Setting up a Denon for 6.1

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2003 in Electronics
Hello

I recently purchased another Polk speaker too add as a back center surround too my system. I was reading in my Denon manual about setting it up for the 6.1 and had some questions if somebody was familiar with this. I have a 2802...

Anyway when you get too the setup screen and go into speaker setup and add the surround back speaker another menu option come up that says SB auto Ch flag detect. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to set these too becuase the first option is on or off and the manual says it recommends this to be off?? I would think you would want it on wouldn't you?

And if you do enable it another option comes up that say non flag souce sb channel output with your selections being
MTRX-On non matrix-off
DTS-ES
I assume if you enable it you would want Mtrx on then?

Thanks for any help!!

Steve
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    OK,
    theres some thinking neede to be done here.If you turn on the matrix,it will allow you to use surround back in 5.1 playback.If you leave it off, you will hear the recording the way it was.........recorded.
    Now the choice is yours there my friend.
    O **** I missed it, yes turn the auto flag on,some disc's have the flag.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Systems
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hello

Thanks for the info, I have some more questions though, this is starting to get a little confusing.

Do you know why the manual wants you too leave the auto flag detect too off? Is it because they want you to enable it manually when the back channel signal detect light is on?

I understand about the matrix being on or off depending on how you want to listen too 5.1 but from what I've been reading alot of these dvds that have dts-es or dd-ex won't flag the receiver and enable the 6.1 so in that case do you have to make sure matrix is enabled to take advantage of those dvds?

I also understand that some of these dvds' don't have a seperate back channel unless it says dts-es 6.1. The others dts-es and dd-ex use the matrix to run the back center surround.

So am I making myself more confused or is this on track?

Thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hello again,

Okay guess I'll follow up on this a little more. I talked to a tech a Crutchfield a little today, he was a little confused about it too but this is what I decided to set it at, so see if I'm okay on this then. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I did find out that my 2802 doesn't so DD-EX but that doesn't matter as I'm partial too any DTS encoding be it standalone dts or dts-es or dts-es 6.1. I guess the receiver likes it too:) Anyway I'm going to leave the SB ch auto flag detect enabled with the matrix dts-es option enabled also. And just leave it like that all the time if i'm using DD 5.1, or DTS-ES, or whatever the receiver "sees" as an input, it will do its own thing. Does that make sense?

One other question too is when I bring up my "sound parameter" configuration screen theres no room size option on there. Do I need to enable something else to get that option too appear or should I even worry about it at all.

Thanks for the help, this 6.1 stuff is really new too me and I'm learning more about it all the time.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    So are you cool?If not my man,I'll try some more.
    Dan
  • Systems
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hello

Yes I think so, fairly cool anyway:) If I choose non-matrix then the receiver will only play "pure" 5.1 or "pure" 6.1 when available then?

And when the dvd has dts-es matrix I would have to change it back too matrix mode then? Or if I leave it in matrix can the receiver switch from es(matrix) too es(discrete6.1) as it sees fit?

I'm almost at 6.1 Nirvana.....

A follow-up too this and I'll quit bugging you guys and go enjoy my theater:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sartoni,
    Yes I think so, fairly cool anyway If I choose non-matrix then the receiver will only play "pure" 5.1 or "pure" 6.1 when available then?
    Yes in a nutshell.
    And when the dvd has dts-es matrix I would have to change it back too matrix mode then? Or if I leave it in matrix can the receiver switch from es(matrix) too es(discrete6.1) as it sees fit?
    again Yes allday
    I'm almost at 6.1 Nirvana
    This is a good thing,you'll get there.Keep playing with it.You'll see what it does.
    A follow-up too this and I'll quit bugging you guys and go enjoy my theater
    bugging who??me........speak my man speak, how else are you going to learn alittle more???I'll answer all your question to the best of my ability anytime.Thats what this forum is all about.And If I don't answer,I'm sure someone else will pick it right up.

DON"T BE SHY OR FEEL STUPID......ask away anytime,
    Dan:)
    Dan