Progressive scans under $600

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I am going to purchase my first progressive scan dvd player. I really like the new JVC 7-disc with dvda. What are you guys using and or suggest? Thanks for the input, scott :cool:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2001
    Options
    My question to you is what kind of tv do you own.It's not about the price of the playeer that counts so much,it's making a good match with the qualty of tv you own.
    If you own a High Def tv,you want a good Progressive scan DVD player.But if you have a Stndard tv,don't waste your money on a progressive DVD player as you will not beable to use it.
    I have found that the cheap Progressive DVd player's like the JVC don't have a great picture.The Toshiba 9200's picture is fuzzy and just about ghosting like an off ait antena would.Pioneer Elite 38a and the dv37 are great player's.Sony make's awesoe player's as well.
    Be carefull with what you buy,price is one thing,quality is another.You going to hav to spend at least 799.99 if you want a great player.
    Good luck
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited November 2001
    Options
    mantis,

just wonder what brand/model high definition tv and dvd player do you currently own? just curios...i'm still saving some more dough to pay for my new tube.

dc.
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I am purchasing a new HD crt front projector. Ya, I only want to know peoples experience with progressive through HD equipment. The Pioneer Elite dv37 seems to be really good but I am wondering if I really need to spend that much. I DO believe you get what you pay for though. :confused:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I'm in the middle of building a new house.The basement is going to have a stand alone theater.15x22.I'm stepping the floor to hold 3 rows of seats.I want to use the Runco 101c with the new vivex controler/scaler.I wil not need a progressive scan player as i'm going to use the Pioneer Elite dvf-07 301 disc DVD player.
    Here's the thing.Mot HD tv manufactures think you don't think you need a progressive scan DVD player as there tv's upconvert to 480p.Now I have seen it both ways and let me tell you it makes a killer difference when you use a progressive scan DvDplayer.Using a crt and a matching screen ,you should buy a good scaler/doubler/quad if you will and progressive will not matter.
    If money kicks me in after I build out the basement I will be forced to use the Pioneer Elite Pro720hd which is a killer rear projection tv standing at 64 inch screen.I will use the ioneer Elite dv38a withthat set asI have tested it with just about every dvd player on the market.(Sony,toshiba,JVC,Panasonic,Pioneer and Elite,Denon) I have found the Pioneer Player's are the best of the bunch,but sony comes in very close 2nd and the Denon right there as well.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    Options
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Thanks Ron P, I have read that shootout many times and it didn't really help. The players they really like are the multi. thousand $ ones. Well duuuuaaaa! They found some sort of problem with them all. Actually the Denon at the top of that shootout page is the one I chose.The new Denon DVD-2800 it seemed to be the right one for me after I accepted the price. The Pure Progressive chip by silicon image is only found in really expensive top end models. The dealer price is $800 with tax. Crutchfield doesn't even have them in stock. They sold out. I just picked one up on e-bay for $500 with latest firmware. I can't wait. Later:D
  • gprabu
    gprabu Posts: 106
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I have the Panny RP91. Iam very happy with it. I just got it last week. I have a sony wega XBR. The visual is awesome. I can see the difference between panny and my old pioneer 434. It is really worth the money. I found it open box for $325.00. for that money it is a killer.

GP
  • phd500
    phd500 Posts: 75
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I think your idea about the JVC is a very good choice. I am going to buy this player as soon as I get payed next week. I was looking at sony, but they have allot of quality problems. Pioneer is a good chouice, but for all the features and the price, I defintly would stick with the JVC. I have read reviews on these players and there performance was as good as some $1000 and above DVD players. It's a good choice. Where are you getin yours from? I am gettin mine at Crutchfield. O, and if you buy stuff off the internet go to www.etronics.com they have it for $280.00!!!