Anthem Pre's/power

SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited March 2003 in Electronics
I have finally had my first live meeting with the ANTHEM products....they look pretty nice.....very solid built ....the front face seem pretty thick as I used my nuckles to make a tap(metal) and the volume dial seems very smooth as I turned it. But the sad part was I didnot not get a chance to listen to them because the sales guy was busy talking to another customer for a long period of time and I wasn't going to wait around and also I felt kinda guilty because I wouldn't be buying it from him anyways.

I heard the from another sales guy from another dealer that carries the ANTHEMs....he said, the quality is great but the availability is not so great because they only manufacture so many at a time in a certain cycle and it make it harder to take
hold of a certain model/color if you wanted to purchase one unless you can wait a while and you will get the product.

Now, I'm getting a little closer as my piggy bank is getting a LITTLE heavier but not quite yet and I still haven't decided on which brand to buy ROTEL/ANTHEM........I have asked this question too many times on this board already and MANTIS must be getting tired of hearing about it.........I will definitely be buying one of the brands through a blind eye without going to demo them..........I wish someone could decide for me (OR FLIP A COIN) .......the price will be about the same but I know the Rotels will be much easier to obtain because of the availiabilty (more dealers and better known) for the Anthems ....they will take longer to get a hold of but may sound as good as or better than the ROTELS?.
ROTEL:
RC 1070
RB 1080

ANTHEM:
TLP1
MC20

I may be using these amps on a pair of studio 100's (sorry to say)

So your opinions will surely help me flip the coin........MANTIS and all the polk brothers/sisters?

dc.

ANY
:confused::D
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    I've heard the anthems and would like to get one of their amps. But then, I'm looking at the MCA50 and maybe also another amp for future expandability..... I REALLY liked the way that they sounded, but it wasn't on speakers that I have, so I don't know how to compare their speakers to mine.

I like the build, and the warranty is a good one. What is the price of the 20 that you're looking at?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2003
    IMHO...The Anthem spanks the Rotel!! Don't get me wrong, the Rotel is fine, but it's not in the same league as Anthem!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    Speaker7,
    Don't sweat it man,ask all you want.

Rotel and Anthem isn't in the same Leauge.Rotel is entry level seperates and Anthem would be better compared to B&K.
    Frank Z seems to think Anthem Spanks Rotel.I disagree.When you compare Prices,the Rotel holds it's own very fine.
    Dynamic power I give to Rotel.
    It's all personal anyway.I have listened to both many many times and I perfer Rotel.Throw in B&K and I'll take B&K over both of them ALLDAY.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    I saw/listened to the Anthem on Thursday of this past KLUGE! Unfortunatly the PrePro was connected to Anthem's PVA7 and I was Bumbed out with what I sensed. The prepro most definetly outclassed the Amp which was 100Watt something or other. "Not a good match!." What is frustrating is that if I buy the Anthem my Outlaw does not have the ability to drive test the XLR connects. IMO that is a great feature to the Anthem and if only I could enjoy that type demo it would take me to at least the next level.

The big bonus to the Anthem is the ability to provide full control over each channel while doing the demo. I pushed as hard as possible the B&W line which are totally awesome. I can't imagine any other speaker topping the Polk line on a Par basis.

I have to finish the race or Monsters Inc will be started by default.

Trashed and still celebrating is the EVILE TWIN.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    I saw/listened to the Anthem on Thursday of this past KLUGE! Unfortunatly the PrePro was connected to Anthem's PVA7 and I was Bumbed out with what I sensed. The prepro most definetly outclassed the Amp which was 100Watt something or other. "Not a good match!." What is frustrating is that if I buy the Anthem my Outlaw does not have the ability to drive test the XLR connects. IMO that is a great feature to the Anthem and if only I could enjoy that type demo it would take me to at least the next level.

The big bonus to the Anthem is the ability to provide full control over each channel while doing the demo. I pushed as hard as possible the B&W line which are totally awesome.

First off.......what is KLUGE?

What pre/pro was being used with the PVA amp? Their MCA line of amps is VERY impressive, and you might find your happiness in that line over the more entry levelish PVA's. The AVM2.0(i think that's the right model) is a pretty nice looking piece of equipment, but the only thing that I didn't like about that pre/pro was that the LCD's were bleeding, as if they'd been burned out too much. Something that I would VERY much worry about in paying over 3k for a pre/pro.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    My days are a blurr and my weeks a KLUGE.

It was the 20 and the PVA is a pile of crap. Furthermore, I have no experience with the MCA line... so there ya have it!

LED's I'm not sure where the issue is because I saw the controls just fine.

H
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • SPEAKER7
    edited March 2003
    THANK you all for your great opinions so far...........please add more info if you would like to .....it will make my confusion much more clearer.

I'm still flipping the coin at the moment.......I'm starting to get a little more deperate (ants in my pants)(wanting separates for a new two ch music system) as time goes buy the wanting increases as days goes by......many great opinions from both sides today but I'm still contemplating??? which good brand will win I don't even know I wish I could demo both brands but neither places carries the speakers that I may be buying.

Paradigm studio 100's retails for 2599.99 CDN$(laminate not the real wood veneer that would push the price to 3000.00 but can be had for 2400.00) can be had for 1800.00cdn. I love to have a pair of LSi15's but the retail price here in Canada will be 2699.99 and I don't think the price will not go much lower here in Canada. If the prices where the same I will definitely order a pair LSi15(all the great reviews from the owners on this board) but I guess the exchange rate will add a big chunk to the cost.

The price for the Anthem pre TPL1 retails for 1150.99 but I can get it for about 1000.00 the power amp MCA20 retails for 1500.00 but I can get it for 1200.00. The Rotel pre RC 1070 retails for 750.00 and the RB 1080 retails for 1500.00 but I didnot get a better pricing from the Rotel dealer unless I was seriously interested in buy their products.

A couple of issue....not sure how important they are with the Anthem? The pre amp has a built in tuner and has controls for DVD the Rotel doesn't for the models that I am looking at, The Anthem has balance out puts and I believe the Rotel doesn't except for the higher models, the Power amp for the Anthem has 225watts at 8ohms vs Rotel has 200watts at 8 ohms (almost a non issues). Would this change the equations.......or not?????

SORRY TO BE A BIG PAIN IN THE BUTT....... I'm desparate and poor and wanting to get the best bang for the buck....this will be my first and last upgrade for my two channel music system for a long time unless I win a lottery, my present HT set up is pretty good for now and maybe and upgrade later.

Mantis how about a LITTLE favor........could you purchase the equipment that I have mentioned above and bring them all to your new place and have a demo with each brand with the speaker that I have mentioned to see which will make the best set up. I hope you don't mind because you sure seem to be doing pretty well with all the higher end gear, new house, new truck. ..etc and after the test you can sell them all to me for a discount or you can use them in your other rooms in your new pad....JUST KIDDING!!!!!I think that's alittle too much to ask for.

thanks again all!!!!

dc.:lol:
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Speaker7,
    Mantis how about a LITTLE favor........could you purchase the equipment that I have mentioned above and bring them all to your new place and have a demo with each brand with the speaker that I have mentioned to see which will make the best set up. I hope you don't mind because you sure seem to be doing pretty well with all the higher end gear, new house, new truck. ..etc and after the test you can sell them all to me for a discount or you can use them in your other rooms in your new pad....JUST KIDDING!!!!!I think that's alittle too much to ask for.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    If I was doing THAT good I would BUUY all kinds of stuff,Just to demo.Ok OK you got me,I did buy the Rotel gear for that purpose,to demo it on the Lsi15's.This is true.I know the owner of the Stereo Exchange around my way and he gave me a good deal on the package.Which by the way I will be offering to the forum soon.I offered it to someone else but I don't think he was into it.AHH well.

Your problem allies in you my man.2 channel is very personal.I have however listened to Paradigm Studio 100's on Rotel.Let me tell you,I'm not a BIG fan od Paradigm but it sounded really good.I was listening to them with a little Rotel integraded in the RA1070.Killer Killer sounding Intergraded.It's got 100 watts into a 8 ohm load and alot behind it.I was very impressed with it's performance.I also ran Totem Hawks off of it and was blown away.
    Anthem I only heard there Home Theater gear go so I can't comment on there 2 channel stuff.I did however like the way Def Tech's BP2002's sounded off there HT seperates.......full and warm.I didn't care for Anthem and B&W CDM9nt's,that sounded like otter Hell.Terrible mix and bad bad demo......I don't think I ever heard B&W's cdm line sound worse then that other then trying to run them with Interga.
    Dan
  • SPEAKER7
    edited March 2003
    Thanks again MANTIS (Dan) for your true words and your great audio experience. Well, here is a pic of my temp 2ch system......EXTREME HI END GEAR........

JVD HDVHS PLAYER
    SONY PLASMA
    B&K AVR 507
    CLASSE CD TRANSPORT
    DYNAUDIO SPEAKERS
    1-HUMMER ON TOP
    SANUS STAND

.......Just kidding.......however, this system actually sounds not too bad for the buck.....here is a pair of Polk Monitor 7 which I got for painting my fathers garage back in 1979 (still in good working condition however I have replaced them with the RT 800is for my HT. The receiver is a JVC that I first bought before I replaced it with the HK for my home theatre and also the VCR and the cd player is a Sony which I will have to keep because I will be broke when I finally get hold of my 2ch system sometime soon I hope but may upgrade to a NAD,ROTEL,CAMBRIGE AUDIO cd player.......any thoughts on the brands and especially on the Cambrige Audio because my brother has the 500 model however it doesn't play HCCD and it has the cheapest price tag out of the three brands.

dc.:lol:
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Gotta start somewhere Speaker.Polk monitor7's **** man I run into them alot.Just a couple of days ago a guy had a pair.I tried to snag them but he wasn't into me having them..o well.I try all the time with no luck as of late.
    One day you will own your dream system.......but your mind(wallet) to it and it will happen.......takes time.
    Dan
  • weiser
    weiser Posts: 55
    edited March 2003
    I believe all the components talked about above are excellent in their own right! You have to decide what the priority is to be, strictly home theater, 2 channel audio, or both equally.
    For my system I purchased a quality receiver which works excellent for home theater and went with the anthem tube amp for 2 channel audio using the receiver as pre-amp. This has worked out quite well without having to build two separate systems. As far as power goes it really has no bearing as long as what your hearing is quality sound. My Anthem 40 watt tube amp is far more musical, presenting a deeper and wider soundstage, than either of those solid state amps from anthem and b&k. The advantage with those amps is in the home theater arena providing multiple channels of clean amplification to power a surround system. As far as speakers are concerned the Paradigms are an excellent high mid-fi choice but depending where you are located ( I am assuming in Canada ) you had better get a listen to the Kinima's. I have owned Paradigm's in the past ( and they are excellent ) but the Kinima's are definitely high end speakers that you may be interested in. I believe they represent better value than the Paradigm's at your price point.
    JVC AV48WP30 Widescreen TV
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Sony SAT-A50 DSS DD Receiver
    Sonic Frontiers Anthem Amp 1
    Tara Labs-Axiom Interconnects
    Tara Labs Digital 75 Co-axial
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub