Need suggestions on B&K or Sunfire

Options
Apex
Apex Posts: 69
edited March 2003 in Electronics
I'm looking into getting a new reciever.I was wondering if you guys give me some of your opinions on these two reievers B&K 507 or the Sunfire ultimate reciever.Cause i'm kinda tied in between the two.:confused: .

Thanks guys
Justin
H/K AVR7000

"LSI25's bi-wired with 2.4s

Mirage OM c2 Center "LSiC soon"

FX300i rears "LSi15's soon for the rears".

Post edited by Apex on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Based on specifications alone I would have to say that the Sunfire would be my choice, but then again we are talking about your money and not mine. Any chance you can "Borrow" 1 of each from your favorite Hi-End store and try them out in your own home? Mind if I ask why you are not going the seperates route?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Apex
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Simplicity.
    H/K AVR7000

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    k
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    apex,
    They are both fine receivers.Both have there advantages.
    I lean towards the avr507.I own the avr307,it's a fantastic piece.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Justin,
    that's one FINE system you are building there....25/15/c..I agree with you, simplicity is a big consideration, but if you are going to spend the money in that range, why not at least audition them? (you might have done that?) B&K ref50/ref 200.7 are worth to listen to. 507 is a very nice unit...Either way, in that price range, you are getting the premium quality and both will excel. if you asked me, I would go with 507 (I am sure Tour2ma would disagree with me)...life is all about choice, isn't it?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Apex
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Justin,
    that's one FINE system you are building there....25/15/c..I agree with you, simplicity is a big consideration, but if you are going to spend the money in that range, why not at least audition them? (you might have done that?) B&K ref50/ref 200.7 are worth to listen to. 507 is a very nice unit...Either way, in that price range, you are getting the premium quality and both will excel. if you asked me, I would go with 507 (I am sure Tour2ma would disagree with me)...life is all about choice, isn't it?

Thanks Polka,

I'm leaning towards the sunfire since it has more power.and less THD.

THanks guys
    Justin
    H/K AVR7000

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Call me a sucker, but I love Bob Carver's products....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sunfire
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2003
    Options
    sunfire...
    buy it from me new, may be i can beat the price your getting it for with s&h ?? just a thought, could use the business. i work for a sunfire dealer.. e-mail me;)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    hey if you go pre prow after you set them up with a 12v trigger they will act as 1. hopefully if i get enough leftover cash this year i will be getting me a ref 200.7 and maybe next a ref 50. or someone who can get me a deal on them.
  • Apex
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ntculenuff
    sunfire...
    buy it from me new, may be i can beat the price your getting it for with s&h ?? just a thought, could use the business. i work for a sunfire dealer.. e-mail me;)

Let me know how much shipped to Ontario,california 91762.

Email me ApexiR222@aol.com

Thanks
    Justin
    H/K AVR7000

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Apex,
    have you listen in with Sunfire on LSi? I am curious, since I think we have enough devotees of b&k that sworn in, as far as matching to LSi series, but I don't believe I read anyone with Sunfire. If you have audition Sunfire on LSi, then this is a moot point. Good luck and let us know what do you think of the pair!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Apex
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Apex,
    have you listen in with Sunfire on LSi? I am curious, since I think we have enough devotees of b&k that sworn in, as far as matching to LSi series, but I don't believe I read anyone with Sunfire. If you have audition Sunfire on LSi, then this is a moot point. Good luck and let us know what do you think of the pair!

No i haven't listened to the recievers yet.Also i didn't listen to my Lsi's before i bought them.I just knew that they would exceed my expectations,and they did.

But i have listened to the B&K 307,at tweeter.They don't carry polk though.I have yet to get the chance to audition the sunfire.
    Since the place is about a half an hour away from me.

Thanks
    Justin
    H/K AVR7000

• mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have heard the Sunfire Ultimate receiver and I can tell you this,it's a fine sounding receiver.I did a 4 way shootout awhile back that included the Sunfire.It came in second overall.It lost to Rotel seperates in the rsp1066 and rmb1075 running Totem speakers.
    The 5 way shootout was a Denon avr5803,Sunfire Ultimate receiver,Rotel rsp1066/rmb1075,Kenwood Soviern 5900,and a Integra DTR8.2.The order of the shootout was as follows.
    5)Kenwood.........last place by far
    4)Integra............close but lost to the Denon one on one
    3)Denon..............close to the Integra,edged warmth and detail
    2)Sunfire..............beat the Denon for the right here
    1)Rotel.................overall the very best sounding of the bunch.

I would love to do a shootout with B&K vs the Sunfire.I feel the B&K had it was carried by this company I was at,I bet it would have won hands down only to be challenged by the Rotel.
    I have tested the B&K vs the Denon and it is no compare.

But out of respect for the Sunfire,it's a nice sounding clean well powered receiver.4 grand??????I'd much rather have the B&K avr507.
    Dan
  • Apex
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks Mantis

Justin
    H/K AVR7000

• mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    you got it man......allday
    Dan
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited March 2003
    Options
    What about all night there, Danny boy?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk