Mini Baltimore get together

Options
MillerLiteScott
MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
edited January 2008 in Gatherings & Special Events
Ben (Strider) came over to my house last night for a listen. He brought some great listening material. I was blown away by the Mapleshade CD that he brought over. If anyone ever has a chance to listen to or buy anything from Mapleshade do not hesistate. Simply awesome. The other stand out was a Goodwill find copy of Donald Fagens' The Nightfly on vinyl. Even with my free to me (probably $60.00 when it was new 20 years ago POS hollow plastic plinth TT) it just sounded so good. We even did a quick comparison between the Vinyl and CD by switching the input on my integrated and we ended up listening to the Vinyl. I can't wait to get a better TT. We also started off by listening to my TL'ed 2B's and then my stock 1C's and both agreed that the 198 is a very sweet tweeter and made the 2B's sound very nice. The 1C's with the SL2000's were harsh (no surprise) and did not have the low end deep slam or thump that the 2B's have ( new better caps). The 1C's definitely have the advantage in the midrange with percussion and added textures probably a result of the additional drivers.

The original plan was to listen at my house for a while and then go to Bens house for a nice vinyl demo, but we did not break away from my basement early enough for me to go out, you know the house arrest thing:rolleyes:. We will definitely get together at Bens house again and listen to his rig.

All in all a great Polkie get together and I learned a lot about TT and all the associated accessories from Ben. I think I am going to try to find a deal on CL for a TT, and buy all the cleaning gear before I start to climb up the TT food chain.

Scott
I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
Post edited by MillerLiteScott on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Always good to hear of good pokie gatherings.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Hey Scott, I have that subwoofer for you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Ben was telling me about it. Sounds interesting. Just let me know.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I'm sorry I couldn't make it guys. It sounds like it was a good time to be had. Please let me know when the next one comes up. BTW my wife is going away for the weekend this coming, he he he.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Had a good time Saturday as well, thanks for hosting, Scott. The upgrades Scott did on his 2Bs make a profound difference, it was good to get an ear to them. That Mapleshade sampler does sound good, I enjoyed it on my system, but I think Scott's turned his rig up a notch or two with the TL's and the MF integrated. Sunday, however, was depressing. I really need to get working on updating my stuff.

Joe- don't worry, my wife's going away for a week or so sometime in the spring. We'll do it all over and I promise to give more then a couple day's notice. You say your wife's going away this weekend, huh?;)
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Ben it was a good time. I wish that I did not have so many other distractions and sorry I could not make it to your place that night. I will come to your place soon. Just let me know when you have the time.

Scott