Ban all 18 wheelers (road rants)

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
That's right. Get these friggen oversized road elephants off the streets and freeways during daylight hours.

If you drive a big rig you should only be allowed to drive at night. NOT during the day. Because all you do is cause traffic problems.

There big, they stink, you cannot see around'em, there slow, usually the guy driving weights as much as his trailer and they do not know how to drive (who taught these people?).

And to add, if you are found at fault in a traffic accident. You should have your licence taken away for 10 years. A second offense will result in public transportation for the rest of your natural born life. I have never, ever caused an accident. Why, because I am a good driver.

95% of the worlds population lack one thing.....common sense.

Peace Out~:D

there, how's that for something interesting?
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited November 2001
    i agree... those damn things should only be driven at night, not rush hour.

joe :D
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Minivans, too. Ban them.

Give them their own lane.

Separate lanes for old people who can't see over their dash boards, too. And for people who insist on piling stuffed animals on their car's rear deck. And for people who simply MUST make phone calls in their car. You all get your own lane; you can drive as shittily as you want.

Jail cells and fines for people who don't use their blinkers.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    I drive my mini-van faster than most sports cars. I pass them all the time.

If you own a sports car you should not be getting passed by me.

Use the gas you wimps.

If...
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Just wait until all you single people have a family, then we shall see about the mini-van hatred.

Besides it's not the van.....it's the driver.............PERIOD!

If...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    as dorky as some of them look, they are pretty damn cool if you need to haul kids or mothers in law and the associated paraphenalia.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    i wish people had to retake their driver's test when they are 65 too! there are some drivers out there, inches from the grave, risking lives out there!!!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    Minivans are the bane of our society! Do you know why? Because 99.9% of the people who drive them are clueless women! And who the hell needs a minivan anyway? Get a damn station wagon! They're SO much better! I, and my future family (if I'm lucky), will never own a minivan! Period.

Aaron
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Who makes station wagons anymore, tho? Volvo?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Actually Aaron you need to take out mini-van and insert SUV into your post.

Stationwagons, hollyshit. Lets go back to the 70's shall we.

My Sienna is the exact same build as a Camery. Other than the shell they are the exact same vehicle, shall we ban all those too?

If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    not that i'm a fan of it or anything, but bmw's got a new wagon. maybe there making a come back??? my choice would be a SUV over a soccer-mom mobile. but kids are a long way off into my future...
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    let me put it this way. If you have to cart your 300lb mother in law and your 6'5" 310lb brother in law (and enough rations to sustain them for 5 hrs) along with your wife from Charleston to Atlanta, a minivan is the only way to go. Uncool? most definately. Practical? You betcha.

Added bonus, getting them out is a cinch. Open side door, toss a couple of twinkies on the ground, place one or both feet somewhere in the center of the large, fleshy mass and push. Great fun to watch 'em roll out.

Troy
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    I'd love to land a Ford Excursion, but when reality hits. You gotta go with what you can fit into the budget. SUVs are just too expensive. After all my daughters college fund is more important than the car I drive around in.

If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    you replacing the struts on that thing often???:D
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    You hit the nail on the head Troy.

Mini-vans are the most user-friendly vehicle out there. ****-man I can remove my 4 captains chairs in the back and slide a 4x8 sheet of plywood in.

Cars are too small......SUVs are too expensive.......the mini-van is the way to go, for the family, of couse.

If...
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Oops
    If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    i changed it to troy. little typo!
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Ron,
    I hate SUV's too! You can make a case for an SUV or minivan in some cases, but the vast majority of cases would be better suited by a wagon. Your van is the same build quality as a Camry? We're talking driving here, buddy! Minivans have so much body roll it isn't even funny. FYI - station wagons hip now.

Micah,
    Cool wagons:
    - Audi A4 and A6 (and S varieties of course)
    - BMW 3 and 5 series
    - Subaru WRX

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Actually, the van belongs to my mother in law. Wendi and I have no kids yet so the need for one hasn't arisen. I have a Dodge pickup and my wife has an Infinity.

Another added bonus, minivas are great party wagons. On the weekends, the guy I got the RT7's from and his wife, Wendi and I and another couple use that as the bar-hopping mobile....And it has these cool cupholders friggin everywhere!

Troy
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2001
    it sounds like ron-p is one of the few good mini-van drivers out there. every time i make a road trip, i get stuck behind a damn mini-van going 60 in the left lane on the interstate cruising side by side with the car in the right lane. all people who drive in the left lane (exept when passing, obviously) should be beaten and forced to ride the bus for the rest of their lives.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2001
    HA! What a great picture. I wonder if it's an actual picture or just photoshopped?

~JB
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    I wonder if it's an actual picture or just photoshopped?

It doesn't matter.....it's the thought that counts.

If...
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2001
    as far as i know, it's an actual pic. it was taken in Lafayette, LA, about 2 hours West of where i live.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited November 2001
    yeah, I used to think minivans were pure evil ... but as others have noted, when you've got kids and in-laws etc, there are practical considerations. So as my 4Runner starts getting up there in mileage and the old and no longer practical Nissan 4WD pickup has hopelessly failed inspection, I've started looking at alternatives. You might agree with me that the DVD system built into the Honda Odyssey has a certain appeal (although it does seem to add at least $2500 to the pricetag, from what checking I've done):

From http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Gallery/Honda/Odyssey/3.asp:

merismus\Gallery\c440169a.jpg

and from http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/october/200110_preview_hondaodyssey.xml?&page=2 :

2002 Honda Odyssey

Page 2 of 2

To keep the rug rats quiet back there without threats being made to pull over, there's Honda's
    new DVD-based entertainment system, on which middle- and rear-row passengers can
    watch videos on a seven-inch screen that flips down from the ceiling while listening to the
    soundtrack on infrared wireless headphones; the passengers up front can listen to
    something else. Additional input jacks allow the use of video games, alternative audio
    sources (CD or cassette), or even video camera playback.

The DVD system can be adjusted from the front audio switchgear, from the rear-seat controls
    near the LCD screen, or by wireless remote. Two wireless headsets are provided as
    standard equipment with the DVD system. As part of the general audio upgrade, the
    Odyssey's rear speakers have been increased in size for better sound quality.

From the outside, the 2002 Odyssey is recognizable by a new two-bar grille and a larger "H"
    badge. The EX gets new alloy wheels and wheel covers, and of course, there are those
    amber rear turn signals on both models. Overall, the Odyssey is the same as it was, only
    better.

As minivans go, that's as good as it gets.
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    you sell these things for a living???:D

that built in DVD player IS pretty ****, but i'd still go SUV and custom install one yourself for the $2500!!! you might even have enough left over to install some polk momo's in their somewhere....

i don't know, just can't feel any love for those minivans
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    An SUV is nothing more than a glorified mini-van. That's it.

Sure, SUVs are bigger and higher (well some are) but so is the price tag. Other than size there is no difference, same basic body style, maybe a bit more rugged looking, most are 2wd, most are driven by women going to the grocery store with a load of kids.

An SUV is the mini-van of the new century. Most are no where ready to see dirt or off-road conditions. Pavement pounding mini-vans.

I don't understand why people cannot see this. It will take time but you guys will eventually see the light.

If...
  • jimi64
    jimi64 Posts: 85
    edited November 2001
    Just when I thought I would get into this forum I read something from people that makes ones initial opinion go out the window.Obviousely,uneducated rants and ravings.I did learn something today though.Mini-vans are looked upon by drunks as a great way to drive around while drinking and driving.Also,I suppose it makes those, who live elbow to elbow with thier neighbors and postage stamp houses and land,feel comfortable going down the road in the same conditions.I prefer the (buy the right tool for the right job approach myself) even if that entails multiple tools.Anyways,first post last post adios.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    I guess I missed this one yesterday....

For the record, though, We ALWAYS have a designated driver, without exception. Thank You. I don't live in Southern California, I live in South Carolina. My occupation dictates where I live.

While I certainly would be the last person who would want to offend anyone, I personally don't see what is so offensive about a group of buds BS'ing.

But this is what REALLY irks me, it's like people that don't vote, if you don't participate, you have no room to complain about what goes on. If you want things to go in a different direction than PARTICIPATE, by all means, we are a pretty amiable bunch. We will go along with about anything as long as it is in good spirit.

Troy
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    well stated troy. i love that i can hate cell phones, minivans, smoking chicks, etc, etc. and rant and rave about it on here all in good fun
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited November 2001
    didn't mean for that to come off like an ad. Just trying to provide info -- an old weakness of mine. I've been doing a bit of homework lately as I've started conditioning myself to the fact that sooner or later (though probably not for another couple years, as it happens) I too will be driving a minivan -- not by any means because I "love" 'em but purely because it may well wind up being what best gets the job done in the circumstances I'm in.

(and yeah, it occurred to me that for $2,500 I could probably install my own custom a/v system, including better speakers ... or get one of those portable systems. That's the "new tech premium" for ya I guess.)

My feeling toward my 4Runner, if not "love," at least is not the revulsion I've long held toward minivans. But here too the key is it does what I need it to do -- ample room for my family at its current size, greater safety/accessibility on wet/snowy roads, and, most importantly, 4wd to get me and the family onto the nearby beach for surf fishing.

What I DON'T understand is people who buy 4WD SUVs, especially the bigger monsters, with no intention whatsoever of using them off-road. For a lot less money you can get the on-road rain/snow handling with front-wheel drive (I did love my old 1980 VW Rabbit, which could go uphill in a foot of unplowed snow). And 2WD SUVs are completely beside the point. If I may borrow from a subtheme in the "smoking hotties" thread, I think a lot of people got brainwashed by advertising on how "cool" SUVs are. And by and large SUVs also are gas-guzzlers, which I don't think is a good thing for the earth nor as a practical matter for the current world geopolitical situation. My 4Runner gets ~21 mpg, which ain't great but not terrible either, and since I actually do use it off-road, a LOT, I feel it's justified. But if the automakers would stop hiding behind the "it's a truck" regs they could make them more fuel-efficient, which would be A Good Thing.
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • Aaron
    edited November 2001
    Ever considered a wagon? I just don't get this whole SUV business. A wagon can do everything better than an SUV (except maybe off-roading), yet everyone is horny over these six ton, gas guzzling behemoths. *sigh*

Aaron