Removing Shift Knob

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited April 2008 in Custom Fabrication
Does anyone know how to remove this shift knob? It's a 1998 Mercedes C280 and I want to change it out. There is a screw on the top. I removed the screw, but now what?

Here's a pic...
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    I'm not familiar with Benz, but on GM, if you pull the shifter all the way back, there will be a U shape clipped on the bottom front of the knob.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2008
    I've never seen a car with four front-left windows. Cool.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    It's one of those optical illusions Ricardo, I see 4 front right windows, it means I'm more creative than you, or smell better than you or something.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited April 2008
    Hacksaw will take it off ina jiffy!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    My shift knob just twists off, did you try twisting it?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited April 2008
    My shift knob used to just pop off on the 3-4 shift if I was rowin' the gears pretty hard.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    My shift knob just twists off, did you try twisting it?

I tried twisting, pulling, yanking, and tugging, and I ain't talkin' about wackin' off.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    This is for a different model but maybe the procedure is the same :
    if you check for shift knob you'll see a silver piece on the shift nob. turn that silver piece counter-clockwise, it's like a ring. once that's done. just pull the shift up and the shift knob should be off. don't twist the whole shift knob as that will cause the shift to be loose.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    Like said above, either the bottom black part should twist off or the tan part should twist off...or a hacksaw.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Like said above, either the bottom black part should twist off or the tan part should twist off...or a hacksaw.
    -Cody

are we still talking about wackin off?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2008
    Look at the lower ring I have a shift knob that this ring unthreads down which uncovers a set screw then you can unscrew the knob like their taking about ...
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables