Ban all 18 wheelers (road rants)

2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    SUV's are a status thing. Nothing more. They people that pay these exorbitant prices, well, that is their business. If you want to move people, buy a minivan or a wagon. If you want to go offroad or haul stuff buy a truck. You can't convince me that any sane person that pays 35 grand or better for a vehicle would even consider taking an investment like that off road.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    What it's all about to me is driving. I love to drive. SUV's and minivans, those are transportation, nothing more. They make some wicked-**** wagons these days that are fun to drive and easily outperform most vehicles on the road. For me, a wagon is the perfect solution.

Aaron
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited November 2001
    I haven't ruled out a wagon by any means. For me though the first thing is transportation and utility. If it's fun to drive, that's gravy.

One way or another I'll always need one vehicle with 4WD capability for surf fishing (i.e. genuine utility for sport). And a 2-seat pickup truck doesn't necessarily fit the bill because sometimes the fishing trips are part of a general family beach outing. I know the "king cab" pickups can handle carry ~5 people now but if we start getting up into the price range of an SUV, I'm not sure the pickup has much of an edge.
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    I'm with you Aaron, I love to drive. Heck, I drive 110miles each day to and from work. I am provided with a F-150 by my Co. so I have no expense there which is very nice.
    Your van is the same build quality as a Camry? We're talking driving here, buddy! Minivans have so much body roll it isn't even funny.

If you look at the dimentions, they are nearly identical. The Sienna is 10" higher, weights in at about 600lbs more, is 5" longer and is only 3.4" wider over the Camry. Both drive nearly the same, we test drove both. The Sienna is a bit slower off the line due to the weight, both handle the same, unless you plan on hauling-**** around a turn. So, my point was, driving has very little to do with the type of vehicle, but rather the driver. Body roll is not as big a factor as you think. Test drive them and you will see.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    One way or another I'll always need one vehicle with 4WD capability for surf fishing (i.e. genuine utility for sport).
    There are a plethora of AWD wagons....

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    You're making me cry over here. :(

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    :confused:

If...
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    I'm just busting on ya. However, you're never going to convince me at a Toyota Sienna, or any other minivan for that matter, is a driver's vehicle. No vehicle with an automatic transmission is a driver's vehicle. Comparing it to a Camry isn't going to convince me either. Driving has EVERYTHING to do with the type of vehicle. The vehicle you drive dictates the driving style, for the most part.

Aaron
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited November 2001
    not sure the AWD wagons would have the clearance I'd need on the beach. In fact, not sure the regs for the local beach permit allow AWD.

I'm with ya on manual trannies though ... not just because you're "really" driving when you use one, but because I feel they give me a little more control in potentially sticky situations on the sand.
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Yes, in your situation a 4-runner is probably ideal. I am talking about the dude that lives in suburbia that plunks down 35K on an Expedition (4WD) to go back and forth to the grocery store...

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Yeah, clearance might be an issue. There are a few high-clearance wagons like the Audi Allroad and Volvo Cross Country, but both of those are rather pricey, especially the Audi with its cool push-button suspension. Regarding the manual transmission, I've found it to be particularly helpful in the snow too.

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Too continue the rant.

I swear the next time I see a motorcycle coming up behind me and white-lineing it between me and the car next to me, I'm gonna open my door to spit. WACK, the effer is dead on the road and I cannot even get a ticket.

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    LOL!

One time I was driving to work up the expressway here in Baltimore, and these two gearhead ricerockets whizzed by my car, weaving in and out of traffic like ****, startling drivers, and on up around a curve in the road.

I thought, "You idiots. Hope you slide." (Terrible, I know, cyclists, but you gotta understand...)

Came up around the corner and sure-nuff there they were all crashed up against the median wall where they had both slid and collided with each other in all their hype to show off how cool they were on the freeway. They were both okay it appeared (running across lanes of traffic to, aw shucks, comfort each other), but I was LAUGHING all the way to work that day.

I don't know what it is, but I get off on the misfortune of others, especially others who deserve it.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Came up around the corner and sure-nuff there they were all crashed up against the median wall where they had both slid and collided with each other in all their hype to show off how cool they were on the freeway.
    Sweet Justice
    They were both okay it appeared
    Bummer

If...
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2001
    i hate those crotchrockets too. my dad has a Harley Fat Boy and that is a real motorcycle. he and all his buddies blame those guys for giving motorcyclists a bad name (on driving, not the whole hell's angel image). i rode 7000 miles with him 2 summers ago to the Harley rally in Sturgis, SD and most of the bikers were excellent drivers, with the exception of the kids on crotch rockets going 120mph, popping wheelies, and weaving between cars in stop and go trafic.
    check out the pic(s) below. his bike is the first one on the left with all the stuff on it. i'm in the background with the black shirt. this pic is from right outside the gates of Glacier National Park in Montana.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2001
    here is what his bike looks like without all the crap on it.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    I agree that the Harley guys are good riders, for the most part. We just need to supply them with mufflers.

If...