Sunfire Ultimate or Elite 49txi

rodneyat
rodneyat Posts: 67
edited March 2003 in Electronics
I have narrowed my quest for a new receiver down to these two products. I do not have a Sunfire dealer anywhere in my area that actually has the Ultimate in stock and only one local dealer has the 49txi and I auditioned it there and was quite impressed. Of course, I was listening to it through $50K worth of speakers so it had better sound good! When it comes down to it the street price on the Sunfire seems to be about $250 more but it has a lot more power and it is very small and light. That is a big plus! No THX Certification but who really cares about that?? Any thoughts ideas??
Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
Post edited by rodneyat on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    They are both fine receivers.Sound quality I would say it's close.I would love to do a side my side but I haven't ran into a dealer that carries them both.

If I had the choice,I would lean towards the Pioneer Elite.It's an awesome piece and I have alot of repect for it.It's loaded with features and flexability.The Video upconverting is the best on the market today.No one and I repeat No One has done it better then Pioneer.Not to mention you can use the Pioneer Elite dv47ai dvd player with a direct link firewire to the receiver for 6 channel out......and they are the ONLY ones who can do that effectively as well.
    I can go on and on why I would choose Pioneer Elite...........Go man Go.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    PE over a Sunfire?

Man, roll me one of whatever you are smokin'.....

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    What I smoke is called Experience...........I listened did you????

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2003
    Tweeter sells Sunfire gear?

When did they start that?

I'd say listen to 'em both, pick the one you like. My experience with Carver gear would sway me to the Sunfire however.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    I do have a question about running video through the receiver though. I understand that if your TV doesn't have enough inputs or whatever, but generally speaking, why would you want to run your video through the receiver? Why not go from the source to the TV and eliminate (to me) an added jump?

I'm also an advocate of the old addage that the more bells and whistles it has, the worse it will sound.

BDT
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by TroyD
    I understand that if your TV doesn't have enough inputs or whatever, but generally speaking, why would you want to run your video through the receiver? Why not go from the source to the TV and eliminate (to me) an added jump?

As I understand it, the benefit is not having to switch your sources, and your tv, etc. Switch to DVD mode on the receiver and the TV automatically takes the feed, rather than having to switch inputs on the TV as well. If hitting one extra button is a problem, I guess it'd be a good thing.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    Ok, I get the slug factor, but with my TV, just change the channel and you are there.

I guess my point is, why run the signal through another source (adding another chance for unwanted distortion) if you don't have to?

BDT
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    TroyD,
    thats a good point.Clean is clean.What the Pioneer Elite does and most processors in the future will do is just that.Take in all video sources and pass them threw component video.
    Pioneer Elite vsx49txi is claimed as the best on the market in doing so right now.

No Tweeter doesn't carry Sunfire but I do get out of our backyard from time to time.As anything else here,it's personal.Which one suits your needs better.You at you,you would take the Sunfire just because you like Carver of the past.Without even digging into them.
    There's things that we expect out of a given receiver.Which on does it?
    As stated,my choice would eb the Pioneer Elite vsc49Txi.But the Sunfire Ultimate is one hell of a good sounding receiver.I like em both.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited March 2003
    ok, So if a got a TV that has enough inputs, than all the video upchanneling or whatever amounts to pretty much nada.

Well, IF I were in the market to drop a couple G's on a receiver I'd probably do a little more homework. However based on experience on the Carver and Pioneer gear that I own, I'd say I'd give Bob the nod. Pretty much like you, in the absence of a head to head test are giving the nod to PE.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    I agree with you on the video thing.I would much rather run everything straight to the monitor.Pioneer allows all of your video to one input.It's very helpfull.

Yes I have never tested them side by side but have heard them both alot of times.I also have done a shootout with the Sunfire and it sounded better then everything I tested against it except Rotel head to head......It's a good piece.But so is the Pioneer Elite.DID you know that the Pioneer Elite won Receiver of the year????It's been voted by many magazines.......I'd give it my vote as well.B&K's awesome avr507 wasn't out when the voting went down.......strong 2nd place this year was the mighty Denon avr5803.
    Dan