SDA SRS Interconnect cable

MarcLazarek78
MarcLazarek78 Posts: 65
edited February 2008 in Vintage Speakers
Hello.

What does this do,do I need it,and where do I get it?

Thanks.
SDA SRS 2
Kenwood M1D
Sony DAV-HDX265
Post edited by MarcLazarek78 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    look at the back of your SDA"s, if the connector has two blades.. one small one and one slightly larger one.. you can order a new one from Polk audio. call them up and tell them you are a club polk memeber for free shipping discount.. if your speakers have a pin/blade connector then they no longer make those. and you would need to build your own.. or check ebay for a used one. they aren't to expensive.

when connected, it activates the dimensional 6.5" speaker(s) in each cabinent.. giving you are more full stereo sound. it's good to have a interconnect cable. but your spekaers work fine without them too.. you just don't get the Stereo Dimensional Array soundfield.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    Listening to SDA's without the IC cable is like having sex with your cousin. It's still sex, but it just ain't right.
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Listening to SDA's without the IC cable is like having sex with your cousin. It's still sex, but it just ain't right.
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    Ben

I don't know. i have at least one really cute cousin :eek:

JK! :p
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    You got turned down too:o
    Ha Ha:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MarcLazarek78
    edited February 2008
    I cant really tell what kind it is. The input is under the single pair if speaker wire connectors. They are SRS 2 from '87.

So,what your saying is,the speakers work now,but will function differently?

ATM it does sound like the audio is coming from the center of the pair.
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    SRS's have so many drivers in each cab, the even without the SDA interconnect cable.. they still sound amazing. i know. i had a pair for two years. ;)

right now listening to FM radio.. i have the SDA cable disconnected.. on my 2B's, and i gotta say. it's quite right to me..

I think people think they HAVE to use the SDA interconnect cable 100% of the time with their SDA's. not so.. the SDA's are amazing speakers to listen to even without the cable.

I should start a campaign for people to listen to their SDA's minus the SDA cable.. who's with me??? :p
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    There is a large inductor that will only allow the low frequencies through the outer mid woofers. With the IC cable installed it sends the mids to the opposing speaker so the outer mids run out of phase. With this system implemented correctly you get a very wide sound stage that will knock your socks off. You will think there are other speakers on somewhere in the room when only the 2 are running.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    SRS's have so many drivers in each cab, the even without the SDA interconnect cable.. they still sound amazing. i know. i had a pair for two years. ;)

right now listening to FM radio.. i have the SDA cable disconnected.. on my 2B's, and i gotta say. it's quite right to me..

I think people think they HAVE to use the SDA interconnect cable 100% of the time with their SDA's. not so.. the SDA's are amazing speakers to listen to even without the cable.

I should start a campaign for people to listen to their SDA's minus the SDA cable.. who's with me??? :p

Um... at low levels I might agree with you(it's kinda like a 6db LP XO), but not using your SDA cable nearly all the time? Is there anything we need to discuss? Every thing ok over there? PM me if you need to talk:p
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MarcLazarek78
    edited February 2008
    uhm, my amp isn't here yet,so I figured I would test them function wise with a 80watt shelf stereo. probably 20watts /channel. And it does sound ok,and I can tell how amazing these systems are.Now I am really anticipating the arrival of the Kenwood M1D amp I purchased.
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    take my poll i started ;)
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    Hee hee heee.. your shelf stereo, is probably going to melt, but don't run them to loud.. under powering big speakers like that is not good for the speakers themselves.. but good idea on your new Kenwood amp.. that will help a lot.

but yeah the SRS 2's you have will sound different with the sda cable connected... it's worth having one that's for sure as ben has said.. at least having one, you can then decide if you like the soundstage or not.. and go from there.
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    make sure your amp is common ground. Just take a multi meter, and test between the speaker grounds. If it reads near zero ohms you are good. Also you can tie the 2 speaker grounds together on the amp. Don't let any of this scare ya just simple precautions;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MarcLazarek78
    edited February 2008
    I didn't play them long or at over 1/2 volume. Just waiting until Friday when the AMP is expected to be here.

I'll check around for the IC cable, or suppose I could convert a guitar cord.
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    i need to get me one of these multi meters. i have never used one.. but that would benefit me quite a bit.. as I have a lot of problems with amps lately.
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    If it is blade/blade you will blow up you amp if you get the connection wrong. You have to hook these things up properly! Positive to positive, and negative to negative. Stick around these are wonderful speakers, and some knowledge about the is priceless.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MarcLazarek78
    edited February 2008
    I'm a car audio guy. was,rather.
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • MarcLazarek78
    edited February 2008
    what signal goes through the IC cable. Is it actual wattage?
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    OK. That helps. If someone can tell you if the small blade goes to the small blade, or the small goes to the large you will be in bossiness in no time.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    what signal goes through the IC cable. Is it actual wattage?

Roughly half wattage. 14/16 ga is fine. Is it pin blade, or blade blade? The pin is actually round.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MarcLazarek78
    edited February 2008
    wow that is very odd :)
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    OK. That helps. If someone can tell you if the small blade goes to the small blade, or the small goes to the large you will be in bossiness in no time.

I've wondered that myself as one SRS II has the large blade on top, small on bottom. The other speaker is the exact opposite Does it follow the size of the blade or the location on the plug? I'm going to have to build a cable before long with the XLR connectors I bought and this would be valuable info! Maybe I can decipher it from the diagrams.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • MarcLazarek78
    edited February 2008
    blade/blade.

I imagine large to large,and small to small.
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    avguytx wrote: »
    I've wondered that myself as one SRS II has the large blade on top, small on bottom. The other speaker is the exact opposite Does it follow the size of the blade or the location on the plug? I'm going to have to build a cable before long with the XLR connectors I bought and this would be valuable info! Maybe I can decipher it from the diagrams.

Thanks for volunteering:p Can you test for continuity between the blades so we can get this guy going. Please. Is the large blade connected to the large blade. I forgot.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    blade/blade.

I imagine large to large,and small to small.

I am almost positive you are right, but I also blew up an amp by getting it wrong. It becomes a dead short:eek:

edit

Is this what you have?
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26684&d=1186346352
    8mids, and 4 tweets per cabinet?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2008
    If I had an original cable, I'd be glad to do it. I have a DMM for testing it but I'm SOL on the cable. I shoulda tested the IC I had before I sold the SDA 1C's to Texas42. Oh well....
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Marty913
    Marty913 Posts: 760
    edited February 2008
    avguytx wrote: »

In the case of SDA2's (not SRS), the black wire is straight through large blade to large blade. In the left cabinet however, the black wire (from the jack) is "swapped" and goes to the ground on the SDA XO.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica
  • ben62670
    edited February 2008
    I know that the hot(blk) goes to the negative on the opposing speaker, and they swap internally on the XO. I would just wait till Monday, and call CS, and ask for Ken. He will set you up with the right cable. Just mention you are a CP member, and you will get the discount. The proper cable is about $40 shipped.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2008
    when connected, it activates the dimensional 6.5" speaker(s) in each cabinent.. giving you are more full stereo sound. it's good to have a interconnect cable. but your spekaers work fine without them too.. you just don't get the Stereo Dimensional Array soundfield.

There's one BIG problem if you don't use the cable, you're only using half of the drivers. Therefore, the speakers are not working fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited February 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    There's one BIG problem if you don't use the cable, you're only using half of the drivers. Therefore, the speakers are not working fine.

Wrong! the speakers are working fine. Am I really the only person who understands the SDA's CAN work fine minus the SDA soundfield if you CHOOSE not to use the SDA cable?

All i'm saying.... is you CAN get very good sound from SDA's. esp SRS"s without the SDA cable.. they are not broken if you don't use the SDA cable.. all i'm saying... is the SDA's are quite good even if you don't use the SDA cable is all. they are fine speakers without the SDA cable.. and superb speakers with the SDA cable.

Jesse you are wrong on this one bud... there is nothing wrong with SDA's if you don't have or use the SDA cable.... they are not working to their top potential, but there is NOTHING wrong with their sound if you run them without the SDA cable.. and you have less chance of causing damage to them also if you happen to be using a non common ground amp..

:D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2008
    they are not working to their top potential

BINGO!!!

Now, put the bottle down and step away from the keyboard.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk