need juice for new LSi's..which amp?

Options
gshisme
gshisme Posts: 1,038
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Here's another WHICH ONE question:

Thinking of purchasing LSi15's for up front and LSi7's in the rear for home theatre, music cd's and SACD. Looking for the best of both worlds at a reasonable price.

Question is this...what receiver or separates would you reccomend to power these bad boys? Room size is 12x15x8 and I love my Jazz and Rock crisp, solid and LOUD!! I'm looking to step up from the R series because I want my music to sound as good as my home theatre!! MY budget is looking at $900 to $1400 for the oomph. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

like jimmy said: THERE'S SO MUCH CONFUSION
suds, suds and more suds!
Post edited by gshisme on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If I were going with a receiver and don't mind used, I'd check out the Carver C1000a. You can find them on ebay and audiogon for less than grand.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gshisme
    edited March 2003
    Options
    TroyD,

In regards to your question:
    It makes sense if you are bald and your head is up your ****.

By the way the Carver is one I didn't even think of. Thanks, will keep that one in mind.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2003
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It took me a minute....

It's 'only' 5.1, but a buddy of mine has one. Built like a tank and sounds great.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    http://www.adcom.com/newproducts/gfa7700.htm

This amp can easily drive reactive 4 ohm loads, and will check in around 250-260 x 5 into 4 ohms.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2003
    Options
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey Troy D,
    I was just reading reviews on the Carver, it is listed at 5 times 200watts but is also listed as DTS and Dolby 6.1. I am assuming that is with an accessory amp???? Which would make it upgradeable. I can't believe the price...Carver for about a grand...I'll take 2.
    Most of the reviews were extremely favorable, only one guy was sniveling about lack of vidio hook up options, what was your experience with the unit???
    Thanks Stuff.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't think Steve@3dai, and I can say this enough:

ARCAM, ARCAM, ARCAM!!!

don't be fooled by the low watts! the new DIVA line is BADASS!!

The Arcam receiver doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles for a reason, they put all the money into the sound! Check it out, you won't be dissapointed!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2003
    Options
    For the Lsi system you wanna build or building,the B&K avr507 is golden.It's a bit powerfull for your small size room ,but if you ever move into a bigger room ,your good.Not to mention that B&K if fully software and hardware upgradable..........ALLDAY.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I've heard the AVR507 paired up with the LSi line - very nice. Clean, neutral, detailed.

This 7.1 rig was LSi15, LSiC, LSif/x, and Lsi7's in the rear.

The B&K is rated at 185 into 4 ohms and it drove all seven LSi's right to Reference Level (00 Master Volume as calibrated with AVIA) without complaint or any audible stress.

The LSi's were paired with an SVS Ultra and the Samson S1000 amp. We recorded SPL peaks of 117 dB in the room.

What a system!

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gshisme
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey guys thanks so much for the input. Not looking for too many bells and whistles just Dolby 6.1, kick **** power and a turntable input would be nice. Not too concerned with video inputs since my widescreen has all that I need. I presently have a H/K AVR 320 and love the sound but the damn thing seems to Huff & Puff just driving the R series Polks. Arcam, Rotel, Carver, B&K...woooweee...hope I can find some in my area to listen to.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited March 2003
    Options
    doesn't the 320 have preamp outs?
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    B&K makes a real nice seperate preamp for Phono.....you should look into it.The owner and a couple of the engineers are Phono freaks.........good move there.

Hey Doc,
    thats basically going to be the same exact system as what I'm building.I'm sending in my B&K avr307 for the upgrade as soon as they give me the go........I'm also getting a new avr507 faceplate in silver..........O how I can't even wait.........stay tuned
    Dan
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    do you really think that the silver plate will blend nicely with the rest of your black gears? I agree that black is boring, but mix and match colors either going to be distracting or make them more elegant (for the wow factor)....I dunno
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,
    I don't think you seen the Silver in person..it's to die for.Something about the way it looks gets me all warm and fuzzy feeling.
    Your Idea with the 7's has inspired me to buy a ref 200.2 for the Lsi15's and use the 7's hung on the wall for the theater.....god the ideas...........endless.......but the ref200.0 will also be silver along with the Monster HTPS7000 and the AVS2000.My new HDTV dss receiver(Sony HD200) is also Silver.So the rack is getting more and more silver by the minute.even the rack(salamander) will have silver poles and black shelves.......Pioneer Elite should release some Silver face plates......that would murder it dead.......Man......but you know Pioneer 's finish doesn't match anything anyway.....it's what they do....they stand out all by themselves.
    If I hate it I can get another faceplate in black.AllDAY.
    Dan
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If it were me, I'd look for a used receiver or pre/pro that has pre-outs for all channels, then use 3 stereo amps. Soundcraftsman would be sweet.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gshisme
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ceru made a point about preamp outs. Me being the cluck that I can be didn't even give that a thought. I'm a newby at all this so there is my excuse. I have um for each channel up to 7.1. Still would like a Phono input though. Gonna check out some Amps and see what I come up with.
  • gshisme
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Well it appears my AVR 320 may become a preamp by using the preamp outs to connect to an OUTLAW amp. Seems to be the most affordable solution to my problem. Unfortunately I can't hear this setup before buying the OUTLAW but they have a 30 day return policy so what the hell. The B&K products sound like killers but I just don't have the bucks for their products.

Found some interesting items on Ebay but not to fond of used equipment.

EDIT: Ah, The H#ll with it. The Outlaw is just to ugly. I keep thinking about the responses on this thread and decided to break my budget. Receiver or Seperates I'm not sure but the names Arcam, B&K, NAD, Rotel, maybe Adcom and yes even Harman Kardon's new 7200 are being investigated. Would be interesting just finding some 2 channel amps on Ebay cheap and see what kind of sound I can get using the 320's preamp outs. Not all that sure about all the connection options but it will be fun learning. My new hobby and loving it.

By the way Soundcraftsman ???
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    noticed that you mentioned Sony SAT-HD200. Did you buy it already? if so, what's your opinion? I am on the fence on buying the HD receiver simply because there seems to be a lot of bugs in the new box crops. The latest I heard was the Sony unit might get pull back and replaced by a newer version. Don't know how accurate is that, nonetheless, it's out there...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    intresting.....I haven't heard that they are recalling......But no I haven't picked up one yeat.As soon as we are moved in the house,I'm going to start my massive shopping.......I'll let you know how I make out.
    Dan
  • dmamsa
    dmamsa Posts: 80
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,

I have been using the sony HD200 for about 3 months now. I upgraded from a mits sr400 hooked up to my plasma.

I found the Hd200 much better to use and its faster in channel switching had vga-dvi and component outs.

I havent encountered any bugs yet!
    Lsi9s front
    LsiC center
    artison surrounds and surround back
    Panny XP30 DVD player
    HD-DVD - Toshiba HD-A1
    B&K 507
    SVS CS Ultra (powered by samson 1000)
    Pioneer 503CMX plasma
    Panny PT-AE900U proector
    Lumagen HDQ video processor
    Monster HTS 5100
    Dish Network VIP211
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    dmamsa,
    did you have one with Jan 2003 build date? my understanding is any build prior to that has problems with unit does random rebooting, hence loosing the fav and channel settings. Did you experience this? thanks,
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Yo, getting back to the original thread subject, I'm going to be listening to the LSi series with the Rotel and B&K seperates this weekend. Have to travel a little bit but am looking forward to it!

Just looking for the amp for now to use with the H/K 320 preamp outs and worry about the preamp in the near future then relegate the H/K with the R series speakers to the living room. Gonna put the LSi's in what used to be the master bedroom which will now be my home theatre room (biggest room in my house) and move my bedroom to what used to be the home theatre room (den). Yea well I'm nuts, divorced and love music and movies.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to give me info on different components and setup options. I greatly appreciate it!!!!!!
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    gshisme,
    you're right, got carried on as usual! Happy listening. If I were you, I would audition Rotel rmb 1075, killer power amp! 120watts x 5..
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese,

Exactly what I had in mind. At 4 ohms it is listed at 200 x 5. I also want to listen to the B&K 6125. Transistor or MOSFET??? Guess I will find out over the weekend.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    gshisme,
    If I am not mistaken, 6125 has been discontinued, replacement is the av125.5/7 if you have access to the older series, it would be a great deal (hopefully!)
  • gshisme
    edited April 2003
    Options
    They told me they had one that I could audition. So perhaps I could get a deal on it. Will inquire about the 125.5/7 however. Thanks!! Will check out there web for more info on the 125.