seperates vs. receivers......kind of

Options
brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited March 2003 in Electronics
I guess when I've thought about seperates as compared to receivers, it was to make a pretty significant jump up in power going the seperates route.

But, if you go seperates, but stay at the same power rating, is it going to be *THAT* big of a difference?

I dunno why, but for some reason, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be as big of a deal as if I was to be going from say 100wpc to 200wpc.........
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I dunno but this Adcom I have is rated at 100 wats and I swear to god I think It could push a 400 watt speaker without problem. When I turn this thing up the THD LEDs don't even turn on man. If I turned it up any more the dust caps might fall off. Power rating is no different that my Yammer, yet it sounds better, less THD, and it will play louder. My Pioneer Elite is 110 wpc and the Adcom could out run it. What I am saying if the amp is good a 100 clean, honest watts will go a longgggggggggggg way.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ask RonP what it was like going from a 70wpc Marantz rec, to adding 60wpc Adcoms (using the Marantz as a pre). Night and freakin day.

'just do it'

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Ask RonP what it was like going from a 70wpc Marantz rec, to adding 60wpc Adcoms (using the Marantz as a pre). Night and freakin day.

'just do it'

Cheers,
    Rooster

Ron's Adcom's are great amps. My dad owns the same thing. Those amps are pushing 300 watt+ speakers. They are awesome!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I always say find a nice amp that has analog power meters and see what 15-25watts really sounds like. It puts the power thing into perspective. Those first few watts is what most of us listen too. The rest is just for show.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Right up to the crossover point of a 6 pack down and a few friends then all hell breaks loose! ;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i think my mitsubishi da-a7dc amp sounds cleaner then my tfm-35
    being only 75 watts/channel compared to the carvers 250 a channel. much cleaner amp in my openion.

scott:cool:
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2003
    Options

'just do it'

...and the Rooster sums it up nicely. The detail and clarity is freaking awesome, I'm still amazed. More watts do not necessarily translate into better sound.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ron-P i'm considering the same thing as you are. I have three Marantz MA500 amps for the front three speaks.. now need a two channel amp for the rears. I was looking at Adcom amps at around 100 to 125 wpc to closely match my other three amps. I too noticed an improvement in sound quality going to the external amps.

which model of Adcom amp did you go with. and is it a 5 channel amp or a two channel amp?

Al the pal
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have 4 of the GFA-535's, 3 of which bi-amp my mains and center, 4th powers the surrounds. They are all 2-channel amps.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited March 2003
    Options
    RonP,
    More watts do not necessarily translate into better sound.
    I couldn't have said that any better.

I have notice alot of people look towards seperates for more power and never mention better sound quality.
    After all this time,I still don't know why all the attention goes to the power thing.Personally I perfer better sound quality.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No, it's more than just watts, it's also amperage. A friend recently brought over Yammy's old flagship, the RX-V1. It's rated at 105 or 110. Not a significant amount over my Denon at 85 wpc. I threw in an old Peter Gabriel CD that had a nice deep bass line throughout. The Yammy clearly outclassed the Denon. The bass line came through much clearer and less muddled. And not to mention louder too! My speakers at rated at 250wpc. I think I've been fooling myself by running a measley 85 wpc. I need large amounts of glorious power baby!!