Inwall vr. bookshelf for surrounds

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited April 2003 in Speakers
Because the Driftwood is narrow, I was contemplating ditching my RT25i's I am using as surrounds and replacing them with a pair of inwalls. Looking over Polk's line up, it pretty much sucks. Even the top-o-the-line RC85i has a FR of 30Hz - 20kHz, my current RT25i's are 50Hz - 26kHz, that 4k is a huge gap. Sure, the RC85i's go a tad lower but I've got my surrounds set to 'small' so that is not a concern.

Does Polk offer an older model inwall with a higher kHz? My old f/x300i's went to 22kHz and it sounded flat, thus the reason for the upgrade to the RT25i's.

I need Polk inwalls that go at least to 26kHz. Anyone? Buller? Why on earth would Polk not put the Tri-lam in the inwalls?

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited April 2003
    Options
    in-walls sweeeeeeet :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ron,
    why are you so into the spec's???You know Inwall rears are fantastic.In small rooms like yours,they would rock.Surround back and sides would make for killer theater.I do it all the time fantastic results and happy listeners.
    GET THE Rc65i's.They will match your system well.We will have to talk about sonofill,so they sound really good.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    O I forgot to mention that Piviting tweeters are a must with Inwalls.You can aim the tweeters where needed for the best results......I say go for it man,you'll dig em.Not to mention with the added space,you'll feel alittle more space and air.The room will come alive man...............
    Dan
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I personally have no experience with in-wall speakers, but have also been torn by the prospect. I have decided to go with normal speakers, simply due to home issues. I would like to upgrade my home sometime in the future also....:lol:

I have auditioned a few pairs, Paradigm/ Kef/ Polk Audio, and they all were obviously installed very nicely. Sound was just like a freestanding speaker. I figure, you minus a small amount due to the "regular person" installation, but one shouldn't lose too much in capability. Like Mantis mentioned, backfilling is definetly a must, and an actual psuedo-cabinet may be even better. Here is a link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-0L1eeY3gece/prodview.asp?I=188SC1

That's just an example, but the products exist to help you bolster the sound and performance. If you are cutting a hole in your wall anyhow, the inwall cabinet idea is really just rudimentary. Measure, cut, and break out the power nailer, or Liquid Nails.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Mantis, I had the f/x300i's and did not match up to my RT55's and CS400 well. Tri-lam vr. black dome. The 300's were not nearly as crisp and thus sounded flatter and they were 22kHz. These new inwalls only go to 20kHz. My fear is they will not match well at all, like with the 300's.

If...
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Oh yeah, would it be better to side mount'em or ceiling mout'em?
    If...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ron, can you recess a 'pocket' for the 25's, without 'horn' loading them? Not too deep?

Kinda like MC did with his rears?

If you want the tri-lam, you need to find some oop AB755 or 855's.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?recent=1&category=9

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I was thinking the same Russ. I might just build ceiling pockets for the 25's, have them down firing with a 10 or 15 degree inward angle. This should do the trick without too much trouble.

If...
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Agreed ,
    using Inwalls that match is always the way to go.I never liked the fx300.I felt CC should carry the fx500 as they match the rest of the rt line.
    In ceiling is good for rears.It sounds really good with proper placement.Resesing your bookself speakers will work if done properly.Good luck Ron.
    Dan
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ron,

I just had 3 rc65i inwalls installed back-filled and they sound great, I also had rt25i as surrounds, I upgraded to a 6.1 reciever and a new room, because one side had no side wall I was forced to mount them all in the rear, after being installed, delays set, and properly calibrated they sound fantastic, AVI electronics did a wonderful job. I guess what I'm saying is IMHO I think they would work, can't tell that much of a differnce from my 25i's.

CRJ:)
  • criverajr
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ron,

I just had 3 rc65i inwalls installed back-filled and they sound great, I also had rt25i as surrounds, I upgraded to a 6.1 reciever and a new room, because one side had no side wall I was forced to mount them all in the rear, after being installed, delays set, and properly calibrated they sound fantastic, AVI electronics did a wonderful job. I guess what I'm saying is IMHO I think they would work, can't tell that much of a differnce from my 25i's.

CRJ:)
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna give it a few weeks and see if I can find some older AB755's or 855's. If not, I'll recess my 25i's. Right now I've gutted all the seating which will take a few weeks to complete, once the seating is done, I'll move on to the surround issue.

CRJ, as I said above, the difference in tweets is noticable to myself, the whole reason I replaced my 300's with the 25i's. The newer inwalls are rated even less than the 300's are. I need the tri-lam's :)

If...
  • criverajr
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ron,

I HEAR ya, it has to sound good to you, good luck in which ever way you go!

CRj