with spikes that I bought 8 years ago at some local 'hi-fi' shop. They do their job well.

15's are overkill for the rear, and will take up quite a bit more space. Even 9's IMO are a bit much for the rear. I'd go 15/c/7/7/psw-808

Whatever you decide, you will be happy! Thats a killer setup if I do say so myself. ;)
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    Options
    You know, you're going to have these speakers a long time. What's one or two hundred bucks over the long haul (especially in this hobby!)? It's more like why not do it? :)
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Get the 15's!!

1. The footprint will probably be exactly the same with sturdy stands and 9's vs. 15's.
    2. Resale value alone, if you get a deal on the package you can make some of your money back on the 15's if you ever decide to let them go
    3. They are better! Someone interested in Parasound equip. and LSi speakers obviously isn't looking for just some regular home theatre. Everyone has a price/performance ratio, but 300 is a fraction of what your total system cost is going to be.