Terk Antenna

Options
dbournival
dbournival Posts: 131
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Does anyone have experience with Trek radio antennas? I'm thinking of getting a Terk "Pi" (or another if someone has a reccomendation), does it really work better than the regular "Y" antennas that come with the receivers?
Post edited by dbournival on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Absolutely not. I hold terk in the same status as bose - all hype. Your reception will probably be worse with the terk, trust me - I've had one and returned it the next week. If you want truly drastic improvements in reception then the only way to do it is with a real outdoor antenna. If you want a little better than the wire dipole (the Y shaped thing that came with your receiver), then try regular tv rabbit ears. Sorry to be so harsh, but that's just the way it is.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    where would you get a real raido antena to mount on your outside? i have my ht in the basement and i never listen to the raido caues i cant get any good chanels without stadic.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have two Terk Model AF-1 (AM-FM Q Series) powered antennas. At my house, the improvement in reception was highly dependent on where the antenna was placed. In most locations in my home, with the exception of my home theater system, the reception with the Terk was no better than using a simple dipole antenna. In no cases did I get worse reception using the Terk.

At work, the Terk performs significantly better than a wire dipole antenna.

Circuit City carries several Terk models. You can always return it if it doesn't work for you.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    where would you get a real raido antena to mount on your outside? i have my ht in the basement and i never listen to the raido caues i cant get any good chanels without stadic.

http://www.fanfare.com/fm-2g-buy.html I don't have one, but I've seen several good reviews.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Not that I have used the product or anything, but looking at the stats, the fact that the manufacturer comes out and says that the gain over dipole antennas is zero, thats kinda troubling, dont you think?
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Well, I know a bit about antennas but not terribly much, so if I say something wrong then corrections are welcome - From what I understand, since it's vertically polarized, it largely ignores the horizontally polarized multipath. I don't think it's an issue of gain, more of ignoring multipath when it comes to clearer reception. I'd imagine that an omni antenna would be good for an area with a lot of close stations and you just have multipath problems, but if the stations are further away or closer to eachother (geographically or on the dial) then a directional would be better (along with a better tuner).
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Just bought a Pi Terk at BestBuy today. Had a 10% coupon. Think I'm going to return it this weekend. I was hoping I would get better reception but I haven't had any luck. I have an older style Terk Edge antenna that works just as good. Definately not worth the $56 i paid for it.

Ironically sometimes I've gotten the best reception with the orginal antenna that comes with the receiver or some old speaker wire that split down one end about half way then splice the split ends together and fold them down toward the end of the split forming a pair of rabbit ears. Just terminate the end with a 300 ohm - 75 ohm adapter and poof.....
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just keep the dipole antenna and not waste the $.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2003
    Options
    best and cheapest to make your own, is get 25' or 50' lamp zip cord connect a fm plug in on one end run the other end out the window up the side of the house and split the end into two 5' to 6' single wires and tack the ends horizonal along the edge of of the overhang of your house like a( t )shape and thats your antennas, and it will be a good one , the placement is the only way to improve.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • TonyPTX
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Joe,

Granted this is the cheapest and possibly the most effective way to get a good signal, it is NOT the safest way to do it. You've completely ignored proper grounding procedures which (although not likely) can cause serious problems for some folks here.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Guys I keep telling everyone this, have had people on this site have good luck with it. Get the cheap RCA antenna I don't know the technical term for it, it is the one with the loop in the middle. I believe it is marketed as a TV and FM antenna. I have seen it anywhere from $15 to $23. It will give you a substantial improvement over the Terk crap. You can even hide this thing behind your entertainment center with a little extra tweeking. I believe Best Buys, Wal Mart or Target all carry it.
    Good Luck, Happy Stereo , Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TonyPTX
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by STUFFMD
    Get the cheap RCA antenna I don't know the technical term for it, it is the one with the loop in the middle. I believe it is marketed as a TV and FM antenna.

Are you referring to the plain ole "rabbit ears" style TV antennas?:confused:
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yes it has the "Rabbit Ears" great use of technical lingo such as myself.....but it has an added loop in between the antennas that also tilts and rotates somewhat, that's the part that seems to make a significant difference.
    Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TonyPTX
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by STUFFMD
    Yes it has the "Rabbit Ears" great use of technical lingo such as myself.....but it has an added loop in between the antennas that also tilts and rotates somewhat, that's the part that seems to make a significant difference.
    Stuff

If I remember right, the rabbit ears were for VHF broadcasts and the rotating loop was for UHF broadcasts and there was a rotating dial once could spin to increase the "gain"? Both both antenna's had different leads on the back. How did you hook it up? The rabbits for FM and the loop for AM?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I have a Terk antenna at work for one real reason and that is space. A huge dipole antenna is intrusive and picks up interference from the computer systems. The Terk antenna isn't as affected as a normal antenna by the interference and it seems to pick up AM stations with very few problems. As far as cost goes, you can get the Terk antennas for very cheap at etronics.com and other online retailers. My Terk was 55 dollars at Circuit City and I only paid 30 for it online.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!