New DB subs - anyone try em yet?

Topper
Topper Posts: 403
edited March 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hi guys!

I'm seeing the new Polk DB sub pop up on a lot of sites now (Crutchfield, etc.) and was just wondering if anyones had a chance to try em yet?

h107DB1040-f.jpeg

(they certainly look awesome eh :). Does anyone know whats new with em outta curiosity? :))
Post edited by Topper on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Thats a good looking sub! Funny, but I actually think the last 2 lines of DB's (those pictured and last years) look better than the Momos!

Havent had a chance to hear them yet tho but Im sure they rock.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Topper
    edited February 2008
    Yep i'm sure it'll rock as well but curious to know whats new :)
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited February 2008
    pickin' one up next week, a ten. ill let you know how they sound!
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • Topper
    edited February 2008
    ilikesound wrote: »
    pickin' one up next week, a ten. ill let you know how they sound!

ok technically its 'next week' already so lets hear the lowdown :)
  • ilikesound
    edited February 2008
    ok, here it is.

Unwrapping the DB, it's just like any other polk product. has some cardboard around it, and is lovingly wrapped up in a crazy bag of plastic. pretty ordinary. upon closer inspection i started to notice the differences in the old vs new forms. the new db sub has a heftier surround, a more beefy spider (from what it looks like) and very sturdy feeling. just pressing on it, it feels like a very power hungry device.

the hookup:

i built a sealed box for this one, 3/4'' MDF of course, and skrewed the sub into it's new home. upon completion i wondered if i should have carpeted the box prior to listening, but, like you all, i just wanted to hear the !@#$er rip. so i hooked it up via the alpine mrf-m450 @ 2ohms, and cranked up some rage against the machine. the bass was liquid...almost totally transparent, though i did have to re-tune my xover freq. to compensate for the larger surface area vs. the 8'' momo. it hit hard, tight and smoothly, just what i expected.
    next up was some beats. popped in the most bass heavy thing i could find, which was the Boston Acoustics "woofer cooker" sub test cd. GD..that's all i have to say about that one. seemed like it dropped off somewhere around 20-18hz, in that ballpark, but enough stress tests until it's broken in, i thought.

next test was the almighty dream theater, my favorite band of all time. i just can't describe the tone of this thing well enough for even myself...it's just smooth sounding. the momo seemed very "metallic" in some strange way, a bit bright on the attack. this thing does have a bigger cone, but i think it's just better designed, honestly. the kick hit hard, and the resonance felt great, just like i was hoping for. i still can't believe i got this for the price i did, it's just a great little 10'' subwoofer. now, i'm indecisive about getting the SR sub, since this thing was just a replacement for the broken momo sub, i just don't know yet. but as far as value vs price vs performance, this thing is worth every penny...

still think the SR is far better, im just sayin..that's my honest opinion. go listen to one if you can, they sound pretty damn good IMO.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2008
    interesting... whats the RMS on those? and u said u pushed 450 into them?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Topper
    edited February 2008
    interesting...

interesting indeed :). Can't wait to try em :)
  • ilikesound
    edited February 2008
    nah, only 400 @ 2ohms. but it sounds better today for some reason. i think it's breakin in quite nicely. a lot smoother today...RMS is 270 on the old one, probably around 290, 300 on the new one i would assume. i just like having the headroom just in case.
    btw, i listened to the lion king soundtrack today, and it sounded fantastic.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • Topper
    edited February 2008
    already have a few of the subs but don't have a car to put them in yet :).
  • cgarnes
    cgarnes Posts: 6
    edited March 2008
    They are hard to beat at their price point. Especially at Buy One Get One 1/2 Off! I like my 10's.