Amp goes into protection mode

Bubba -NJ
Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
As the title says , my 4 channel amp goes into protection mode when I turn my volume up to about 18-20 , causing a loss of sound . My set up was working fine for about a month . I don't have a capacitor and have not changed my alternator . I could crank it up as loud as I wanted it with no problems at all , but now it cut's out and the protection led lights up red for a few seconds . When I turn the volume down , the sound comes back and the red led changes back to green . My mono amp keeps playing my subs just fine . Any help is always appreciated .
Post edited by Bubba -NJ on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    What amp and what speakers? How is the amp mounted?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    Consider getting a fan mounted to the amp if it's in a really tght space.
  • Bubba -NJ
    edited January 2008
    Amp is a Massive Audio P400.4 and mounted under the rear seat of my suburban . Open air space all around . I checked by feeling the surface when it cut out , wasn't hot at all .
  • Bubba -NJ
    edited January 2008
    While I was waiting to pick up my little girl at school I decided to do some tinkering with the Fade and Balance settings on my head unit . I discovered that my right rear component speaker is not working . I had a problem with the left rear a couple weeks ago , speaker wires came apart at the connectors to the speaker , so I'm guessing it is the same problem only on the other side this time . Could this be the reason for the cutting out ? I've checked all the other connections on the amp and they are all fine .
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    If the speaker leads short circuit, yes, that can cause the amp to go into protection.
  • Bubba -NJ
    edited January 2008
    I rerouted the speaker wire and re-attached , power window must have pulled off one of the wires . Problem solved . Thank you to those that helped . This place is an invaluable source of info .