I have seen the promised land and it ROCKED

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited May 2008 in 2 Channel Audio
So, I get up this morning, still without my stuff.....so, I says to myself, I'm going to the electronics mart in Seoul just for fun. The E-Mart is about a mile from the Army base at Yongsan, and it's about 2 city blocks with nothing but electronics vendors...so, I'm thinking that there has got to be some hifi there.

So, a bus and subway ride and a couple hours of navigating the mart, I entered the holiest of holies. I have NEVER seen such a blatantly disgusting display of audio **** in my ENTIRE life. The 100K Continuum Caliburn table that Fremer strokes his sausage in front of? Yeah, I heard it with a pair of Wilson Audio MAXX speakers with Burmeister electronics. Not too shabby. You name it, I saw it and listened to a good bit of it. Lot of vintage Tannoy too. I'll bet I saw a dozen vintage Thorens 124 tables. Oh, and did I mention the vinyl?? MUUUUUAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I found the MOTHA LODE. The only issue there is, it's not cheap. Oh well. On that one floor, I could spend an entire week and still not get into everything.

The added bonus is talking to the Koreans. These guys are some hard-effin'-CORE audiophiles...and they LOVE talking about it. Way cool. The guy whose shop has the Continuum Caliburn was just a phenomenal guy. I was actually leary of going in the shop but he saw that I had a couple of LP's that I had bought (a couple of choice Soviet pressings) and he insisted that I listen on his rig. So, he cleaned my vinyl and we listened to a Tchaikovsky's 5th that was an emotinal experience. I wouldn't go out and buy a set of Wilson's but the detail and sense of musicality that was coming out of those grooves? ****, makes our rigs seem like Fisher Price and Camptown races.

As a side note, I did find a shop that deals Polk. They had a very nice LSi HT setup.

Anyway, just a fantastic day and it's nice to know that audiophiles rock the world over.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Sounds like quite a trip there Troy. Thanks for the insight into audio in a distant land.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Sounds great. The only problem I see is living with what we have. I tend to not linger in store that make me long for new equipment. My wallet can't afford it.:(

Glad you had a great time,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I'm booking a flight.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Troy. I have also heard stories about those audio shops in asia. The ones in Japan are suppose to be ultra hardcore. Would like to check them out one day.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen.

How are the prices compared to here?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2008
    Options
    In case Troy didn't get any pics. I remember one of out member, Danny Tse, posted links to a lot of pics of asian audio shops several years ago. I think it was on this forum.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the read Troy. Sounds like you had a great time with some wonderful equipment.......now I'm sitting here wondering what it is that you will trade/purchase and come back with. ;):D

You lucky dog, you.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Went back today and snapped a couple of pics.....photographing in these places is verboten but I got a couple so you get the idea...

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited May 2008
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the read Troy. Sounds like you had a great time with some wonderful equipment.......now I'm sitting here wondering what it is that you will trade/purchase and come back with. ;):D

You lucky dog, you.

I doubt I'll come back with anything (well, perhaps a shitload of import vinyl...did I mention the mint German PF DSOTM pressing I bagged for 4 bucks today?? Total fluke) as, one, it's all 220v gear, two, it's WAY freaking expensive. There is a Korean audio brand, April Music or something to that effect that's supposed to be good and reasonable, but, again, it's all 220v. Plus, the stuff I got ain't exactly chopped liver, either. :D

As far as the software end of it, I found a couple places where vinyl is reasonable. I found a few more that have EVERYTHING but the desireable stuff is outrageously expensive. IE. Japanese XRCD's are 50 bucks a whack.

BDT
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2008
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    I doubt I'll come back with anything (well, perhaps a shitload of import vinyl...did I mention the mint German PF DSOTM pressing I bagged for 4 bucks today?? Total fluke) as, one, it's all 220v gear, two, it's WAY freaking expensive. There is a Korean audio brand, April Music or something to that effect that's supposed to be good and reasonable, but, again, it's all 220v. Plus, the stuff I got ain't exactly chopped liver, either. :D

As far as the software end of it, I found a couple places where vinyl is reasonable. I found a few more that have EVERYTHING but the desireable stuff is outrageously expensive. IE. Japanese XRCD's are 50 bucks a whack.

BDT

Troy -- any idea why the gear is so expensive there?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm booking a flight.

Why? There aren't any SDA's over there.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    Troy -- any idea why the gear is so expensive there?

Well, for starters, the dollar SUCKS right now.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2008
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Why? There aren't any SDA's over there.

Why not? I can afford it.

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you. Great speakers, like the SDA's, were sold worldwide, but you should have known that, Doh!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Went back today and snapped a couple of pics.....photographing in these places is verboten but I got a couple so you get the idea...

BDT

And they say 2 channel is dead. Pfffft

President of Club Polk

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited May 2008
    Options
    2 channel will never die !

Even in distant lands !

Sounds like a fun feild day...

So what speaks do you have your eyes on ?!!

you know your gonna !!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2008
    Options
    There is a Korean audio brand, April Music or something to that effect that's supposed to be good and reasonable, but, again, it's all 220v. Plus, the stuff I got ain't exactly chopped liver, either. :D

April Music's gear is marketed under the Stello brand here in North America. Highly regarded.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2008
    Options
    organ wrote: »
    In case Troy didn't get any pics. I remember one of out member, Danny Tse, posted links to a lot of pics of asian audio shops several years ago. I think it was on this forum.

It was on this forum, but I doubt any of the links will work now.
    beardog03 wrote: »
    2 channel will never die !

Even in distant lands!

It's in this country that 2 channel audio seems to be dying.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    April Music's gear is marketed under the Stello brand here in North America. Highly regarded.

I've only seen them marketed here as April Music. Underwood sells them that way, never heard of Stello.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Honestly? I haven't heard a speaker that I like better than the Quads....I've found my sound and have no desire to change.

Bingo, the dollar sucks right now.

BDT
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I'm with you Troy as I love Magnepan. I just picked up a set of Tympani 1D, fresh from a complete factory overhaul, this past week. There's just something about a 6ft x 4ft speaker that I love. My wife on the other hand....not so much.

What's the day counter down to now?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Agreed doro, I've gotta get my Maggie MG-IIb's sent off to the factory for a rebuild sometime soon. I wish they could outfit them with black socks tho. Doubt it, but going to ask anyway.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Terrax - Just talk to Karen in Service.....she's knows all.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Will do, thanks. :D
  • TroyD
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Man, I want to hear those Tympanis....that's hardcore juju right there.

Nice score there.

F1, come on over.

BDT