denon AVR-4802R opinions

Options
nedcampbell
nedcampbell Posts: 6
edited April 2003 in Electronics
I would appreciate any opinions on the denon AVR-4802R and what other receivers others that have looked at this receiver have considered. I will use this to watch dvds 50%, watch TV 40% and listen to CDs 10%. I will be hooking up to a Mits 65712 and Polk RM 7200.

Thanks.

Ned
Post edited by nedcampbell on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    One thought came to mind....overkill.For the kind of speakers you own I believe your overdoing it.
    For the speakers you own,and ever if you jump up to rt series in the future,a Denon avr3803 will be more then you'll even need and is still overkill now.But buying it will allow you to upgrade speakers if you choose without having to buy another receiver anytime soon less the LSI series.
    Without anymore input I can't give any better advise then that.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I was kind thinking the same thing, as far as receivers go. One thing about the 7200 package, regarding up grading the sub from your other thread, i believe the sub is packaged together with the speakers in one box, so you might not be able to upgrade the sub. I dunno, I could be wrong. I would consider doing a Denon 3803, RM7600, and an SVS sub. Just my thoughts.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    On a side note,I never saw a Denon Avr4802R,I got to get inot the store more often.It's been awhile since I really looked around or did heavy research on the latest and greatest.I feel all out of the loop on this avr4802R.I saw it on the website as I thought you made a TypeO..........I haven't seen one in the field yeat and New Denon receivers sell like there's no tomarrow.It we have it,one will be sold....and I should be Installing it real soon.
    But I now plan on stopping by one of our store to get a look see in person.
    To tell you the truth just by looking at the spec's on the website,it lokks like a software upgrade.No hardware upgrade other then new processors I saw,but I haven't dug deeply into it yeat......Gotta check this one out.I have a lot of respect for this receiver......class.It's a good one.:mad:
    Dan
  • nedcampbell
    nedcampbell Posts: 6
    edited April 2003
    Options
    You guys have been a big help. I have started to build on your advice.

Bought 2 pair of RM7600 sats and centers from Polk buddy for $525. Looking to find a third pair of matching sats. Probably will add SVS sub but still trying to decide which model. Leaning toward the 16-46CS. Any thoughts?

Went to local hifi store this weekend and thoroughly checked out the AVR3803 and fully agree this will fit the bill. I appreciate being steered away from blowing the bills on the 4802. This is next on the purchase list.

Probably will look to add the DVD-3800 but will use my starter Sony for now.

Thanks again for sharing. For a new guy starting out, a forum like this is a real help.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Sony dvd players are amoung the best of the best on the market my man.Starter or not,sony makes a hell of a DVD product.My favorite Starter DVD player allday..........
    Dan