i need a better meter.

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited March 2003 in Speakers
i just peged my rs spl meter at 3 feet c weight fast playing brass monkey and there was very little to none thd. but boy were thoes subs moveing. i was trying to check for air leaks but the cones move so much air it was hard but i had none. i might have to get sothing with around 30hz music in it. now
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Told ya you would bury the meter.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    what db did you have the meter set to.. 70, 80, 90 or more? i use 80db and set speakers up at 75db c weighted, slow response.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    what db did you have the meter set to.. 70, 80, 90 or more? i use 80db and set speakers up at 75db c weighted, slow response.

uhhhhh..........try 120

SVS
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm jealous...really jealous...

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    at that volume of 120db hearing loss will happen. but it's not my ears. have fun. i'm glad my little system can't reach those levels.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nellis8166
    edited March 2003
    Options
    what???could you speak up??? can't hear you...
    just playing....that is loud, I would love to have that kind of power in my rig...hearing loss or not.

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i just turned it up that lout to get a peak reading. had it at that level for about 1 min then turned it down. that is way beter than i ever had in my car and i had 4 12 and alot more thd now i just have 1 so i get the low end for music.
  • nellis8166
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Like I said Ganzo, I am jealous, very jealous...better be careful, sounds like you might be capable of structural damage...love it!!!!!!

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Get Bela Fleck and the Flecktones "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo". it's the name of a song and the name of the CD. That song will dig really low and probably cause some structural damage to your house. It's awesome!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Gonzo - you never did say what scale your meter was set to - I was guessing 120 dB and you pegged it, which would have been 130?

And yes guys - hearing loss can occur at those SPLs, but hearing damage is much more likely to occur in the upper midrange frequencies, rather than in the low bass range.

People will sit in a room and comfortably tolerate (and even enjoy) SPL bass peaks of 110 dB, whereas the same SPL at 3,000 Hz would send them screaming for cover with their hands over their ears.

I'm pretty sure Gonzo was just doing an SPL "drag" to shake down the sub.

The REAL benefit of this much horsepower is the effortless dynamic range and ultra low THD this sub will have even at normal/loud HT playback levels (peaks in the 108-112 range). Most subs will be struggling badly at this level and his will be coasting along without even breaking a sweat.

In fact, this sub is capable of true reference level playback which is defined as 115 dB from the LFE channel. If his speaks are set to small, add approximately 6 dB more to that because his sub will then also be handling the surround bass too. If there is a coincidental bass hit in both the LFE channel and one or more other surround channels, that would require the sub to kick out upwards of 121 dB peaks. U-571 is notorious for this particular trait - it has full power depth charges in all surround channels and also in the LFE channel.

Stryke Force can do it - very few subs can. Mine cannot - I would need two PC+ to hit true reference levels in my room.

Doc

SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    it was on c weight and yes i was olny testing the system bass for peak. but i never get near referance levels when i watch a dvd olny when i demo to frends. but my old sub was lacking a bit. my room is big 25x16x8 and it opens to the rest of the basement. my last sub was prety loud but couldent give you that presure feeling when the bass hits. i herd black halk down is suposto have some 8 hz bass in it.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    OK - one more time - what dB scale was the meter on, and what SPL did you peg it at?

Yes, BHD has full strength bass at 8 Hz - you will need to disable the SVS01 to give it a try.

In fact you may want to run one more sweep with the SVS01 out of the loop to see how deep Stryke Force really goes. The RS CF's are very suspect way down that low, but at least we can get a relative picture of the ultra low end.

Be careful on BHD if you disable the SVS01. It is the "Irene" scene where all the Black Hawks are lifting off and the black guy's whisky glass is rattling off the table. RTA scans show full power signals to below 10 Hz. That big hump at 16 Hz in your FR should really kick it out in this scene - you will FEEL it but not HEAR it.

SVS