Options
2»

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    Options
    STUFFMD-

First of all, I would love to put your $850 receive up against my Outlaw 1050...you might regret your purchase! heh...

Second of all, the name of the topic is "best bang for about $500???" So I was refering to the Onkyo units priced in this range. Have you ever listend to a Outlaw 1050? I have heard the Onkyo 797, I was not that impressed. It has nice bells and whistles, but it leaves something to be desired in pure audio enjoyment.

Third, I was wrong in saying "alot", so I will back down and change it to "some" people. Example, TonyPTX seems to think his Onkyo 600 has problems powering his LSi series. rickfaldo's Integra DTR 7.1 seems to have problems as well...although it's too eary to judge...it sounds like it has a problem pushing the 4 ohm load. There are others on the Outlaw forums who have upgraded from Onkyo products and and love their purchase of the
    1050. If you really want I'll go did those up for you.

This is not to say that your Onkyo cannot do it. I am just pointing out that many new Onkyo units are not rated to power a 4 ohm load.

The bottom line is, for $500, the Outlaw shoots down the other competion and wins "best bang for your buck" award from me.

Just my thoughts...
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited March 2003
    Options
    BL,
    It does sound like the Outlaw is a great
    receiver and would win the best receiver
    for $500 test. I went to the Oultaw website
    and I wonder why it has 6 channels but
    is not DTS-ES. What is the purpose of
    having 6 channels but not DTS-ES?
    Thanks, Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey Bl,
    Just for the record, I will be upgradeing to the Outlaw amps in the Summer ...great units for the money..especially now that they have mono amps I can upgrade 2 at a time , more my pocketbooks liking.I will still be using the Oink for the Pre end of things. Like I said 200 will always sound better than 100.
    Second...that's the reason I got the Oink was because of all the bells and whistles....( That's what I like ) that's worth an extra 350 to me.The DTS is the most awsome thing I have heard in audio. Music in Orchestra mode to me is outstanding.
    Third...if your were considerate enough to read all the responses, the amount was doubled to $1000..do your homework!!!!!!!
    Fourth My unit is rated down to 3 Ohms...do your homework!!!!!
    Fifth.....I'm glad your on this forum because your into your equipment...and you were also man enough to clarify on "alot" that's the only thing I was busting your balls on to begin with . It's not you, I just hate generalizations when it's not equipment YOU use.
    Peace Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey STUFF-

I did my homework...and I saw that he raied the price to $1K, but it seems the only reason he did it was because no one thinks a $500 amp can push the LSi's and I think otherwise on that issue as you can tell. Plus I would not understand what was going on in forums if I did not read the "all" of the posts on foums I participate in. So maybe you should be more considerate...heh

Also, I never said you Onkyo could not not drive 4 ohm loads...as you do not have one of the newer models that I am talking about. So maybe I should be more clear next time (Onkyo Product Line TX-X00) . If you do your homework, you see that the newest line of Onkyo's have no 4 ohm suport. You fortunately, do not fall in this category. I am not an Onkyo hater, my dad has an older Onkyo and I actually like it.

This forum is great becasue its one of the few places you can teach and learn at the same time.

P.S.- The M-200 is awesome...I highly recommend it!

Later,
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited March 2003
    Options
    It was my understanding that he raised the bar to a grand because in that price range there are many more contenders that will handle the Lsi's well. I have heard the 1050 and I do like it lot, and it is indeed a great value. I havent gotten a chance to listen to the two together but I think that the main point was to find a few receivers, not just one, that could handle them. IMO, you could find something for under about a grand that would handle the Lsi's better than the 1050, especially used. I would check out Rotel, like the rsx-1055, I think I saw one on Audiogon for $800. This is a beast, and I love the sound from this receiver. It could more than likely handle Lsi's no problem. Mike
  • mhw58
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Is the Rotel strictly two channel? What
    are some options for home theatre that
    provide lots of clean power for 5:1?
    Thanks, Mike
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The Rotel RSX 1055 and 1065 are 5 channel receivers. They are rated at 100W x 5 and 75W x 5 respectively. Both are capable of 7.1 channel processing but only contain 5 channels of onboard amplification. I took a look at the 1065 and is seems solidly built and made the B&W's sing effortlessly. Very nice product.

-BL
    TWFTPQ
  • mhw58
    edited March 2003
    Options
    BL,
    Thanks for the info. How much does the Rotel 1055 and 1065
    sell for? How do you think Rotel compares to Onkyo, Marantz
    and Denon?
    Mike
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Those Rotel receivers are conservatively rated at those levels. ;)

The 1055 runs about $1299 retail, and can be had for 20% less if you talk to the right dealer.

The 1065 I think is about $2500? I'm not sure, since I've got my heart set on the 1055.

You can get all the details at http://www.rotel.com

Rotel and the higher end Marantz are very simmilar. Onkyo and Denon aren't really in the same class in my opinion. Rotel stuff is a little (or sometimes big) step up from them.
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Mike-

My local audio store sells the 1055 for $1299 and the 1065 for $1699. If I had to rate these brands for their 2 channel audio I would put them in this order...Rotel, Marantz, Onkyo, Denon.

This is based on the products in the 1K to 2K price range...once you fall under 1K the order would change to this...Denon, Marantz, Onkyo.

Denon seems to maintain a great consistency is their product line. The Marantz and Onkyo units seem to loose some ground when dropping in price.

This is just based on my listening experience...I am not saying that I am right...it's just what I would recommend to my friends looking for the same advice...hope this helps.

-BL
    TWFTPQ
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz
    Rotel stuff is a little (or sometimes big) step up from them.

I definitely agree- They really make some great stuff. I have heard the rsx-1055 with some B&W's and it did a great job. I really wish I had the dough for this receiver, cause this thing is a beast and you will probably find a bit of headroom with it even powering Lsi's. Check into it- definitly my vote for the $1000 bang for your buck receiver. The one on Audiogon for $800 was actually under someones post that was looking for a 1055, so you sould give it a look and see if they still have it. Peace. Mike
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I still say NAD, or AMC for that matter, is definately worth a look (listen).

You will have bad reviews on just about anything, I have TONS of neg comments on my particular Panny dvd player, have YET to have an issue in 3 years. Warranty anyone?

I just don't take a LOT of stock, in a few bad reviews on quality control issues. Features, ease of use, sure - 'it just plain broke', no. (esp of an audiophile level component, which the very people that review them would SEEK out said component, not the avg joe-6-pack consumer that would not even be aware of how to post a review).

Check em out, + the other suggestions mentioned thus far.....

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bolson
    bolson Posts: 16
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I appreciate everyones input. And it sounds like I really need to audition the receivers on my list. Again, thanks for everyone's response!
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by BeginnersLuck

Third, I was wrong in saying "alot", so I will back down and change it to "some" people. Example, TonyPTX seems to think his Onkyo 600 has problems powering his LSi series.

Two things... 1.) as my signature claims in all my posts, I don't have LSi's so I'm not sure how I ended up with 'em...heh but I won't tell if some magically appear at my door. :D

As for my claim on the Outlaw 1050 not listing the 4 ohm loading, I honestly didn't read the "entire" manual in detail. Just jumped to the case and went to the last page of the manual where "most" manufacuters list their product specs. Odd that Outlaw didn't list this.

As for my honest beef about my Onkyo. I claimed it a while back in one of the threads about the SR600. No pre-amp outs. That is my only complaint about the unit which is why I was selling the unit on E-Bay. I'm hoping to make up the cost for the new Rotel rsx1055 that I'll be purchasing this weekend.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....