DIY subwoofer kappa perf 12, can I use real wood ?

Options
polkseller
polkseller Posts: 184
edited February 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm thinking of building m own subwoofer with a Infinity kappa perfect 12 inch sub and a home made enclosure.

I see that there is good documentation on this sub and it also has a special magnet port to tune some frequency response in box. A usefull feature.

Is it a good idea to use this car subwoofer to make my home theather/music sub ?

Can I use real 1 inch thick solid maple or birch wood to make the box or its better to use the MDF boards and wood laminate or carpet ?

I plan to use an internal BASH amplifier.
I dont know wich sound material / special fiberglass wool to put in the box..

price:
90$ 12 inch subwoofer ( huge deal)
145$-200 plate BASH amp ( 200 or 300 RMS)
50-100$ wood and material.
Post edited by polkseller on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2008
    Options
    You'll get more responses from people here who are more "subwoofer guru" than I am, but I'll try and respond to some of your questions:
    Is it a good idea to use this car subwoofer to make my home theather/music sub ?
    In general, no it's not a real good idea, but it can work. It really all depends upon the specs of the woofer. As long as you can acheive the response you're after, it can work. In general, woofers designed for auto sound have slightly different parameters that often make them less than ideal for music or home theater installations. Better woofers designed for music or HT use may have lower distortion motors (shorting rings, etc.) but lower sensitivity, for example.
    Can I use real 1 inch thick solid maple or birch wood to make the box or its better to use the MDF boards and wood laminate or carpet ?
    I wouldn't recommend building the box from maple or birch. Although I hate MDF (nasty stuff, really), its properties are just about ideal for speaker and subwoofer boxes. It's heavy, dense, and essentially non-resonant. Also-- and this is important-- it's more dimensionally stable than real wood, and it will be much easier to build an air-tight enclosure with MDF. Less expensive, too. You can finish it however you choose.

The BASH amps are fine.

The stuffing amount/material will be highly dependent upon the actual enclosure that you end up building. A sealed box generally can be stuffed, while a ported enclosure might not need as much.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2008
    Options
    You could try a big old vented box(3 cubic feet) tuned to 22 Hz.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Box? I picked this one up from partsexpress. Well built and finished.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-820
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • polkseller
    polkseller Posts: 184
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Forget my plans... I will buy new polk dsw 500 and be real happy
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited February 2008
    Options
    well the specs look good on that speaker!
    How does it sound?
    What is good about DIY is you can build the sub to the size that fits best in your application.