Bi-Amp from a reciever?

Options
setzer808
setzer808 Posts: 173
edited March 2003 in Electronics
Hey guys, just had a question pop up in my head.

I have RT55i's up front and am currently running them with a single run of cable (Monster Z1) from my A outputs on my Yamaha RX-V496. I was wondering if I could use the B channel outputs and run a second run of cables to my 55's. (after removing the jumper of course.)

Just wanted to know if this is a good/bad/pointless idea.
Polk CS245i Center
Polk RT55i Mains
Polk RT25i Rears
Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
Post edited by setzer808 on

Comments

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited March 2003
    Options
    That would be bi-wiring.
    Bi-amping requires two separate power sources.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Pointless, it would be a ghetto-bi-amp anyway.

Bi-wiring would be perhaps what you are looking for, but will still involve only 1 set of posts on your receiver.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. Just making sure it wouldn't be some "wonderful, life altering" change. I'm considering using my pre-outs and getting a seperate 2 channel amp for the RT55i's anyway...they feel like they could use a bit more muscle pushing them sometimes, though my Yammie does a good job.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Would I benefit by adding a more powerful 2 channel amp to run my mains then? I was thinking either something fron AudioSource or maybe this AMC:

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/amc21250wat2.html

Just curious. I'm kinda broke right now, but I'm always planning my next upgrade and it seems AudioSource and AMC might be good options for me.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    That would be a SPLENDED idea Setz.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Pointless, it would be a ghetto-bi-amp anyway.

i laugh everytime i see that posted.

scott:cool:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by setzer808
    Would I benefit by adding a more powerful 2 channel amp to run my mains then? I was thinking either something fron AudioSource or maybe this AMC:

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/amc21250wat2.html

Just curious. I'm kinda broke right now, but I'm always planning my next upgrade and it seems AudioSource and AMC might be good options for me.

I have the Adcom GFA-545II. You can find this amp for 200-250 (not counting shipping) all over ebay. Its little brother the GFA-535II will push your rt55i to ear bleeding levels. It can be had for 150-200 all over ebay (not counting shipping)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    ok. if I wanted to bi-amp all my speakers.. 5 in all. two front RT1000i's, 1 CS400i, and two fx300i rears..as I understand it I would need 10 amps total for biamping? two amps per speaker = 10 amps, no?? or would I need 5 two channel amps?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I like to see someone is still using the rt55's.They are one of my personal favorites from the rt series......good speakers.
    If you wanna know why Yamaha puts A and B speaker outs on there main channel is the following.A channel is designed for running hometheater.Like if you have all small size speakers in your theater.B side is used for the full range musical speakers you would want to use.Yamaha has a full set of discrete codes to switch all the settings with one touch of a button.Offered only from the 1 thousand dollar range and above.Yamaha is a solid company if you like there sound quality.
    B is also a way to get Multiroom going in it's simplist form.A pair of outdoor speakers or a pair somewhere else in the house.Same source as A but it gets you going.
    If your looking to Improve your sound quality with the rt55's with a wire upgrade,I would look into better quality wire and BI wires to boot.I would also get matching interconnects.This yields the best overall performance.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.