alphine?

NatasCore
NatasCore Posts: 9
edited April 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i don't see anyone talking about alphine amps!! anyone have an opinion on them?
Post edited by NatasCore on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    maybe its just me... but i dont get it... lololol.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • NatasCore
    edited March 2003
    yes i mean alpine whats ur opinion on them
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2003
    Alpine use to make very good amplifiers. The V12 was an object of lust at one point in time. However, since Alpine is no longer owned by Alpine (I can't remember who bought them out) they haven't put out stuff of the same caliber. They are still good amps and such but they are a middle of the road mid-scale amp. They are still ok amps but they really are a tad over-priced. Seems like the ne owners are trying to cash in on the Alpine name.

So they wouldn't be a waste of money but I think you could find a better deal else where. Alot of companies are going this way though. Orion is another one. They were bought out by a Japanese company because the original American (I believe it was an American company) closed up shop and put the bidness up fo sale. Now they are a mere shell of thier past glory. Orion was unarguably the best at boom with the name Orion occuring with great frequency in the very highest of the IASCA ranks. Now they are still a higher end company but they are not the best anymore.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
    They SUCK! Just kiddin. heh

Alpine is one of the better brands that you can get in the local chain stores like circuit city and best buy. I like their headunits. :)

Alpine is good stuff. There are better out there, but there are also much much worse.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by phuz
    They SUCK! Just kiddin. heh

Alpine is one of the better brands that you can get in the local chain stores like circuit city and best buy. I like their headunits. :)

Alpine is good stuff. There are better out there, but there are also much much worse.

I don't think anyone will disagree. The head units are very nice too but the are expensive. For teh current Alpine equipment though, I can go with Clarion units for the same price, maybe get a few less features but have a much much cleaner signal source. I guess its just my experience talking but Alpine would not be my first choice right now. If it was like 1995 then yeah, Alpine all the way, there wasn't much better out there. But modern Alpine just doesn't measure up to thier old stuff.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    i agree i will not pay the price for a current model alpine amp... a 1507 -- i'll sell my first child... well maybe not -- but maybemy 2nd...

far as heads go though -- i swear by alpine and pioneer... and will continue to, until somebody makes somethingbetter for the same price or some of the better companies drop prices.
  • NatasCore
    edited March 2003
    i just put a alpine 4 chanel amp running my 6.5 polks. and another alpine 1 channel amp to my gnx104,i might have bought a diffrent amp if i had heard this sooner, lol
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    You didn't make a bad purchase. The Alpine stuff is still very capable stuff for the money. However, those of us who have experienced past Alpine glory can see how the new stuff doesn't measure up.

There is nothing wrong with your purchase. If this is your first car stereo then I would say you have done very well for yourself. Hell, I started out with Profile California series stuff. I could only wish I had Alpine stuff when I got into this.

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    i started out even worse...deck power off my stock GM radio going to my stock GM speakers OUCH
    -Cody
  • Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited March 2003
    Alpine and Pioneer Vinnie? I guess to each his own. I personally perfer the new Kenwood eXcelon series head units. Their display may not be as fancy but their features are awsome and for a reasonable price. I am currently running a Kenwood KCD-X659 and I love the deck. I have had it for about a year and it is just awesome. I'll buy an eXcelon head unit anyday.
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    i had two kenwood's as my first head's -- i only ended up with the alpine because i added another amp (had a 4 ch - then added a mono class d) and one preamp output of 1.8 volts wasn't cutting it, i had all kinds of line noise and it would not get loud, so at the time i was like braindead lemming kinda guy listening to everything the circuit city guys told me. and the only deck they had in stock that was dual 4 volt outs was the alpine 7863, which at the time, was newer than new and everybody looked at me like i was jesus come down from heaven cuz i bought this head.

anywho -- long story short -- i never got rid of it -- 4 yrs later i'm using the same head unit -- sort of -- the original is in my girl's car and I got another one off ebay for like 150 bucks and got the silver face for it instead of the black.

quite honestly, i haven't used that many deck's, and i'm far from really knowing anything much about them anymore. general knowledge yes, but i haven't shopped for a deck in at least 3 - 4 years so i really have no clue about which models are better than others.

i just really like the CDA 9815 because its the 1st charcoal alpine since Caesar was stabbed in the back... looks sweet, has a great color scheme, and has the same features I currently have (minus XM generation II compatibility)... wondering what gen 1 / gen 2 is? 99.99999999999999% of the XM units u see today are all gen 2 -- the first 2 months of XM they were built compatible to the old AI-net port on the alpine decks. then they added some other protocol almost immediately and alpine deck's had to be mfg'd has "xm ready" or else it wouldn't work.

that's half the rearson I got sirius instead - no commercials, more channels, its got a cool dog on the modulator / receiver, and it was way cheaper to get the adaptation gear. something like half of an XM modulation kit from a decent mfg. -- technically i can do "true" xm through my deck w/ out a modulator -- i'd have to split the AI net cable, the deck would recognize it as a changer jammed on disc one / track 1, and then i'd use the modulator unit to control the receiver, but all of the signal would flow through the ai-net input so as to avoid the ills of modulation. anybody think i'm taking that much time / effort? nope.

i'm keepin my little dog --- "woof woof" he goes.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2003
    As far as i remember Polk uses Alpine on their car setups, or at least that's what i was told by a Polk employee last year at this forum, so they are not bad, now the new D class line for subs looks damm good on specs, but i have not yet heard one, one thing i can tell you they are better than a Sony explode series, i had one and returned it and you wont believe this, i got a Profile and it sounded better, of for the head units i've had 2 alpine one Blaupunkt, a couple of crako or whatever they are called, but i will definitivelly an alpine head unit next time i need to replace my actual head unit, with the 2 alpine HU i spent the las 15 years of my life, they last and last sounding good

Hope this helps
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited April 2003
    ill keep my stock radio before i put a sony in
    -Cody