SUB LFE input

amadeus
amadeus Posts: 5
I have a Sony STR-DA2ES and am committed (friend owns dealership) to a PSW-202. The Sony receiver has a screen thing that comes up LFE but the PSW-202 does not have a built in LFE.

You have to forgive me - I am quite new at all this new technology.

My question is this - should I keep the PSW-202 or should I get a sub that has a built in LFE?

Thanks for your help.

phil
Post edited by amadeus on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    What speakers are you using for your mains (l/r)?

I ask because you can use the line level input for your LFE out, or speaker level inputs with your mains set to large.

More importantly, how does it sound to you? Have you put it through it's paces yet?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2003
    I have the same receiver and sub, but I don't quite understand your question.

You mean it doesnt have unfiltered line inputs? That's right they are filtered line inputs.

I use the Auto Dec, for normal stereo listening, that way it senses my sub being hooked up. I use one of the subwoofer pre-outs to a mono sub cable(RCA Type - 18ft) then to a splitter RCA into the L/R inputs on the sub.

Your sub is fine for LFE, thats its purpose. I set my speakers to "small" and my sub to "on". Let me know if this has helped you. I am sure we can get you squared away.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • amadeus
    edited April 2003
    Wow! Great help and great response so quick.....

I am using the RM6700 setup.

Basically - I should ask which is the proper way to setup the sub - and since I have LFE on the amp should I use a sub that has LFE as well? Or heck, maybe I already have LFE on the PSW-202.

Like I said before, I'm very new to this - haven't bought a stereo or speakers for almost 15 years. Ouch....

Thanks for any help, advice.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    The PSW-202 uses filtered LFE inputs, you have no choice. The STR-DA2ES uses a filtered LFE output, again no choice. The default low pass filter on the Sony is 120hz(STD). You can adjust this up or down, the max up is 200 hz.

Check this link out, its from here.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=bassmanage

I turn my subs filter all the way up, and use the default, 120hz filter from the Sony to run my sub pre-out. I do this because this sounds best in my room, you will have to find what works best for you by experimentation.

I would use the sub pre-out and wire all your speakers to the receiver. I say this because I find it a pain in the neck to run all those wires to your sub. Thats just personal.

Read that article, it is quite useful, and should clear up anything that I have not mentioned. Feel free to post again with questions the forum is very helpful.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    If you will be using this sub for a low level input from the sub jack on your AVR, and you will be doing all you bass management at the receiver, then set the filter control on the 202 to its highest setting and it will be be fine.

I think what you are asking is does the 202 have an LFE input that bypasses the internal filter control and the answer is no. So doing the above is the next best thing.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited April 2003
    Do you ever have one of those "lightbulb" moments? I was having similar questions with my DA1ES. Was bummed that I had no sub when listening to 2 channel. Just pushed the little "Auto Decode" button while listening to a CD (thanks dorokusai) and VOILA! I GOT SUBBAGE!!!
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    :) I am glad that that helped you Ken. That's funny, but I mean no disrespect, its just amusing.

I had similar issues when first setting up all this equipment up, so I have a bunch of trial and error things like what happened to you also... ;)

Amadeus - Keep us updated as to your progress.

Ken - Let me know if you have any other questions, since we have a very similar Receiver, I will try and help.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited April 2003
    Dorokusai-
    I'm sure I will have more questions as time progresses. I'm holding off on calibration issues until I upgrade my surrounds and possibly my sub. All of the distance / height / level stuff is kind of confusing.
    All I can say is my windows are shaking right now to some Great White (even with a cheapo sub)
    Thanks again!!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by ken brydson
    Dorokusai-
    I'm sure I will have more questions as time progresses. I'm holding off on calibration issues until I upgrade my surrounds and possibly my sub. All of the distance / height / level stuff is kind of confusing.
    All I can say is my windows are shaking right now to some Great White (even with a cheapo sub)
    Thanks again!!

ken,

calibration can improve the sound quality of any speaker.. whether they are ideal or not.... proper levels help even out the front three as well as the front to rear soundstage.. and sub level too. good luck,Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • amadeus
    edited April 2003
    You guys are great and I'm sure you answered my question somewhere - but I am still confused.

Here is a shorter version of my question:

Since I have the SONY STR-DA2ES amp with LFE output (has a thing on the display that shows up at times), should I make sure I get a sub with (Unfiltered LFE input for use with low pass filtered subwoofer output jacks- as Polk puts it)?

Thanks
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    If unfiltered LFE inputs are what you want then just buy it. Your receiver can handle the LFE filter point(80hz-normally) issue internally.

Any sub will work for your intended purpose.
  • amadeus
    edited April 2003
    Here is something I found on a Dolby website:

"Actually, LFE and a subwoofer are two very different things. Typically, the term subwoofer refers to a speaker that reproduces very low-frequency information that the main channel speakers (however many there are) are incapable of reproducing. Low-frequency sounds that are normally found on the main audio channels are directed to the subwoofer speaker for added punch in the low range. In this fashion, a subwoofer acts as a complement to extend the range of the main speakers, which may find it difficult, if not impossible, to reproduce these low frequencies. The LFE channel on Dolby Digital soudntracks is specifically produced with low-frequency information exclusive to it. Content producers create emphatic sound effects for it, such as explosions, crashes, gunshots, and such. In a consumer playback environment, often low-frequency information from the main channels is redirected to the subwoofer speaker and added to the existing LFE channel, if any. If there is no LFE channel present in the Dolby Digital stream, the subwoofer speaker contains the low frequencies redirected from the main speakers."

From this, it sounds like in order to receive the true LFE produced by Dolby Digital, I need a sub that has a LFE input - which the PSW202 does not have.

Any thoughts or opinions?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2003
    LFE - low frequency effects - Special low-frequency (bass range) special effects which are transmitted in a partial channel (the ".1" of "5.1") and used to drive the subwoofer of a surround-sound speaker system.

LFE is not a thing (like a subwoofer) it is a signal that is reproduced by the subwoofer. The subwoofer will produce what is sent to it. It does not need a "SPECIAL" LFE jack to reproduce LFE. Dr. Spec. gave you the solution early on in this thread. Run your cable from the LFE jack on the receiver and connect it to either one of the line level inputs on the sub (or use a "Y" splitter and connect to both) and set the filter to its highest level. LFE is only going to be below a certain range anyway and this will let the sub produce ALL of the LFE information that is sent to it. The only part of the LFE that the PSW202 will not reproduce is what is beyond it's capabilities based on design.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • amadeus
    edited April 2003
    Wow....buying one of those $199 Magnavox setups from the Best Buy weekly circular would have been so much easier! ha ha

Thanks for everyones responses and comments - hope others have learned as well.

phil
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    Shack - TY TY TY. I was going a little bonkers here. Nice pic also. :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    The "LFE" line level connection on Polk subs is actually a bit of a misnomer and confusing to a newbie. It has nothing to do with the ".1" LFE channel found on 5.1 and 6.1 DVDs.

The "LFE" input on Polk subs bypasses the sub filter - that's it. Period.

Polk should either provide a filter disable switch like the rest of the world, or simply label this input "Unfiltered" and be done with it.

If you are sending the subwoofer the "0.1" LFE channel, and the low passed bass from the surround speakers, then the signal to the sub has ALREADY been filtered by the receiver, and you don't wan't the sub to filter it again. That is why you want to use the input that bypasses the sub's filter.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    This whole thread is just us telling him the same thing, and there was still confusion for Amadeus. I wish you luck.