Options
2»

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Options
    dustradio wrote: »
    i have built about 10 dyi tube amps. you are best using a single speaker like a lowther for best sound

Have you put together kits, or made your own from scratch? I'd be very interested to hear the details and see pictures, if you have them.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited January 2008
    Options
    i have built about 10 dyi tube amps. you are best using a single speaker like a lowther for best sound
    I'll just warn y'all that 1) Lowthers are a bit of an acquired taste and 2) for best fullrange results, rather exotic enclosure topologies are required for Lowther drivers :-)

That said, I am a big fan of single-driver/fullrange systems (as I am sure I've mentioned before, even here!).

www.fullrangedriver.com is the place to go if you're "fullrange-curious".
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Wouldn't the single driver just address the issue of a high-efficiency speaker on a low wattage amp, or is it more than that?
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Single drivers (and, in some cases, coax drivers like the venerable Altec 604 "duplexes") radiate everything from (to a good approximation) a single point in space. Good ones in stereo pairs can provide excellent to stunning imaging IMO (and IME). They also (more often than not) avoid the pitfalls (e.g., phase anomalies) of crossovers. They also, of course, avoid the power-wastage of crossovers, so, yes, most folks would probably see FR drivers as one solution to the "low power amp/high efficiency speaker" problem. Not all FR drivers are actually all that efficient (the Jordan drivers come to mind).

There's no rule that says you cannot use a FR driver with a powerful amp (although the power handling capability of many FR drivers, especially vintage ones, can be rather limited)

Of course, getting full-range performance from a single driver is always a compromise... but there are a slew of full-range drivers (new and vintage) that can provide wonderfully enjoyable musical performance even to today's jaded ears.

YMMV, of course :-)
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I know I'm digging up and older thread, but I started it so, whateve.

What project boxes, or electronics boxes have people used for DIY amps?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I have used several of these for op amp based projects like active xovers http://www.hammondmfg.com/1455V2.htm and one from Sescom. http://www.sescom.com/
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the links. I was looking around at the hammond site but, not looked too "special" to me. I did find this on Pass DIY. Any idea where to get a case like this?
    a30-p3-f4.jpg
    a30-p3-f1.jpg
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Those ATI ones are nice but too bad they are in Thailand.Is the chassis for a tube amp project?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    No just any project. I want my tubes to be covered. I don't know if that is a bad thing, but I want to make my tube amp look like a SS amp with a case like that. Is that a problem?
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    but I want to make my tube amp look like a SS amp with a case like that. Is that a problem?
    Big output tubes need lots of ventalation so you would have to be sure that the chassis sides and top allowed a lot of air flow.Hammond does have a selection of tube cages/covers that will work with some of their chassis. http://www.hammondmfg.com/claspg.htm
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Ya. I was hoping that a perferated SS amp case would work, but you don't think it would flow enough air?

I have read a few people in the states who have ordered their products, even though they are in Thailand. I e-mail them for prices, so I'll see if it's reasonable.
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Ya. I was hoping that a perferated SS amp case would work, but you don't think it would flow enough air?
    Sure it would be ok if it had enough ventilation but also the number of tubes,bias levels and spacing will also be factors.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Options
    This guy has a couple of interesting looking options for low powered SE amps. Not a full kit; he has a thing going similar to Hagerman where he sells you the PCB and provides some in depth support and instruction.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Interesting site and products, there. His simple SE board might not be a bad starter amp for someone to taste SE tubes.

However...

Work_Area.jpg

I really cannot recommend soldering topless!

Wonder exactly which market he's trying to reach?
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Interesting site and products, there. His simple SE board might not be a bad starter amp for someone to taste SE tubes.

However...

Work_Area.jpg

I really cannot recommend soldering topless!

Wonder exactly which market he's trying to reach?

Um, yeah, I did see that page. At first I just chalked it up to him being in a warm climate, typically doesn't wear a shirt amd shoes, living the Jimmy Buffett life. Then I read this: "Make sure that the irons cord does not hang too far over the edge of the bench. If it gets caught on the arm of your chair, the iron could be pulled out of its holder when you move your chair. Trust me, it is really NO FUN to drop a hot soldering iron in your lap."

Far be it from me to judge someone's lifestyle choices. That being said, the Tube SimpleSE does look intriguing, many different options for construction, even has a volume control. Hmmm, maybe one of these and a pair of Fostex FE206E based speakers.......
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Well as cool as their cases are, here is what I got for a quote on this case:
    106_0639.jpg
    ATI-639M 1 unit = $353 USD
    The shipping cost for one ATI-639M (choose for one) :

1) Ship by Express mail (5-7 days) = $315 USD
    2) Ship by Economy air parcel (25-30 days) = $191 USD
    3) Ship by Surface mail (8-10 weeks) = $104 USD

So $457 to have it to my house in 8-10 weeks, or $668 in 5-7 days. Not worth it, but cool case though!
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I also found this one:
    http://www.action-electronics.com/lmcapcov.htm
    lmcapp.jpg
    The sides come perforated and I might be able to get the top that way also. Do you think that is enough air flow? Or should I just go with a classic tube amp chassis.