Jeep Subs

sportychic0605
sportychic0605 Posts: 10
edited April 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Ok, so i want to get a speaker with some bass in my 94 Jeep Wrangler and i just want to know what the best speaker would be? I don't want something too expensive so maybe something $300...please help!!! Thanks!
Post edited by sportychic0605 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2008
    Um, got any more info? Jeeps are tight and I've done some crazy stuff in Jeeps from a pair of 15 inch woofers in a box mounted on the tailgate to shoe-horning about 1200 watts of power and 10 speakers into a Jeep without losing a ton of space but still hiding it all.

But are you looking to make other people's ears bleed at stop lights or do you just want something that will kick hard over the copious amounts of road noise? Is $300 your total budget? Like I said, a little more info would be spectacular!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Yo John, you should put up those pictures of that install you did for your buddies Jeep 3 or 4 years ago. I pulled it up on the search but the links for the pictures are all dead now. That would be a good example of what can be done with a Jeep.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sportychic0605
    edited March 2008
    Yea i'm looking for something loud and that will make everybody's ears bleed lol....but i don't know what my budget is as of right now. I'm saving up for this but right now i only have $300. I just need to know what would be good to put behind the rear seat of my jeep....I already have the sound bar in my jeep and that doesn't do anything for me! Is that what u needed or u need more info? Thanks!
  • sportychic0605
    edited March 2008
    but i just realized is there something that will make ppls ears bleed at red lights and sound good over the road noise?
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    So you have $300 to spend and want a sub that will fit in a Jeep and play loud enough to be heard over the road noise.

What speakers are in the sound bar? Are they stock or after market? Do you have an after market head unit or is it the stock radio?

Grab this box so it will fit easily enough in your Jeep:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=178650&i=044T6510SS&tp=554

Grab this Polk Audio db1040dvc subwoofer:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=520&i=107DB1040D&tp=111

Grab this amplifier:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=489AP1000&tp=115

The amp is a little more power than you need but it's clean power and only about 25 more watts per voice coil than your sub is rated for but it shouldn't be a big deal. You'll need a wiring kit and maybe some speaker wire but that should be about $300 even. Maybe like 5 or 6 bucks more. But that will kick pretty well and shouldn't eat up all your space.

And I did get your email, I just got home too late last night to do anything about it yet.

• Jstas
    edited March 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Yo John, you should put up those pictures of that install you did for your buddies Jeep 3 or 4 years ago. I pulled it up on the search but the links for the pictures are all dead now. That would be a good example of what can be done with a Jeep.

I gotta find the pictures and put them back up somewhere if I'm going to do that. I forget where I had them hosted.

• sportychic0605
    edited March 2008
    I really don't know what kind of speakers are in the sound bar but i know they arent stock because i bought it from someone who installed it himself....but if i get those things u said is there anyway to put them in my jeep where no 1 can just break in a take them? Thanks a lot for all ur help!
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Yessiree Bob there is! Sorry I almost missed your post. I had to dig for this because that **** strang22 is flooding the forums trying to up his post count to sell something.

What you should do is quite simple. Make sure you don't have anything vital under the floor to do this.

What I did was I did all my wiring in the box and mounted the box in the Jeep by **** sheet metal screws through the bottom of the box and into the floor of the Jeep. I put 4 in for each 8 inch sub box. You might want to use more or less. You could also drill holes, put bolts through and seal the washers so you get no leaks. Then wire up your sub and mount it in the box. the screws are hidden and nobody will be able to just reach in, snatch and grab either.

For the amplifier, I'd mount a board to the bottom of the back seat and mount the am to that board under the seat. That way it's out of sight and very difficult to get to.

I have no idea where you live but if you were close, I could do this install in about a half hour to an hour depending on how difficult the wiring was gonna be.

• sportychic0605
    edited March 2008
    Yea i wish i lived close so u could do it but i live in South Carolina....but thanks for everything, you have been so much help!
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    I was looking for the photos of the install last night but was so beat from rebuilding a front suspension that I just crashed.

I will find the photos and post them up again to show you what I'm talking about with mounting the screws through the bottom of the inside of the box.

• sportychic0605
    edited March 2008
    Ok sounds great....thanks so much!
  • sportychic0605
    edited March 2008
    do u have those pictures? I just need to c how i should put the box and amp in my jeep....thanks again.
  • Jstas
    edited April 2008
    Here is the original thread with the photo links fixed.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21734&highlight=Jeep

If you have any more questions, let me know.